Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

Currently have Google Fiber - 'free' 5M service
14%
Currently have Google Fiber - 100M or 1 Gigabit service only
20%
Currently have Google Fiber - TV + 1 Gigabit service
41%
Am in a deployed Google Fiber area but sticking with current or moving to other ISP
1%
Am in a planned area, intend to get Google Fiber
10%
Am in a planned area, sticking with current ISP
1%
None of the above/something else
13%

Total votes: 87

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Am particularly curious how many can get Google Fiber but are sticking with other ISP and why. TWC just announced 300Mbps service for KC, which frankly is good enough for most but the rate is not better than GFiber gigabit (also about $70/month and I think only first year).

Will be interesting to see if Google improves TV service as they are lacking a bit behind others (sports, AMC). Google also doesn't offer a middle tier, like 100M for $40. I don't think they'd consider a middle tier unless not getting the subscription rate they want, which so far doesn't seem to be an issue, but with TWC now being able to compete a little better... Anyone thinking of Google planning to stick with TWC now that they have 300M?

Will post this poll on techie/telcom sites. Please don't answer about getting GFiber if not directly planned in your area, with actual city agreement to deploy. Austin/Provo people can play too, but must be registered user to vote.

Edit: On the sticking with current ISP options, also includes switching to other than Google. If you currently have Google and switching to something else, also select 'sticking with current'.

Edit: ISP = Internet Service Providers
Last edited by earthling on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Do you have or plan to get Google Fiber?

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I just signed up for the free. I really wish they would offer a middle tier for 35 a month, id sing up in a heartbeat. 70 just seems to steep. I stream on the lowest quality netflix so i don't think the free internet will be a big deal
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

$70 is steep for just internet, but together with the TV for $120, the package is competitive. However, I am disappointed that in close to a year, Google has made very few improvements to the TV service. I knew going in it was a new service, but expected them to be responsive to feedback and make more timely improvements.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I just signed up for the free. I really wish they would offer a middle tier for 35 a month, id sing up in a heartbeat. 70 just seems to steep. I stream on the lowest quality netflix so i don't think the free internet will be a big deal
The 5M service does handle Netflix 4.3Mbps 1080HD stream with no issues. I know a couple 5M users getting that and able to browse at same time w/out impacting quality.

It would be nice to see Google offer a middle tier but they want to create a large Gbit install base. I imagine they may eventually do a middle tier if not getting subs rate they want. So far that doesn't seem to be an issue. Will be interesting to see how TWC prices a middle tier.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

lock+load wrote:$70 is steep for just internet, but together with the TV for $120, the package is competitive. However, I am disappointed that in close to a year, Google has made very few improvements to the TV service. I knew going in it was a new service, but expected them to be responsive to feedback and make more timely improvements.
I guess I don't really concur. Saying that $70 is steep for just internet, when the internet is 1 Gig, is like saying that $7 is steep for a double patty, wagyu beef, foie gras and black truffle-laden burger when a regular double cheeseburger is less than $2 at McDonald's. What you are getting for the money is in a completely different stratosphere. It isn't "just a burger." It is the best burger in America, but in a scenario more unrealistic where everyone universally agrees that it is the best burger in America.

I think they have rolled out quite a few improvements since I first got the service in February. Even in that short time period, they have added a Youtube App, mobile to TV video "flinging" (just Netflix and Youtube), and custom guide menus. I find the TV product to be so far ahead of what I had with TWC in both picture quality and overall features, it isn't even fair to compare. I'm really hoping they roll Android TV into the box in the next few months. If they do that, the set top from Google could be best in class with built-in support for Chromecast "casting" and Google Music.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Those are good points. TWC compresses video significantly while Google doesn't compress video beyond what the content provider gives them. Google's better picture quality is noticeable. Would like to see them add Chromecast receiver in TV box as well. They need to allow tablet app to play any TV/DVR content as I think TWC can do.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I feel the gigabit is really overrated. Most use wifi anymore, and unless you have worked to maximize wifi setup, most are probably only getting 50-100 mbps over wifi. Still a lot faster than I had with TWC, but I never hardwire so never see the gigabit. The only thing I really notice is the faster upload speed.

They have made improvements to the TV service, but with such basic services like remote DVR programming, AMC, etc. missing they still have some catching up to do. I find the things Google has to be "bells and whistles" while some of the "nuts and bolts" are missing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Those are good points too, especially not able to schedule DVR remotely. Gbit comes more in handly in a large household doing many things at once. Faster uplink matters too. The 300 that TWC is now offering is likely enough for large households as well but costs the same as Google's Gbit and I think TWC is only 20 uplink while Google is 1000/1000. TWC has edge with TV in some ways and Google in others - Google can easily fix most of the issues mentioned with software releases. I don't think they'll budge on AMC though. Is nice to have options in KC. And there's a good chance AT&T will offer Gbit in KC too.

I disagree with this one though..
I find the things Google has to be "bells and whistles" while some of the "nuts and bolts" are missing.
The core nuts and bolts Google service is solid, faster and video quality is much higher - better than other ISPs, with exception of some missing channels many want. There are bells and whistles that other ISPs have that Google hasn't caught up to yet.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

I don't understand AMC. How far apart can they really be? Cents per month per subscriber? Unless AMC is demanding some ridiculous amount of money (and if so, Google should level with us about that), why have such an obvious reason for people to stay with TWC?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I am signed up and the 'hood has qualified, but I have no idea when install might actually happen. They said August 8 would be when they were starting, but who knows. Not having AMC kinda stinks, but I'm happy(ish) to pay Amazon a couple bucks per episode until they straighten it out if I have to.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mean wrote:I am signed up and the 'hood has qualified, but I have no idea when install might actually happen. They said August 8 would be when they were starting, but who knows. Not having AMC kinda stinks, but I'm happy(ish) to pay Amazon a couple bucks per episode until they straighten it out if I have to.
There is so much good television on nowadays, I don't really mind waiting a year for it to show up on Netflix.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I'm 100 miles from the nearest Google Fiber, so I'm stuck between Cox and AT&T.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

bobbyhawks wrote:
mean wrote:I am signed up and the 'hood has qualified, but I have no idea when install might actually happen. They said August 8 would be when they were starting, but who knows. Not having AMC kinda stinks, but I'm happy(ish) to pay Amazon a couple bucks per episode until they straighten it out if I have to.
There is so much good television on nowadays, I don't really mind waiting a year for it to show up on Netflix.
Am thinking of dumping GFiber TV. Most everything is sensationalized, even Science, NatGeo and History channels. Am using Roku and Playon, which allows streaming a lot cable content. Between that, Netflix and Amazon, have even less interest in Pay TV.

Will be interesting to see if PopcornTime becomes the Napster of TV/movies. Completely illegal but is taking off and now has Chromecast support - though early beta. Not suggesting to use it but if it hits mainstream like Napster did, might force content providers to make things easier/cheaper to access/stream first run content.

So the poll sample is still small but curious to see that no one so far staying with other ISP.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Roanoker »

I'm the "one" so far that chooses to stay with my current ISP, even though others in my neighborhood sport the colorful bunnies in their yards. I'm happy with my current ISP service. I don't need zippety-flash speed, and what I have now is just fine. Also, I do not want to change my email address. Furthermore, I have learned over the years that any kind of change--especially in the technological area--brings along with it unexpected, undesirable baggage. Maybe Google got it right and all the rest of you will be delighted. I hope so.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Usually not a good idea to use an email tied to an ISP as locking you in is what they want to do. Google Fiber is new and considered experimental by some, so would think many would wait for the kinks to be worked out but it is solid service for their first try. Not offering a middle tier will be a turn off to many too. I was thinking they may grab 30% of KC but sounds like it could be around 50% of actual homes passed by so far.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Comcast just announced they will boost speeds to up to 150 at same price as 100 (several KC burbs). TWC announced yesterday they are boosting to 300 at same price as 50 a couple years ago. Lower speed tiers are typically doubled at same price, but the uplink rate is not very high. TWC is also now offering a $450 Windows tablet with upper tier TV service. Competition is good.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 45967.html

Hopefully this will encourage Google to offer a middle speed tier but don't see it happening unless they see subscription rate decrease.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

earthling wrote:Comcast just announced they will boost speeds to up to 150 at same price as 100 (several KC burbs). TWC announced yesterday they are boosting to 300 at same price as 50 a couple years ago. Lower speed tiers are typically doubled at same price, but the uplink rate is not very high. TWC is also now offering a $450 Windows tablet with upper tier TV service. Competition is good.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 45967.html

Hopefully this will encourage Google to offer a middle speed tier but don't see it happening unless they see subscription rate decrease.
I have yet to hear TWC and others convince me that your bill won't require constant monitoring and frequent very long phone calls to retain a fair rate. I find the flat fee and absence of random surveys/fee bumps/promotion sales pitches refreshing.
Unknown JimmyD
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Unknown JimmyD »

google fiber needs to get its butt out to blue springs already. i currently have uverse... had it since they first offered it out here (5 years ago?)... dropped comcast as soon as i could. uverse has actually been extremely reliable for me, internet and tv... and the customer service has been, unbelievably, very prompt and responsive when needed. it is, however, ridiculously priced... and seems to go up every other month. $120+/month for u200 and 1.5mbps internet (yes, 1.5mbps, you read that correctly). like i said... ridiculous. then again, even if i could get the same channels and faster internet for cheaper from comcast, i'd rather pay more and stick with uverse. comcast can go die in a fire.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just dropped uVerse after 10? years. Price creep and two weeks without service because there were "higher priority" customers they had to help, was the end for me. Have Comcast now and it's fine. Ready for Google fiber!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm on the fence. $70 would be about $12 more than I'm paying now for internet, and I don't have or want cable.

My biggest complaint with ATT is that they throttle service in the evenings. We never have a problem streaming movies during the day, but when we want to watch shows at 8pm, without fail, we get spotty service. Does Google avoid such issues? I would consider paying $70 for more consistent service.