Hospital Hill activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Hospital Hill activity

Post by FangKC »

I noticed a building that housed Excel Linen Supply, on the east side of Holmes north of 22nd Street (just south of the railroad tracks on the bluff), has been demolished; and there is excavation of the property going on right now.

Does anyone know what is happening with this parcel?

Excel Linen apparently moved out and sold the property to Children's Mercy Hospital. I don't recall Children's Mercy announcing any plans for the site though.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/p ... l?page=all

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Hospital Hill activity

Post by KCDowntown »

Their plans just went before the City Plan Commission. Basically, Truman wants to put low-level hospital buildings on most of the area between Truman and the railroad tracks.

KCDowntown
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

But this site is owned by Children's Mercy Hospital. I know that Truman Medical Center is planning a new office building on Charlotte north of 22nd Street.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ances.html
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Truman and CHM traded land recently. I wonder if that's part of this?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Update on the new outpatient building Truman Medical Center is going to build on the NE corner of 22nd and Charlotte.

Truman Med plans to build up presence in Downtown

http://tinyurl.com/pdmth8x

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Once again, there's no architect listed with the article or image. Huge pet peeve of mine.
Worn Copy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Worn Copy »

chaglang wrote:Once again, there's no architect listed with the article or image. Huge pet peeve of mine.
Would you want to put your name to that?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Worn Copy wrote:
chaglang wrote:Once again, there's no architect listed with the article or image. Huge pet peeve of mine.
Would you want to put your name to that?
Me, no. But someone thought enough of it to let it loose into the world, and they should be credited. Local journos are infamous for running long quotes from the GC and never mentioning the name of the people who designed the damn thing the GC is constructing.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

In my opinion, the architect being mentioned is more important than the general contractor, unless of course it's reporting how many people will be employed constructing the building.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:In my opinion, the architect being mentioned is more important than the general contractor, unless of course it's reporting how many people will be employed constructing the building.
During the construction of the Nelson-Atkins addition/renovation and the Performing Arts Center, BNIM was constantly frustrated with the Star's coverage. JE Dunn was routinely quoted, often in relation to design matters. Holl or Safdie were occasionally mentioned. Once in a great while they let slip that BNIM were the actual architects of record.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

truman has acquired the city ice building and will demolish it to build something ugly, probably.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote:Update on the new outpatient building Truman Medical Center is going to build on the NE corner of 22nd and Charlotte.

Truman Med plans to build up presence in Downtown

http://tinyurl.com/pdmth8x

Construction has begun on this new building.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Sort of a vague thought - but what has prevented the Hospital Hill complex and specifically Children's Mercy from developing in a much larger and more focused way, i.e. taking advantage of the "eds and meds" boom of the last decade or longer?

Why hasn't CM developed into a top-tier children's hospital with available specialized care in the way that say STL or Cincy have?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I drove by this yesterday. the steel structure is going up.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

rxlexi wrote: Why hasn't CM developed into a top-tier children's hospital with available specialized care in the way that say STL or Cincy have?
Because the top tier is exclusive by definition, and the 5 or 10 best have institutional momentum. Cincy is top tier. StL is nowhere near top tier, its on the CMH-level of third rate region-only Children's centers.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Perhaps using the phrase "top-tier" wasn't entirely appropriate. My thought is that you would think CMH would have, over the past say 30-40 years, developed into an extra-regional center for children's medicine and would service highly specialized techniques etc. for a multi-state region (Nebraska, Kansas, Western MO, Western Iowa, parts of Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc.).

Instead, their flagship campus is smaller than some suburban hospitals in say STL, and I seem to recall reading various times over the years of kids flown to STL or elsewhere for major transplants, specialized surgeries etc.

Coming from someone that knows little to nothing about the industry but can see the hundreds of millions being dumped into hospital expansion over the last decade, just wondering why this seems to have occurred slower in our community.

It does seem like KU Med is starting to pick up the slack with it's NCI designation and assorted improvements.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Children's Mercy is trying to grow itself. It has plans for additional expansion.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

FangKC wrote:Children's Mercy is trying to grow itself. It has plans for additional expansion.
They've been slowly taking over Hallmark HQ space in the 2400 buildings along Gilham. I think they are the primary if not only tennant in 2400 building, and have been taking over 2420 floors as well.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

PumpkinStalker wrote:
FangKC wrote:Children's Mercy is trying to grow itself. It has plans for additional expansion.
They've been slowly taking over Hallmark HQ space in the 2400 buildings along Gilham. I think they are the primary if not only tennant in 2400 building, and have been taking over 2420 floors as well.
There are three tenants in 2400 Pershing now.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

flyingember wrote:I drove by this yesterday. the steel structure is going up.
It's not quick but the structure is at three floors of uprights with the floor beams going in on the third floor.

It's not going to be huge but it's going to have a decent presence being on the ridge