Broadway Jimmy John's

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Jimmy John's to open Drive-Thru restaurant at 9th & Broa

Post by mgh7676 »

The plans for this building are hideous. I was under the impression that the plans were getting reworked to make the downtown neighbors happy. If this is the best they can do, I'd rather see an empty lot than any of this franchisee's buildings in that lot. Awful.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

looking at the drawing they look to be really pushing it on the city code landscaping requirements for the lot

88-425-06-A
this lot contains 10+ new spots outside the crossroads

88-425-06-B.
At least 35 square feet of interior landscape area must be provided for each parking space

I did the math on time and figured this means for every four parking spots one spot worth of landscaping must be added, give or take.
with 18 parking spots that would require 4.5 spots worth of landscaping

88-425-05-B
this parking lot must include the 10 foot strip at the street
given a 65' deep building there's no way that barrier as drawn is a full 10 feet deep all the way to the driveway edge, with a parking spot so close to the street
as an aside, this spot is going to require backing out over the sidewalk to get out safely. that can't be good

88-425-06-C
says the street strip can not be used in the math used for 88-425-06-B, so the lot landscaping and strip landscaping are separate items

88-425-06-E
I would recommend pushing the city be particular that they put in the trees and shrubs required here on top of the trees required under 88-425-05-B.
my rough count requires 7 trees on the property between both requirements. that's before all the shrubbery they need
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mgh7676 wrote:The plans for this building are hideous. I was under the impression that the plans were getting reworked to make the downtown neighbors happy. If this is the best they can do, I'd rather see an empty lot than any of this franchisee's buildings in that lot. Awful.
But are they at least old-timey? :lol:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I noticed another thing. the drawing site plan doesn't include bike racks, which is mandated for the development per city code

I saw a Tires Plus in KC that put in bike racks. if they can, then anyone can.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Mark Abbott forces the driver to pay back the company for what was stolen.
That's probably illegal, by the way, depending on how much the delivery drivers are making.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

KCMax wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:The plans for this building are hideous. I was under the impression that the plans were getting reworked to make the downtown neighbors happy. If this is the best they can do, I'd rather see an empty lot than any of this franchisee's buildings in that lot. Awful.
But are they at least old-timey? :lol:
Not even old-timey. They couldn't even get that right. This development makes me sick.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

as someone who lives less than 2 blocks from this, is there anything I can do to help block it? a petition to sign? I like to see more businesses coming to the area but I walk down this sidewalk regularly and I have safety concerns with distracted who will hit somebody while they are pulling their food out of the bag while pulling up to the street. Its bad enough I have to avoid getting hit by city busses and cars pulling out of garages on a daily basis...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dnweava wrote:as someone who lives less than 2 blocks from this, is there anything I can do to help block it? a petition to sign? I like to see more businesses coming to the area but I walk down this sidewalk regularly and I have safety concerns with distracted who will hit somebody while they are pulling their food out of the bag while pulling up to the street. Its bad enough I have to avoid getting hit by city busses and cars pulling out of garages on a daily basis...
Call your council members office. They have a lot of power and it always helps for people who live close to give their input. All politics are local, the more local the better
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

flyingember wrote:looking at the drawing they look to be really pushing it on the city code landscaping requirements for the lot

88-425-06-E
I would recommend pushing the city be particular that they put in the trees and shrubs required here on top of the trees required under 88-425-05-B.
my rough count requires 7 trees on the property between both requirements. that's before all the shrubbery they need
It'd be funnier than shit if they put in Sweetgum trees like they have done over on Truman Rd. & McGee. Obviously, whoever in city hall who ordered those trees has not a clue as to how trees work. Especially Sweetgum's.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMO has stopped planting those because they're such a huge PITA.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

flyingember wrote:
dnweava wrote:as someone who lives less than 2 blocks from this, is there anything I can do to help block it? a petition to sign? I like to see more businesses coming to the area but I walk down this sidewalk regularly and I have safety concerns with distracted who will hit somebody while they are pulling their food out of the bag while pulling up to the street. Its bad enough I have to avoid getting hit by city busses and cars pulling out of garages on a daily basis...
Call your council members office. They have a lot of power and it always helps for people who live close to give their input. All politics are local, the more local the better
and since some of the people blocking a downtown drive-thru moratorium sit in at-large council seats (ford, wagner), just email the whole council while you're at it: cc1@kcmo.org and mayor@kcmo.org
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Lemme get this straight.

You guys were all for the P&L and the Streetcar debacle, both of which will cost us hundreds of millions of dollars, but a silly drive-thru that will cost you nothing throws you into fits of rage?

That's pretty effin' progressive.

Oohhh. I get it now. You guys weren't offered a place at the money trough.

That explains everything.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Joe Smith wrote:Lemme get this straight.

You guys were all for the P&L and the Streetcar debacle, both of which will cost us hundreds of millions of dollars, but a silly drive-thru that will cost you nothing throws you into fits of rage?

:roll:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, the urban design nerds on here are getting rich off the streetcar and P&L. You nailed it. Keep up the deep-digging investigative work.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Joe Smith wrote:Lemme get this straight....you guys were all for the...the Streetcar debacle...that explains everything.
I know it may shock you, but not every opinion one might have is a function of one's position on the streetcar. It is entirely possible to hold opinions -- even about KC development -- that are totally unrelated to the already-working, potentially transformative, victorious, glorious, probably expanding, happening whether you like it or not, streetcar.

So go write boondoggle and debacle and toy train 5000 times somewhere else: like the TKC comments section for every post. Then come back here and make an incorrect, but at least apropos, comment about how building a Jimmy Johns drive-through on Broadway is OK.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

You're bogus.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

Some of the biggest advocates on the Rag for spending lots of someone's else's money are getting paid for their advocacy. We know it.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Who, then? And who is paying them? And why in the world would anyone pay someone to post opinions on a message board with like 20 regulars? Makes no sense. But if it's happening, and you know it, then out with it and I'll ban them faster than you can say "toy train debacle".
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I guess no one read my above warning....
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If someone is accepting payment to post political opinions on this forum, which I doubt in the extreme, but if it's happening, it will be stopped.