JaCo Translational Medicine Sales Tax

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: JaCo Translational Medicine Sales Tax

Post by KCMax »

grovester wrote:Money grab. I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly so that transit and/or other progressive initiatives don't have any room in the future.
???? That seems awfully cynically and conpiratorial. Couldn't it just be that (a) people want KC to be a big research hub; and (b) they stand to profit off of that?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Perhaps, but the timing vis-a-vis the Sander's Plan and the fact that it is a huge percentage lets my cynical mind wander.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Does anyone know who gets paid if a cure is found for anything?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Has anyone seen any television ads opposing this tax? I watched some football yesterday and all I saw were well-produced, misleading ads urging support.

I am not a fan of this proposal, but based on the advertisement I suspect it is going to pass easily.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

children, old people. typical play book.

#imwithjoanne
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

smh wrote:Has anyone seen any television ads opposing this tax? I watched some football yesterday and all I saw were well-produced, misleading ads urging support.

I am not a fan of this proposal, but based on the advertisement I suspect it is going to pass easily.
Yea, I've seen quite a few anti- adds during morning and evening news. There are quite a few anti- signs around town too. I think it will be close and it will fail.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Apparently, polling has suggested easy passage as well. I wouldn't say I'm really well-versed in the specifics of this tax, but it's mindboggling to me that we're able to make such an enormous investment that comes from a small group of civic leaders, has broad opposition among nearly every civic minded person I know, has had minimal public discussion, and has little or no articulated vision, even, for civic benefit--much less assurance.

I mean, think of the amount of conversation around other civic projects where we're in the billion dollar neighborhood:

new airport
sewer upgrades
Power and Light District
stadium renovations
Google Fiber rollout
streetcar (x 8)!

I mean, look at any 10 other threads on this board. Say a couple east-west BRT or streetcar lines, major upgrades to Penn Valley, fix some bad traffic areas like the SW Trafficway cluster, Grand Blvd, 20th St streetscapes, Crossroads greenspace and a downtown arts campus.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I am blown away that $800 million is possibly--likely!--to be allocated this way. Gut-wrenching.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AJoD wrote:Apparently, polling has suggested easy passage as well. I wouldn't say I'm really well-versed in the specifics of this tax, but it's mindboggling to me that we're able to make such an enormous investment that comes from a small group of civic leaders, has broad opposition among nearly every civic minded person I know, has had minimal public discussion, and has little or no articulated vision, even, for civic benefit--much less assurance.

I mean, think of the amount of conversation around other civic projects where we're in the billion dollar neighborhood:

new airport
sewer upgrades
Power and Light District
stadium renovations
Google Fiber rollout
streetcar (x 8)!

I mean, look at any 10 other threads on this board. Say a couple east-west BRT or streetcar lines, major upgrades to Penn Valley, fix some bad traffic areas like the SW Trafficway cluster, Grand Blvd, 20th St streetscapes, Crossroads greenspace and a downtown arts campus.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I am blown away that $800 million is possibly--likely!--to be allocated this way. Gut-wrenching.
Agreed. I still don't understand where this proposal came from. It seems to have come out of the blue with tremendous speed and organization.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

well, hopefully everyone who thinks like this will actually show up on nov. 5.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It looks like this is the only item on the ballot for Nov 5. Does that give any indication it favors the side with most activists?

The consensus on this board seems to be from not sure to generally disapprove but I wonder how many will show up compared to something like a transit vote. I sense this may have more proponent activists than opposing activists (or who are not sure or not emphatically against it).

Would get much higher participation if we had mail in voting by default and I suspect it would fail in that case but my guess is that mostly proponents will show up. I'll be showing up with a no vote, this isn't something to fund with local taxes but I suspect it could pass being a one item ballot.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Translational medicine was one of the Chamber's Big 5. I think this particular proposal came out of the Civic Council, which is an oddly under the radar group in its own right. Big backing from the Hall family and, as I understand it, and whatever other interests align with Children's Mercy and St. Luke's. Which, you know, seem like good organizations and worthy of our support, but probably not to the tune of nearly $1 billion in public money. Wish I could vote.

The single issue ballot, from what I've heard, greatly favors passage of the tax--typically much easier to get out the base for something than against it. One good point made recently is that the institutions that stand to benefit are among the largest area employers also, so that could well be part of the base.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Does anyone have any solid information on this? It's a lot of money to just throw around and say it's for research. Is this just to pad all the salaries of the board members that govern it? What does economic development mean anymore? I get to get drunk and watch lady gaga / sports somewhere new with cleaner toilets? Then I can get to somewhere I don't want to go without getting a DUI? Am I going to be able to get drunk at a piano bar and hop on something that takes me to Children's Mercy to get drunker? Will beers be $9 at the translational research facility? Seriously, where are the details? They throw this "economic development" lingo around and all I can think of are things that make me dumb and drunk.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

"Somebody" is a hell of a salesman. They have corralled the foundational funders and sold this concept to them. I am afraid that this has become a case of "I supported your pet project, so now I need your help on this thing I want to do".

This is not a new wing on the Nelson, nor is it a prairie-dog village for school kids. It is a siginficant piece of the the metro areas future potential being squandered.

Out in the streets, I hear a near equal combination of thinking minds trying sincerely to understand what is being proposed and the balance is thinking minds saying "what the hell are they thinking"?

Just vote NO! (and yes, the non-thinking voters worry me.)
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

For what it's worth (likely not much) my wife tells me the Hall family has pledged the money to build the infrastructure for this research upon passage of the tax, allowing the monies to be put solely toward the science.

Or something along those lines.
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

From the UMKC Chancellor,

Oversight and Transparency Board: In order to ensure that all funds generated as a result of the sales tax are appropriately expended, the County Executive will appoint a five member Oversight and Transparency Board with six-year staggered terms. This Board will allow independent fiscal and performance audits to be conducted and will provide its findings to the County legislature, Community Advisory Board, Economic Development Tax Board and the public. Up to 2.5% of the tax proceeds will be reserved for such purpose.

That's about $200,000 a year for each person on this board? Nice...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

shaffe wrote:For what it's worth (likely not much) my wife tells me the Hall family has pledged the money to build the infrastructure for this research upon passage of the tax, allowing the monies to be put solely toward the science.

Or something along those lines.
Yea, $75 mill, contingent on a yes vote.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... es-75.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing I'm most concerned about is the potential for sales taxes to be used to fund everything. The state legislature is looking to cut the corporate tax rate, and do away with income taxes in Missouri, and potentially increase the state sales tax. Add that to any future commuter rail plan also being funded by sales taxes. Then there is the potential statewide transportation sales tax.

Piling all these sales taxes on top of each other puts the heaviest burden on low income residents, and people with fixed incomes.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

is it too meta to post a reddit thread on kcrag?

http://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/comm ... 000000_no/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Went to vote around 4:30 (to vote No) and no voters were there. Was raining at the time but they said very low turnout all day. There was a Yes electioneer outside the place and that was it. This is in Westport zip. If it's true that low turnout favors the one with most activists, it could pass.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

earthling wrote:Went to vote around 4:30 (to vote No) and no voters were there. Was raining at the time but they said very low turnout all day. There was a Yes electioneer outside the place and that was it. This is in Westport zip. If it's true that low turnout favors the one with most activists, it could pass.
I was the only voter at 37th and Woodland this morning, and my wife was the only one there this evening. No electioneers at all.