bbq.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: bbq.

Post by Joe Smith »

bobbyhawks wrote:
heatherkay wrote:We always call in the order and skip to the front of the line. You can just pop up the street and eat in the park.
THey are quoting me hour long waits recently for carry out dinner on the weekends. I end up getting great bbq at Woodyard for no wait instead.
Exactly! I totally agree. I wonder what the wait is in their other local location?

and Danny Edwards....It's never open. Most people I know that love Q have never been there. What if Steven King wrote all those great books and only published one or two and threw the rest of them in his basement?

It's his business. It's his life. That seems to be how he wants it. I can't miss anything I've never tasted. There's plenty of other places that are as good or better from what I hear.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Joe Smith wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
heatherkay wrote:We always call in the order and skip to the front of the line. You can just pop up the street and eat in the park.
THey are quoting me hour long waits recently for carry out dinner on the weekends. I end up getting great bbq at Woodyard for no wait instead.
Exactly! I totally agree. I wonder what the wait is in their other local location?

and Danny Edwards....It's never open. Most people I know that love Q have never been there. What if Steven King wrote all those great books and only published one or two and threw the rest of them in his basement?

It's his business. It's his life. That seems to be how he wants it. I can't miss anything I've never tasted. There's plenty of other places that are as good or better from what I hear.
The Leawood OK Joes moves along pretty well. Never had a wait that was over 20 minutes.

Just had Danny Edwards for the first time last week. I'd say that analogy is spot on. 11-3 six days a week won't allow a lot of people to go there, but I'd rather have quality > quantity.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

We finally made it to Danny Edwards. On a Saturday for lunch because that's literally the only time period that we can go. I liked the food quite a bit. My only complaint is that they do table service on Saturday (why?), but from what I can tell they aren't very good at it. Very nice people, but they seemed really overwhelmed by waiting on all the tables.

Anywho, the 'cue was tasty. I will return to sample some other wares. On a Saturday. For lunch.

Question: Are they known for anything in particular? It has always been my understanding that everything is pretty top notch there. But anything I ought to seek out? I had the burnt ends.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote:Question: Are they known for anything in particular? It has always been my understanding that everything is pretty top notch there. But anything I ought to seek out? I had the burnt ends.
They always have a pretty diverse selection of options, but I normally default back to the large pork sandwich with sweet potato fries. The pork is always ludicrously spilling out over the edges of the sandwich, and I can get two meals out of it unless I want to enter a food coma. That is probably my favorite pork sandwich in the city, though the pork z-man is neck and neck.

I would have tried a lot of other things on the menu, but the hours prevent me from going in the evenings or on Sundays. If it were open at night, I'd probably eat there way too often.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

The chicken salad sandwich is fantastic.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

longviewmo wrote: The Leawood OK Joes moves along pretty well. Never had a wait that was over 20 minutes.
That's been my experience in Olathe as well.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

And last night, a local barbecue pro won $50,000 and the Grand Champion title on the Destination America show "BBQ Pitmasters."

Rod Gray is from Leawood, but he represented Kansas City on Season 4 of the show. In the two-hour finale, Gray and his wife Sheri beat barbecue teams from Oklahoma and Oregon in a contest that required cooking a 135-pound pig on two pits.

In an interview last week, Rod Gray said competing on “BBQ Pitmasters” was his way of showing his friends that he was still competitive after a tough year. He also said brisket and pork were his specialties — so it comes as no surprise that he performed well in the whole-hog finale. Read the full interview here.

Want to meet the Grand Champion? Gray will be at The Kansas City BBQ Store, 11922 S. Strang Line Rd. in Olathe, from 1-5 p.m. Friday to promote EAT Barbecue, his line of sauces and rubs.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/44 ... rylink=cpy
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
And last night, a local barbecue pro won $50,000 and the Grand Champion title on the Destination America show "BBQ Pitmasters."

Rod Gray is from Leawood, but he represented Kansas City on Season 4 of the show. In the two-hour finale, Gray and his wife Sheri beat barbecue teams from Oklahoma and Oregon in a contest that required cooking a 135-pound pig on two pits.

In an interview last week, Rod Gray said competing on “BBQ Pitmasters” was his way of showing his friends that he was still competitive after a tough year. He also said brisket and pork were his specialties — so it comes as no surprise that he performed well in the whole-hog finale. Read the full interview here.

Want to meet the Grand Champion? Gray will be at The Kansas City BBQ Store, 11922 S. Strang Line Rd. in Olathe, from 1-5 p.m. Friday to promote EAT Barbecue, his line of sauces and rubs.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/44 ... rylink=cpy

For those of you that love BBQ and eat it regularly, hitch your ride to a decent BBQ team. Join a team, find friends with a team and hang out at a competition. The average BBQ team makes better BBQ than 99% of the BBQ restaurants in this town. The best BBQ you will ever eat is competition-level BBQ. You'll get spoiled by how good it is and therefore be much choosier when you go hit one of the joints in town. Let the tourists eat at the shithole joints who ride on their rep, not the quality of their food.

It's like sushi. I've had it. Or clams. Had them too. In K.C. More than once. At more than one place. There's no way I can tell folks what great sushi or clams are. But I've had great BBQ. I know what it tastes like and nothing compares to comp-level BBQ.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Joe Smith wrote: The best BBQ you will ever eat is competition-level BBQ.
Beg to differ. Competition style bbq is too diddled with, too beholden to goofy fads, too phony (steam plates? injections?), too reliant on sugar in a host of forms, and too utterly subjective.

Competition bbq : real bbq = showdog : working gundog.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

chingon wrote:
Beg to differ. Competition style bbq is too diddled with, too beholden to goofy fads, too phony (steam plates? injections?), too reliant on sugar in a host of forms, and too utterly subjective.

I agree on some points, but overall straight outta the smoker by someone who knows how to cook is my choice. The judging otoh, is subjective.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Joe Smith wrote:
chingon wrote:

I agree on some points, but overall straight outta the smoker by someone who knows how to cook is my choice. The judging otoh, is subjective.
Meat is just better straight out of the smoker. Almost every BBQ joint in the city smokes their meat and then lets it cool and reheats to serve, it's just the nature of how a restaurant has to work. As it rests the cellular structure of the meat renders its fat and that is where the flavor is. You can put unflavored pork butt fresh off the smoker up against anything in the city and it would win in my book.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

collagen?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Joe Smith wrote: I agree on some points, but overall straight outta the smoker by someone who knows how to cook is my choice. The judging otoh, is subjective.
I have long been of the opinion that KC's best bbq and the coolest thing about its bbq tradition is how many people amateur people here cook, and cook well. There are weekends you literally cannot drive 10 minutes anywhere in the city without smelling bbq.

And yes, the best bbq I have ever eaten has been in many different somebody's backyards in KC (and, yes, also at bbq contests).
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chingon wrote:I have long been of the opinion that KC's best bbq and the coolest thing about its bbq tradition is how many people amateur people here cook, and cook well. There are weekends you literally cannot drive 10 minutes anywhere in the city without smelling bbq.
Agree with this 100%. That's pretty much how I answer questions about what is distinctive about KC bbq.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

spot on article here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-3 ... -well.html
I never thought I’d say this, but I miss Arthur Bryant’s original barbecue sauce.
His Kansas City smokehouse, which was made famous decades ago in a Calvin Trillin essay, served a sauce that’s been described as a mixture of Comet and ketchup. That description isn’t far off. The sauce’s gritty texture negates whatever pleasant flavors its ketchup-like ingredients might offer. By the standards of traditional sweet barbecue sauces, it’s a bitter abomination. But when it comes to personal aesthetic statements, Bryant’s sauce is without peer. It represents a throwing down of the gauntlet; a simple, unwavering declaration: “This is the sauce we serve. Take it or leave it.”
continued....
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

bbqboy wrote:spot on article here:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-3 ... -well.html
I never thought I’d say this, but I miss Arthur Bryant’s original barbecue sauce.
His Kansas City smokehouse, which was made famous decades ago in a Calvin Trillin essay, served a sauce that’s been described as a mixture of Comet and ketchup. That description isn’t far off. The sauce’s gritty texture negates whatever pleasant flavors its ketchup-like ingredients might offer. By the standards of traditional sweet barbecue sauces, it’s a bitter abomination. But when it comes to personal aesthetic statements, Bryant’s sauce is without peer. It represents a throwing down of the gauntlet; a simple, unwavering declaration: “This is the sauce we serve. Take it or leave it.”
continued....
I have heard it told that the "original" Bryant's sauce was made from a base fermented pigs' blood which was stored in the front windows in jars to ferment. What is sold now as AB's Original flavor was an attempt to replicate that sauce in a way that complied with fda guidelines (in part using lard as an ingredient) when they began to bottle and sell it. Could be total apocrypha, but I choose to believe it wholesale.

One of the other sauces mentioned in the article, Bob Gibsons, is a truly wonderful northern Alabama white sauce made of equal parts cider vinegar and mayonnaise, with a healthy dose of fresh-squeezed lemon juice and black pepper...and it + chicken is the only bbq sauce/meat combo in America that is even competitive with AB's OG + brisket when it comes to "perfect paring" of sauce and meat.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

K&M BBQ in Spring Hill, Kansas has so-so BBQ, but their bottled white sauce is great.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

jugs for sure were always in the window, don't know about the pig's blood.