Rye

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Rye

Post by beautyfromashes »

bbqboy wrote:You'll think differently when you're 50 (and beyond)
Trust me 8)
I'll be chizrow?
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

beautyfromashes wrote:
bbqboy wrote:You'll think differently when you're 50 (and beyond)
Trust me 8)
I'll be chizrow?
If you're lucky!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

For those of you who somehow feel cheated or whatever negative feeling about the Mission Farm location of Rye it's OK to feel that way. But at the same time those who are involved with the restaurant are FREE to locate it wherever they want to, wherever it is allowed. When I lived in the south KC area I had similar feelings when restaurants, or other services, located on the Kansas side instead of in Red Bridge Shopping Center or at 103rd & State Line. You always want something in your backyard.

One thing about this world, we do not all think alike. And that is a good thing - it would be very boring if we all did.

In other words, for those who think restaurants like Rye should only be located by them - GET OVER IT. Wake up and join the real world.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

There might be a wee bit more chefs from Kansas City then the three mentioned. Cafe sabastine has a chef from kc, lidia's has a chef from kc, Justus has a chef from the kc area. I might not be notable but I'm from the kc area and was born on the street my restaurant is now located on. I have worked with or known a lot of notable chefs in their own right working in other places than restaurants. Maybe I just mistook the statement. Local cooking schools are producing a strong cooking talent even at the high school level. On the missouri side as well as the kansas side. I have no doubt that Colby will do great things out at rye, it's in his DNA , I can't wait to get out there and try it! A restaurant of this importance should be enjoyed by all!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i am 31 going on 50.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

aknowledgeableperson wrote:For those of you who somehow feel cheated or whatever negative feeling about the Mission Farm location of Rye it's OK to feel that way.
aknowledgeableperson wrote:In other words, for those who think restaurants like Rye should only be located by them - GET OVER IT. Wake up and join the real world.
Schizophrenic post of the day?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Nope. Just think it is funny that someone complains about where a restaurant is located. There are way more pressing issues in life, like which movie to see tonight.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote:i am 31 going on 50.
As 50 is the new 30, where the hell are you, really?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

loftguy wrote:
chrizow wrote:i am 31 going on 50.
As 50 is the new 30, where the hell are you, really?
zygote?
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Repete wrote:There might be a wee bit more chefs from Kansas City then the three mentioned. Cafe sabastine has a chef from kc, lidia's has a chef from kc, Justus has a chef from the kc area. I might not be notable but I'm from the kc area and was born on the street my restaurant is now located on. I have worked with or known a lot of notable chefs in their own right working in other places than restaurants. Maybe I just mistook the statement. Local cooking schools are producing a strong cooking talent even at the high school level. On the missouri side as well as the kansas side. I have no doubt that Colby will do great things out at rye, it's in his DNA , I can't wait to get out there and try it! A restaurant of this importance should be enjoyed by all!
Of course Pete.... that wasn't my intention. There are many great chefs in KC... and a lot of home grown ones. I was referencing the Gold/Tio/Smith group. Certainly didn't mean to leave anyone out.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

I know just messing with you, from what I've seen from the picture the place looks awesome! Can't wait to get out there!
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Repete wrote:I know just messing with you, from what I've seen from the picture the place looks awesome! Can't wait to get out there!
Thanks! See you soon!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ChefColby wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I'll admit, I'm a little knocked on the nose about Rye and the choice of Mission Farms as it's location. With all respect, it seems like an amazing opera singer choosing to perform in Miami instead of New York City. Sure, Miami is a great city, but the best of the best should be where the best of the best are. I don't want to think it's nerves to not want to make the jump into the ring with the Michael Smith's, Debbie Gould's and Celina Tio's. (I think Colby's better than them, BTW). I think it just might be comfort. Why risk a good thing for a great thing? And while I've overlooked the Sonic sign staring at me while I eat amazing food, and overlooked the dated decor for a fine dining restaurant, the lack of proper place for a James Beard nominated chef; the opening of Rye makes these things all the more glaring. Fine dining should be in a place that makes you dream. I want to see the city lights and feel the energy and vibrancy of downtown with it's history and importance. I'd almost rather see Colby pack up and move to NYC to make it big than settle for Mission Farms. As much as I would hate to lose the experience of Bluestem, at least it would be an inspiration.
The biggest reason we went out there is because I grew up in that neighborhood. I know a TON of people from the neighborhoods that surround Mission Farms. My father lives in the hood directly to the east and all my friends growing up lived in Mission pines. I went to Brookwood Elementary School and spent my childhood at Leawood Park. I grew up eating chicken at Boots and Coats at 103rd and Stateline and I felt like there was a great market for what we wanted to do. I have absolutely no desire to compete in the crossroads. If I wanted another mid town restaurant I would put it on the Plaza. But that won't happen until highwoods is gone. I was the first person the Dazell's came to when they wanted to sell 1924 Main. It seemed like a lateral move for us and we turned them down. I would do it again. There's no way I could have done what Howard has done with the Reiger. I wasn't even thinking in that direction at all. The bottom line is, if I opened up down there I would cannibalize my own customers from bluestem. It's already happened a little bit in Leawood. A ton of my regulars are going to Rye now. People tend to forget that (if I may be so bold) of the most notable Chefs in town only Ted, Patrick and I are actually from KC. So I have an interest in the whole metro especially where I grew up.
I don't see it as competing at all....it seems like as more end up in crossroads, it becomes even more of a destination for the entire metro and creates more demand...but I'm also not a restaurant owner, just an eater.

Best of luck on the new location. Wish you all the best. Seems there is even more competition for the dining dollar around there, especially lower check places that most with 2.5 kids and 1 dog tend to go to.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we finally checked out Rye last night with my parents, and it was awesome. the space looks really great, modern and upscale but also homey. the large, exposed kitchen is a nice touch. the bar is substantial, and it was packed the entire time we were there (which was early, 5-7pm saturday). there are a lot of beers on tap, probably 20 or 25, making it a good beer bar for the area. (it is very clearly doing a great business - i called a week ahead of time and there was no availability except for 5pm.)

our group kept it pretty simple. three of us ordered filets, one ordered the trout. the filets were very good, as good or better than any steak in town. (minor complaint - i ordered my steak rare and it came out nearly medium, but it was still delicious). the trout was ridiculously good, buttery and perfectly cooked, and a huge portion for the very reasonable price of $22. the steaks seem expensive ($42-48) until you realize they include a side and salad, which alone would be $13. for sides, we ordered mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and grilled mushrooms. all were excellent. the mashed and sweet potatoes were smooth, basically whipped. the mushrooms were great with the steak.

we were very excited to try their desserts, and they did not disappoint. we tried the banana cream pie, mo-kan nut pie, and an almond cake with pinapple sorbet. they were all A+. i had the mo-kan nut pie and it was interesting - not overly sweet (which is good), and the black walnuts were very earthy and woodsy. i would like to be eating a piece right now for breakfast.

all in all, this place is doing everything right. we will be back. anyone who refuses to go b/c it is in joco should get over it and go eat some good food.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hard to plan a trip out to the country and check it out...and pass so many delicious places closer :)
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

KCPowercat wrote:Hard to plan a trip out to the country and check it out...and pass so many delicious places closer
I hear that a lot from friends i grew up with that live out east. Most of them haven't been downtown in decades. The tell me it's safer to eat in the burbs then go into the "city" because you might get your ass capped trying to find a parking spot!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Repete wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Hard to plan a trip out to the country and check it out...and pass so many delicious places closer
I hear that a lot from friends i grew up with that live out east. Most of them haven't been downtown in decades. The tell me it's safer to eat in the burbs then go into the "city" because you might get your ass capped trying to find a parking spot!
I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to go through the warzone of Raytown and Independence to get to the safety of downtown either.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Repete wrote:
I don't blame them! I wouldn't want to go through the warzone of Raytown and Independence to get to the safety of downtown either.
In fact, sometimes I drive out to Lee's Summit to go to their Sonic. It's much better IMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Repete wrote:
I was just trying to be funny but that's pretty funny....what place do they eat there instead of coming downtown to like Rieger or Affare or Michael Smith or Lidias..or....ehhh.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

KCPowercat wrote: I was just trying to be funny but that's pretty funny....what place do they eat there instead of coming downtown to like Rieger or Affare or Michael Smith or Lidias..or....ehhh.
most say it's faster to drive to Columbia then try to find a parking spot in the crossroads or downtown, a few good restaurants of that caliber there. It's ok they won't venture to 39th either. Way too much crime there! I hear gun fire all the time, and have been broken into and had windows on cars smashed out in the parking lot. Never had that happen in Raytown or Independence they just shoot to kill there in that war zone, never underestimate the marksmanship of a suburbanite.