KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by kcmetro »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Rob Riggle does this little comedy bit for Fox Sunday Pre Game. Him and his son were at Arthur Bryants eating, he also made fun of the airport. I think he's from here but not sure and I am pretty sure I saw him at the airport one day.
Yeah he's from OP. KU grad.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

From the ESPY's when he hosted:

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Food Network
December 7
Friday, 7 pm

Chef Robert Irvine is heading to Kansas City, Mo., to save a once flourishing family restaurant and repair the relationship between two sisters. Poco's on the Boulevard once served delicious, authentic Latin food, but since the death of chef/owner Poco, her daughters Claudia and Dana have been struggling to maintain the restaurant's food quality and profits.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurant-i ... index.html
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'm watching the 30 for 30 about Bo Jackson. Man, he was such a force of nature. I miss the relevant Royals.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

heatherkay wrote:I'm watching the 30 for 30 about Bo Jackson. Man, he was such a force of nature. I miss the relevant Royals.
The days of Bo were among the best of baseball for me. Watching that guy break a bat over his knee out of frustration was a thrill. You just never knew what extraordinary thing might happen on the field when he trotted out. I've enjoyed a lot of games, but nothing with that level of sustained anticipation.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The got some flak for having Klosterman be the primary host, but for a guy who was as much of a cultural phenomenon as Bo was, it was perfect. What CK said about him being the last player whose reputation relied heavily on word of mouth anecdotes made me think that Bo was a throwback to Negro Leagues players. He was the heir to Satchel Paige's legend.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

loftguy wrote:The days of Bo were among the best of baseball for me.
His days with the Royals were the end of the period of the best days of the Royals for me. Not saying he would have been the best player in baseball but if he would have dedicated himself solely to baseball he would have had quite a career.
But then being a two sport athlete was what made Bo Bo.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

First sports poster I ever had was of Bo in a Royals uniform.

That being said, I always thought he was pretty overrated as a baseball player. Had he continued playing, he probably has a nice career 300-400 home runs, but a terribly low batting average and on-base percentage, and I don't see him keeping his speed in his 30s. He would have had to become a DH pretty quickly.

As a football player, I bet he would have been a HOFer pretty easy.

But man, the highlights he produced in his prime. Still remember seeing the throw from the warning track to get Harold Reynolds in the Kingdome. I think my jaw was on the floor. Remember his 3 homer game in Yankee Stadium where he injured himself making a sensational catch, robbing him at a chance of a 4 HR game? Remember his home run ever, a blast that landed at the TOP of the grassy knoll in left field? Just one of the most amazing athletes I have ever had the privilege of watching, and he was in our backyard.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It speaks volumes to me that a guy drafted by an NFL team chose instead to play for the Kansas City Royals. What are the chances that would happen today? Hah.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Remember his 3 homer game in Yankee Stadium where he injured himself making a sensational catch, robbing him at a chance of a 4 HR game?
I watched this game at BrandsMart on Gregory while waiting for my friend and his dad to buy a home theatre system.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:It speaks volumes to me that a guy drafted by an NFL team chose instead to play for the Kansas City Royals. What are the chances that would happen today? Hah.
I read his autobiography not long ago. He says he would not have played for a lot of MLB organizations, but he knew the Royals were a classy and successful organization, so when they drafted him he thought it was an intriguing opportunity to play his true passion.

Yes, a much different time.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mean wrote:It speaks volumes to me that a guy drafted by an NFL team chose instead to play for the Kansas City Royals. What are the chances that would happen today? Hah.
He absolutely hated the team that drafted him (Bucs). Felt they tricked him into losing his eligibilty his senior year. Nowadays, some kind of trade would have been brokered by the NFL.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

KCMax wrote:That being said, I always thought he was pretty overrated as a baseball player. Had he continued playing, he probably has a nice career 300-400 home runs, but a terribly low batting average and on-base percentage, and I don't see him keeping his speed in his 30s. He would have had to become a DH pretty quickly.
Yes, he wouldn't hit for a high average but how many players hit over 300 home runs? I think he would have kept his speed but even if he became a full time DH what would have been wrong with that. Hal McRae had a good career as a DH.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCMax wrote:That being said, I always thought he was pretty overrated as a baseball player. Had he continued playing, he probably has a nice career 300-400 home runs, but a terribly low batting average and on-base percentage, and I don't see him keeping his speed in his 30s. He would have had to become a DH pretty quickly.
Yes, he wouldn't hit for a high average but how many players hit over 300 home runs? I think he would have kept his speed but even if he became a full time DH what would have been wrong with that. Hal McRae had a good career as a DH.
Oh don't get me wrong, he would have been an excellent ballplayer. I just don't agree with people that think he would have been a Hall of Famer had he "concentrated" on baseball. Its not like he was a guy that just picked up the sport. He had played his whole life, and had excelled in one of the toughest college baseball conferences in the country. He wasn't some raw talent. I'm not sure he would have become that much better by having his autumns available.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

I agree, Bo would not have had a HOF career if he had stuck to only baseball but he still would be looked at favorably like Amos Otis or Frank White. His biggest drawback was his strikeouts.

His autumns were available. He didn't join the Raiders until after the baseball seasons.

If he had played football only I think there was a good chance of him being in the football HOF.
mailman641
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mailman641 »

I just saw a story on fox4 about a time capsule being buried at the newly renovated gate at Janssen Place. One of the things they put in there was a silent movie from the 1920s that was filmed there. Does anyone know the name of the movie? I want to see if I can find it on archive.org.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Chef Celina Tio of Julia(n) to compete on Iron Chef: America.

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... ef-america
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mailman641 wrote:I just saw a story on fox4 about a time capsule being buried at the newly renovated gate at Janssen Place. One of the things they put in there was a silent movie from the 1920s that was filmed there. Does anyone know the name of the movie? I want to see if I can find it on archive.org.
they probably mean a silent home movie.

not a silent holywood movie