GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: 2012 CHIEFS!

Post by mykem »

WSPanic wrote:Second murder suicide at the TSC this year.

Sad to hear.
Must be some dark energy circling around that area!
shinatoo wrote:
chaglang wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Does a tragedy like this save Pioli's job?
No, but it does keep everyone from complaining about him for the next few weeks.
Wrong. Pioli's is a megalomaniac control freak. He let's this type of person get to this point in his organization he should be held accountable. I would have fired him this morning.
Interesting point.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mykem wrote:
WSPanic wrote:Second murder suicide at the TSC this year.

Sad to hear.
Must be some dark energy circling around that area!

also, not the second murder suicide at TSC, just a suicide. The murder happened elsewhere.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I heard a rumor, and its just a rumor, that Belcher went to the Chiefs facility with the thought of killing someone. Someone who say, had been dipping his ink in the wrong well. But that someone wasn't there.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

@getnickwright: From a more than reliable source: Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel have officially been told they will NOT be back next year. #Chiefs

Christmas came early!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC-wildcat wrote:@getnickwright: From a more than reliable source: Scott Pioli and Romeo Crennel have officially been told they will NOT be back next year. #Chiefs

Christmas came early!
Why wouldn't they just fire them now? Wouldn't it be better to get a jump on competition for better candidates?

Also not a very bold prediction from Wright considering the year we've been having - but it is welcome news.

Who's on your short list for either job? I think a change of scenery for Andy Reid would be useful. Although, you get the idea the guy could use a year off.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Big, huge NO on Andy Reid. Ever.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chaglang wrote:Big, huge NO on Andy Reid. Ever.
Great point - well reasoned. Why on earth would we want a head coach who has only finished 3 times out of 14 under .500 and been to more conference championships in that time than we have in our franchise history.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

WSPanic wrote:
chaglang wrote:Big, huge NO on Andy Reid. Ever.
Great point - well reasoned. Why on earth would we want a head coach who has only finished 3 times out of 14 under .500 and been to more conference championships in that time than we have in our franchise history.
Would absolutely take Andy Reid. And Mike Vick too, assuming we draft a QB. Only other Coaches we could hope for would be Bill Cowher or Tony Dungee.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Andy Reid's first 7-8 seasons were great. I'd happily take him if he brought the 2000-2004 Eagles team with him. But, to paraphrase Rick Pitino, Jevon Kearse is not walking through that door. Reid's defense has gone from being top 5 under DC Jim Johnson, to somewhere in the high teens after Johnson's death. And that includes the defensive "Dream Team" they bought in 2009 or 2010. Their offense started sliding backwards as McNabb aged, was briefly reborn under Vick, and has now fallen to below average. Really the only thing left to watch on the Eagles is which coordinator or coach Reid jettisons this week, and whether he finally benches an unplayable Vick. He's all but certain to get canned after the season. This is the guy the Chiefs want?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:Andy Reid's first 7-8 seasons were great. I'd happily take him if he brought the 2000-2004 Eagles team with him.
First of all, you can chalk up any great coach's success to people other than themselves. Dungee had Manning, Belichek has Brady, Coughlin has Manning and sick defenses, Sean Payton has Brees, Tomlin has Big Ben and Polomalu. Reid had McNabb.

so, that's a non-starter.

Secondly, though 2000-2004 teams were clearly his pinnacle, his career has been pretty much sterling. In 14 seasons, he's had 9 playoff appearances, including 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010. 6 Division titles, including 2010. He's only finished lower than 2nd in the Division, 3 times in his entire career. He's had a losing record 3 times in his career (including this season).

Even if you remove 2000-2004 from the history books, Reid still had 4 playoff appearances, 2 Division Championships, and 1 Conference Championship appearance.

The Chiefs, during the same period of time, have 2 division titles, 3 playoff appearances (zero wins), and 6 last place division finishes.

So, you ask is this the guy the Chiefs want? If we can't get Cowher out of retirement... fuck yes I would take Andy Reid in a milisecond. He's better than any coach we've ever had in the modern era, including Marty.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Reid's tenure in Philly reminds me a bit of Marty's in Cleveland. Very competitive year in and year out, but could never win the big games. I wouldn't mind him at all.

Don't think Gruden or Cowher will even consider here. Not high on trying a college coach like Chip Kelly or Brian Kelly. I might consider Bob Stoops, but he wouldn't be that high on my list.

Kyle Shanahan seems like a really bright assistant. He's only 28 though - too young?

Perry Fewell, Giants DC, seems like a really promising assistant right now.

Rob Chudzinski, Panthers OC, is also held in high regard.

Bruce Arians has done a terrific job with the Colts on an interim basis. Clark says he looks at the Steelers as a model - Arians was a longtime Steelers assistant.

I wouldn't take Vick. I think he only has a year or two left in the league. We need someone that's going to be here the next 5-6 years. Draft a guy, or if you must, trade for a young guy like Matt Flynn, Kirk Cousins, or even Alex Smith.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Who for GM? That seems more important than the coach.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KC-wildcat wrote:So, you ask is this the guy the Chiefs want? If we can't get Cowher out of retirement... fuck yes I would take Andy Reid in a milisecond. He's better than any coach we've ever had in the modern era, including Marty.
Woooooo! Settle down. My point - and I'm not alone in making this - was that after Jim Johnson's death, the Eagles have not been nearly the team they were before. So the Andy Reid!!!!! of conference championships, etc., is not the Andy Reid of the last few years. Carry on.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Jets have Sanchex and Tebow available at QB.
;-)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bbqboy wrote:Who for GM? That seems more important than the coach.
Omar Khan, Pittsburgh Steelers, Director of Football & Business Administration

Brandon Hunt, Pittsburgh Steelers, Pro Personnel Coordinator

Vincent Newsome, Baltimore Ravens, Director of Pro Personnel

John Dorsey, Green Bay Packers, Director of Football Operations

Bill Polian, former GM of the Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Indianapolis Colts

Mike Holmgren, former coach Green Bay Packers, GM/coach Seattle Seahawks, GM Cleveland Browns

Floyd Reese, former Tennessee Titans GM

Mike Lombardi, former exec with the Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, now on NFL Network

Marc Ross, NY Giants, Director of College Scouting

Tom Gamble, San Francisco 49ers, Director of Player Personnel

Lake Dawson, Tennessee Titans, Vice President of Pro Personnel (former Chiefs wide receiver)

Jimmy Raye, San Diego Chargers, Director of Player Personnel (dad used to be Chiefs offensive coordinator)

Marty Schottenheimer, former Chiefs coach

Carl Peterson, former Chiefs GM :lol:
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

chaglang wrote:
So the Andy Reid!!!!! of conference championships, etc., is not the Andy Reid of the last few years. Carry on.
The question is whether Chiefs fans could/should be happy with Reid as our next head coach.

I think it's ridiculous to say NO, because Reid hasn't won any conference championships in the last few years.

Like I said in my earlier post, his 2000-2004 run was clearly his pinnacle. He's been unable to replicate that in recent years (few coaches could). But, don't suggest that his recent years have been failures because he hasn't been winning Conference Championships. We're the Chiefs, not the Patriots. Success is relative.

Again, forget 2000-2004. Just focus on the last few years. 2008-2010 he was 30-17-1, 3 playoff appearances, 1 division title (2010), 1 conference championship appearance (2008).

The Chiefs - in its entire history - have had 1 stretch (90-95) that is as successful as Reid's recent years.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That dog has better aim than Brady Quinn.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Through a turn of events, I'm joining Clark Hunt for the game today.

Anything in particular I should share with him?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

loftguy wrote:Through a turn of events, I'm joining Clark Hunt for the game today.

Anything in particular I should share with him?
Wow. Wish I hadn't missed this one.

I'd have asked what his opinions were on a rail service going near TSC or establishing that lot as a park and ride. Also, what is his stance on the Royals getting a dowtown stadium? Would that hurt the Chiefs in any way?

Then there are the obvious questions about being stingy and having duds at GM/Head Coach, but I'm not sure I'd say that to his face because I doubt he would talk honestly about it with a random person.

Did he impart anything interesting?