Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by chaglang »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Its not even in the Crossroads
Yep, and you'd think that Captain Westside, Tony, would know that.

I took a look at Tony's post, and the "blueprints" he obtained were from a flyer that was distributed door-to-door to the entire neighborhood. The drawings are from a BNIM/Bob Berkebile proposal. They are so top secret that my mom left her copy at my house and I recycled it.

This article http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/23/36 ... roved.html from May notes that "the developers are proposing a combination of market-value rental units and affordable rental units. Large spaces like the school’s auditorium, gymnasiums and library are being proposed as sites for community services." Hardly Section 8. It should also be noted that the neighborhood tried to sell to this same developer years ago and the KCMSD nixed the deal.

My suspicion is that the petition originated from within the neighborhood, and isn't the rich Downtown guys vs. poor Westside guys narrative that Tony wants it to be. I could absolutely see one of the swells living on the 1500 or 1600 blocks of Madison or Summit doing something like that.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote: I could absolutely see one of the swells living on the 1500 or 1600 blocks of Madison or Summit doing something like that.
Chaglang, I agree with your post, as you are well informed. I just don't understand the final line that I have quoted....? From all I have seen, the swells have been pretty suportive of sensible redevelopment at this site.

It's my guess that this pot of crap is being stirred by a neighborhood malcontent, who has an issue with this being too many apartments, too many poor people, a neighborhood market should be part of it, too many cars will result, and who knows what the next beef will be. His neighbors have started to recognize the unreasonable nature of the argument and have pulled away from him. I guess this is the hand grenade being thrown to keep it going.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:
chaglang wrote: I could absolutely see one of the swells living on the 1500 or 1600 blocks of Madison or Summit doing something like that.
Chaglang, I agree with your post, as you are well informed. I just don't understand the final line that I have quoted....? From all I have seen, the swells have been pretty suportive of sensible redevelopment at this site.

It's my guess that this pot of crap is being stirred by a neighborhood malcontent, who has an issue with this being too many apartments, too many poor people, a neighborhood market should be part of it, too many cars will result, and who knows what the next beef will be. His neighbors have started to recognize the unreasonable nature of the argument and have pulled away from him. I guess this is the hand grenade being thrown to keep it going.
You're totally right, and I debated about posting that part of the comment. I should have just left it alone. The Westside can be a tough neighborhood to please, and the fact that there is a consensus about the proposed use indicates to me that this petition is going nowhere.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

chaglang wrote:The Westside can be a tough neighborhood to please, and the fact that there is a consensus about the proposed use indicates to me that this petition is going nowhere.

This may be the most true statement I have read on the forum. This is one combative, hard-core bunch of folks, from all points on the spectrum and the level of support, interest and contribution to this development is unprecedented.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Forgive me for being naive, but what is a swell exactly?

I'm a bad neighbor because I have skipped all of the meetings about the redevelopment plan. Obviously, nobody in the area wants to put something in that will diminish property value, but the vacant, apocalyptic, wasteland eye-sore that it currently represents will be pretty easy to beat.

There are some fantastic streetscape plans for W. Pennway that have been floated out there, including a tiered, almost hanging garden just North of where the current vegetable garden pit and chicken coop reside. My hope is that whatever goes into the school property does not include too much in the way of an expanse of surface parking. I'm not sure that I have a specific preference for the development. Selfishly, I'd like for it to be anything that increases the surrounding properties' value or adds to my walkable amenities, but realistically, I know that there are a lot of great things that could be built to do neither for me. I'd rather it be something than nothing, though, and I'm haven't seen any reason to sign a petition to stop the current plan from coming to fruition. As I mentioned, I have not gone to any meetings and have only seen the flier, so not much detail yet on how definite everything is.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote:Forgive me for being naive, but what is a swell exactly?

I'm a bad neighbor because I have skipped all of the meetings about the redevelopment plan. Obviously, nobody in the area wants to put something in that will diminish property value, but the vacant, apocalyptic, wasteland eye-sore that it currently represents will be pretty easy to beat.

There are some fantastic streetscape plans for W. Pennway that have been floated out there, including a tiered, almost hanging garden just North of where the current vegetable garden pit and chicken coop reside. My hope is that whatever goes into the school property does not include too much in the way of an expanse of surface parking. I'm not sure that I have a specific preference for the development. Selfishly, I'd like for it to be anything that increases the surrounding properties' value or adds to my walkable amenities, but realistically, I know that there are a lot of great things that could be built to do neither for me. I'd rather it be something than nothing, though, and I'm haven't seen any reason to sign a petition to stop the current plan from coming to fruition. As I mentioned, I have not gone to any meetings and have only seen the flier, so not much detail yet on how definite everything is.
$#&^* I don't know what it is, but occasionally a reply post that I am writing will simply disappear, as I hit the backspace key to make a change, or correction.

Ok, that aside Bobbyhawks, I went to definition search "swell" and I'll be damned, but my use was not there to be found. Not in Webster, Slang, Urban, etc...

Chaglang, it was your usage and you can give your reference, but for me a swell is a person of means, standing, regard and social/business prominence, who hold themselves in especially high regard. The local publication "The Independent" would be nothing if it were not for "Swells".

With regard to the development along West Pennway. It is currently a placeholder design, as I understand. Something (residential) is to be built along there, but for now it's simply a block shaped blob to reflect intent to build and a study in density relevant to the land available as well as other uses necessary for the development (including parking and green space).

Be optimistic, though. This group is not new to the Westside and the project is a consortium of Westside interests, so the outcome is very likely to reflect the best that the general community can imagine. The details are going to change and evolve, and the community will be informed and given the opportunity to provide comment. You know, however, it will never get developed if this becomes a project directed by a few hundred of the strongly opinionated folks (damn are they ever opinionated! Almost as bad as Columbus Park!) who make up the Westside. I think we can anticipate that this will happen under the guidence of business and community leaders who have been pushing this possibility for the decades that the school district has been sitting on the decaying eyesore.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

loftguy wrote: Almost as bad as Columbus Park!
Watch it, loftguy. You are sooo swell!
In Columbus Park, we swill. In fact, everyone, there's a good show tomorrow night at the trap, Missouri and Gillis. Swell art and free beer!
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Correct me if I'm wrong (and, at this point, this discussion is turning into more of a Westside conversation), but aren't all those apartments on the west side of West Pennway some sort of subsidized housing? I was under the impression that they were at least income restricted if not Section 8 housing.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (and, at this point, this discussion is turning into more of a Westside conversation), but aren't all those apartments on the west side of West Pennway some sort of subsidized housing? I was under the impression that they were at least income restricted if not Section 8 housing.
I think you are correct. So are all of the places on W Bluff Drive to the Southwest (just North of Avenida de Cesar Chavez). The apartment/townhomes on W. Pennway are a lot nicer looking, though.

I have a few friends who want to live in the Westside, but there aren't a lot of great rental opportunities. Many of the units in the North are word of mouth and fill up quickly. I understand the need still for income restricted rentals, but I'm sure that market rate would do quite well in this area. Whatever happens to the schools, the sooner the better.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote: Ok, that aside Bobbyhawks, I went to definition search "swell" and I'll be damned, but my use was not there to be found. Not in Webster, Slang, Urban, etc...

Chaglang, it was your usage and you can give your reference, but for me a swell is a person of means, standing, regard and social/business prominence, who hold themselves in especially high regard. The local publication "The Independent" would be nothing if it were not for "Swells".
That's it. I think it's an east coast term and probably went out of usage before WW2. The first time I heard it was in a James Cagney movie.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chaglang wrote:
loftguy wrote: Ok, that aside Bobbyhawks, I went to definition search "swell" and I'll be damned, but my use was not there to be found. Not in Webster, Slang, Urban, etc...

That's it. I think it's an east coast term and probably went out of usage before WW2. The first time I heard it was in a James Cagney movie.
I like it. I'm throwing it into my repertoire with "Chauncey" to describe a snobby person or group of snobby persons (Chauncies - sp?).
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

heatherkay wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong (and, at this point, this discussion is turning into more of a Westside conversation), but aren't all those apartments on the west side of West Pennway some sort of subsidized housing? I was under the impression that they were at least income restricted if not Section 8 housing.

That is Vista del Sol. Have you ever walked around those blocks? This property is maintained beautifully. It is a combination of subsidized and market rate rentals AND market rate privately owned homes. A unique combination, that has created a community with great pride in their homes, owned or not.

Prior to redevelopment, this was the location of some of the most frightening and desperate apartments under the then so-called management of the Housing Authority.

Those entities spearheading the redevelopment of West High are the same parties that brought about Vista del Sol in the '90's.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Yeah -- we call it the World's Nicest Housing Project.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Vista Del Sol is managed by McCormack Baron Salazar, who used to manage all the new and renovated housing on Quality Hill.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

from the parks board agenda:
RESOLUTION #29933 - Considering Board approval for the redevelopment plan for 2102 Broadway building which includes an eatery.
building has been under renovation for awhile. was previously creative candles.

christ community church has leased a recently renovated building at 1708 baltimore. they had previously met at screenland crossroads.

also, there's a very tentative deal to renovate the corrigan building at 19th and walnut.

and finally, it appears the jonathan justus restaurant across from webster house has fallen through.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wonder what the plans are for the Corrigan Building?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote:I wonder what the plans are for the Corrigan Building?
all i heard was residential and park. very tentative.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Loftguy said that building wasn't well-suited for residential.

Loftguy: "Out of your list, the property that I would instinctively remove from the potential residential list, the Corrigan building, is likely too well occupied and the investment in existing office finishes too high, to allow conversion."
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We heard a mix, not all residential.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote:Loftguy said that building wasn't well-suited for residential.

Loftguy: "Out of your list, the property that I would instinctively remove from the potential residential list, the Corrigan building, is likely too well occupied and the investment in existing office finishes too high, to allow conversion."
the building I work in is mixed.

three floors of offices and 8 floors of residental. the office floors are twice as wide plus no long hallway and one less stairwell and one less elevator so it's almost 1:1 office to residental space