OFFICIAL: West Edge/Plaza Vista development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: OFFICIAL: West Edge development

Post by taxi »

PS did not buy the building or any of it, they are merely lessees. When you have more than a billion dollars, like past and present owner Mr. Van Tyle, you can do whatever you want. Which, invariably, does not include burning money. All of these cats are spending money, scratching each others' backs and making money.

As a half-assed and dumbass developer, myself, even I could have taken what was there and figured out how to reuse it to house a bunch of attorneys at a lower price than demo/rebuild. But, I wouldn't be making money off all of those contracts and transactions and I wouldn't get that fancy lease rate. And PS wouldn't have their "own" building. That idea that re-use was more costly than demo/rebuild is just simply not true, I don't care who you know who knows this about the HVAC or that about the car wash or has seen the change orders, I just can't believe it. Even if it was true, it is the biggest waste imaginable and that waste is unconscionable.

But, alas, they have finally broken the curse of the West Edge. Like the conquistadors before them, they have come and conquered. Tear down that pagan temple of hedonism and creativity and erect our own church right on top of it, built with blocks of justice and litigation!

I will, some day, get to the bottom of this. That, or end up entombed in that concrete garage, near the car wash, maybe even rotting distance from one of Pendergast's adversaries.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KC-wildcat wrote: And, the fact that this development couldn't find a buyer when it was essentially being given away is a very telling story.
That is not telling nothing. That auction occurred during a very difficult time, as far as lending and real estate goes, and there are few buyers around that can pay cash, which is what happened.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

taxi wrote:PS did not buy the building or any of it, they are merely lessees. When you have more than a billion dollars, like past and present owner Mr. Van Tyle, you can do whatever you want. Which, invariably, does not include burning money. All of these cats are spending money, scratching each others' backs and making money.

As a half-assed and dumbass developer, myself, even I could have taken what was there and figured out how to reuse it to house a bunch of attorneys at a lower price than demo/rebuild. But, I wouldn't be making money off all of those contracts and transactions and I wouldn't get that fancy lease rate. And PS wouldn't have their "own" building. That idea that re-use was more costly than demo/rebuild is just simply not true, I don't care who you know who knows this about the HVAC or that about the car wash or has seen the change orders, I just can't believe it. Even if it was true, it is the biggest waste imaginable and that waste is unconscionable.

But, alas, they have finally broken the curse of the West Edge. Like the conquistadors before them, they have come and conquered. Tear down that pagan temple of hedonism and creativity and erect our own church right on top of it, built with blocks of justice and litigation!

I will, some day, get to the bottom of this. That, or end up entombed in that concrete garage, near the car wash, maybe even rotting distance from one of Pendergast's adversaries.
So basically, you're saying that in all cases, it is cheaper to retrofit than to tear down and rebuild.

And this statement is asanine.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I did not say in all cases, I said in this case.
Asinine? This one goes to aseleven.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A couple of thoughts as the "old" West Edge nears its end -

1. What a monumental waste. I just cannot get over the idea of the slow teardown of a 75% complete, 10-story reinforced concrete structure. Watching them chip away at that hulk day by day is hilarious. What is the precedent for this kind of near-complete project demo and rebuilding (like-size, cheaper building on same lot)? Certainly it isn't common.

2. I truly hope the "new" building maintains the majority of the mixed use vision of the old project, with ample retail at street level. I still have high hopes for this and the resulting enhanced connection b/w West Plaza hoods and Plaza proper.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

taxi wrote:As a half-assed and dumbass developer, myself, even I could have taken what was there and figured out how to reuse it to house a bunch of attorneys at a lower price than demo/rebuild. But, I wouldn't be making money off all of those contracts and transactions and I wouldn't get that fancy lease rate. And PS wouldn't have their "own" building. That idea that re-use was more costly than demo/rebuild is just simply not true, I don't care who you know who knows this about the HVAC or that about the car wash or has seen the change orders, I just can't believe it. Even if it was true, it is the biggest waste imaginable and that waste is unconscionable.
Is it that you refuse to believe to what they are doing now is more economical than to finish what was there? Or is it you liked the original design and wanted it completed? Do you have some inside insight to the decision making process?

I am not a "half-assed and dumbass developer" like you but I can think of a few reasons why the demolish/rebuild is cheaper than to finish out what was there. One would be the cost of filling in the atrium with floor space. Another would be the cost of the exterior surface. A third would be the required reworking of the utilities and HVAC systems (the original design had the office building and hotel under one overall ownership - now the buildings are to be stand-alone structures). And I am sure an insider can come up with a few more items.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

At any rate, this plan has construction workers working, when we all know work is needed. If Van Tyle wants to spend his money tearing down and rebuilding incomplete buildings in the economy, then I say go for it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

shinatoo wrote:At any rate, this plan has construction workers working, when we all know work is needed. If Van Tyle wants to spend his money tearing down and rebuilding incomplete buildings in the economy, then I say go for it.
Let's not forget it was Mr Van Tuyl who purchased the property in the first place back in the late 90s/early 00s, let the buildings and parking garage deteriorate, got the classified as blighted and then started the entire redevelopment in the first place.

It only took an extra decade before he was able to bring his initial vision to fruition...at a fraction of the cost. He's no savior of the workforce, just a savvy businessman.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcjak wrote:
shinatoo wrote:At any rate, this plan has construction workers working, when we all know work is needed. If Van Tyle wants to spend his money tearing down and rebuilding incomplete buildings in the economy, then I say go for it.
Let's not forget it was Mr Van Tuyl who purchased the property in the first place back in the late 90s/early 00s, let the buildings and parking garage deteriorate, got the classified as blighted and then started the entire redevelopment in the first place.

It only took an extra decade before he was able to bring his initial vision to fruition...at a fraction of the cost. He's no savior of the workforce, just a savvy businessman.
Never said he was, just said if that's how he wants to spend his money, spend away. He should also eat at JJ's every night.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC-wildcat wrote:
loftguy wrote:
Our local history has an immense unwritten volume on the valuable, usable, iconic gems of structures that have been destroyed by "professionals" who did not recognize, or value, that which they controlled. It's a big part of the story of Kansas City.
This uncomplete shell of a building is not a "valuable, usable, iconic gem of a structure." If built as designed, it may have become iconic. But, it was not built as designed.
It was up until the point of demolition..

Duh.. :roll:
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC-wildcat wrote:Why did they burn good money tearing it down and restarting?

Just because?
For the same reason that I could tear down a foreclosed, half-built mansion, and rebuild a wooden shack in it's place..

It's ALL about the money, it always is. ;-)
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

im2kull wrote:
KC-wildcat wrote:Why did they burn good money tearing it down and restarting?

Just because?
For the same reason that I could tear down a foreclosed, half-built mansion, and rebuild a wooden shack in it's place..

It's ALL about the money, it always is. ;-)
Right. All about the money. Saving money.

Thats my point.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KC-wildcat wrote: Right. All about the money. Saving money.

Thats my point.
Or making more money. We agree.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Looks like 2nd tower crane going up @ northeast corner.

They are almost done with the "deconstruction" and new steel is already being set. This thing will go up fast!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

New name for this project! "Plaza Vista"!

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... -gets.html
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: West Edge/Plaza Vista development

Post by longviewmo »

vis·ta/ˈvistə/

1. A pleasing view, esp. one seen through a long, narrow opening: "a vista of church spires".
2. A mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events: "vistas of freedom".

I'd say the second one is accurate for this project.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Man, the final rendering looks more bland than the last. Oh well...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Vista Del El Brush Creeko. :D
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Midtownkid wrote:Man, the final rendering looks more bland than the last. Oh well...
yea, its just an office building. could've been more, but as you say. oh well, at least we can move past this..
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

FangKC wrote:Vista Del El Brush Creeko. :D
Vista Del Bankruptcy