Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Kansas City to get 2012 MLB All-Star Game

Post by GRID »

bobbyhawks wrote:I think, for one off experiences, people are more forgiving of a remote location and a new type of experience. Some of the major points of a downtown stadium are to put it closer, from more angles, to more people already in the metro, and to connect the team to the city's image and identity. There are tens of thousands of people in businesses downtown who either already have company tickets or would be more likely to have company tickets to these games. A huge portion of the tickets sucked up at any sports venue now are from corporations and small businesses. Why do you think it is that the Royals will announce 20k fans on a Wednesday night game when the stands look more like 12 to 15? It is because going to a Royals game can be such a chore. Have you ever tried to get rid of tickets? Even on weekends, it can be a challenge. Want to have a night on the town AND see a Royals game? Good luck finding a DD or avoiding checkpoints. Our team is far and away the #1 reason why attendance is low, but there are so many benefits to a dowtown stadium, even if attendance is low, that can't be quantified or qualified. You don't just think that a town is a "major league town," but you see it and feel it from the core, literally.

People were mostly satisfied with the stadium in 2007 in the way they are satisfied now. The only point of dumping 50% of new stadium money into this place was to temporarily boost attendance while the team still sucks (also boosts the franchise value quickly). If you wish to modify my previous analogy to Kauffman = Lexus with new paint and DT = new Camry, then why wouldn't we drive the Lexus without the paint job (and that we're already happy with) a little longer so that we could get another new Lexus? It just doesn't make sense to me. And to me, Kauffman is no Lexus. It is an anomaly in that it is still a nice park considering it was built in the early 70s, but it is far from one of the premier parks in the league.

People tell us all the time how nice the K is, and it is a nice stadium. Lets not fool ourselves, though. It is a concrete bowl in the middle of an ocean of more concrete and asphalt, with fountains and an awesome scoreboard. The fountains and scoreboard are really the entire reason the stadium has any sort of nice quality to it (aside from history and nostalgia). Those can still be moved to a new stadium. The entire reason why people prefer that location is so that they can leave quickly and be on the highway. Is that really the kind of patronage and community interaction we wish to promote?

Citing Dallas and LA as reasons why KC should stick with a suburban park also doesn't really make sense to me. With 5+ million people, the stadium will draw regardless of where it is. Also, citing Pittsburgh as a reason why the stadium location won't draw fans is disingenuous. Pittsburgh has been just as hapless as the Royals in recent years, and they are not an equivalent baseball city in my opinion. But one thing that everyone, almost universally, says about their baseball park is that it is beautiful and in a great location. It is a major feature of their urban environment. People cite, time and time again, the view and the location as a major benefit. People also rank the Rangers' stadium in the bottom third frequently. KC is almost never listed as a top stadium. A 2008 SI survey cited the K at #12 in a fan poll, but the lowest ranked qualities of the stadium (aside from the poor quality of play) were atmosphere, "getting to the game," and neighborhood. Some of the main reasons why we were #12 were affordability and food, which have little to do with the stadium.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... oyals.html
http://away.com/features/top-ten-baseba ... ums-1.html
http://www.travelandleisure.com/article ... l-stadiums
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1006 ... ll/page/31
http://www.ballparks.com/baseball/gener ... 050423.htm
Dude, you are preaching to the choir, sort of...

I fully support and wished KC would have built a downtown stadium. My point is that the location of Kauffman is not really that big of an issue to 99% of the fans that go there. A downtown stadium would have been awesome for KC. But it didn't happen and it's likely 15-20 years from even being discussed again, so why lose sleep over it? Life's too short. Kauffman is a great park. I have been to them all and can compare.
And why do you mention Dallas and not Milwaukee when quoting me on how remote stadiums do draw well??? Come on. At least be fair with your quoting. People in Philly generally don't give a rip about their stadium's remote location. It's in the city, but may as well be 20 miles out. They like the access. It makes no difference. And every body does like the stadiums Pittsburgh and Cincy and Cleveland and Seattle. But everybody saw a game there and now there are just not many fans that want to go to those stadiums just because they are downtown, even when the teams are playing well.

I also think you are grossly exaggerating the corporate support of a stadium's location while ignoring that fact that the vast majority of fans to the park will come from the suburbs and region, not the downtown core, regardless of the location of the stadium. Did I mention that Baltimore has been drawing like 10-15k on weekday games this season to see a first place team? The Nationals are near several hundred thousand residents and employees and they don't draw crap on weeknights either. Then on the weekends, the region comes down and fills up the stadiums in DC and Balt. Just like KC. KC's corporate community basically turns its back on downtown anyway. Why would it matter if the Royals were down there. I think you would get the same amount of corporate season tickets. You are talking about filling a small section of a stadium with these downtown dwellers while you are probably causing four times that many to avoid the stadium because they do't want to drive downtown on a weekday and deal with parking and traffic.

Like I said, I agree with you. I support a downtown stadium. But you are exaggerating the support a downtown stadium generates while ignoring the much bigger fan base of the metro that prefers the convenience of the TSC and making way to big a deal out of the location in the first place. The Royals need to play 500 plus ball...consitantly. Then watch one of the better baseball towns come alive and KC will average 30k plus a game. I'm not sure it would have been the best idea for KCMO to spend 500 million on a park all by itself anyway (because it wouldn't have had any support from the region) and if they put that much into a ballpark, it would have been that much harder to get many other much needed projects done. The city can't even find enough money to build a 2 mile long streetcar line.

But it would have been nice to have a downtown park. It would have helped fight the kansas/country image of kc to have an actual city surrounding the baseball stadium instead of freeways and sparse haphazard development.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

bobbyhawks wrote: And to me, Kauffman is no Lexus. It is an anomaly in that it is still a nice park considering it was built in the early 70s, but it is far from one of the premier parks in the league.

People tell us all the time how nice the K is, and it is a nice stadium. Lets not fool ourselves, though. It is a concrete bowl in the middle of an ocean of more concrete and asphalt, with fountains and an awesome scoreboard. The fountains and scoreboard are really the entire reason the stadium has any sort of nice quality
A lot of people disagree.

Like ESPN:
Our final grades for all 30 ballparks:

PNC Park (Pirates): 95
Pac Bell (Giants): 93
Camden Yards (Orioles): 92
Coors Field (Rockies): 85
Edison Field (Angels): 84
Kauffman Stadium (Royals): 84
Wrigley Field (Cubs): 84
Dodger Stadium (Dodgers): 82.5
Comerica Park (Tigers): 82
Fenway Park (Red Sox): 81.5
Safeco Field (Mariners): 81.5
Jacobs Field (Indians): 81
Turner Field (Braves): 81
Ballpark at Arlington (Rangers): 80
Great American Ball Park (Reds): 79
Minute Maid Park (Astros): 78.5
Miller Park (Brewers): 78.5
Busch Stadium (Cardinals): 78
Pro Player Stadium (Marlins): 78
U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox): 74
Yankee Stadium (Yankees): 73.5
Bank One Ballpark (D-Backs): 72
SkyDome (Blue Jays): 67
Metrodome (Twins): 66.25
Shea Stadium (Mets): 63
Network Associates (A's): 59
Qualcomm Stadium (Padres): 58
Tropicana Field (Devil Rays): 56
Veterans Stadium (Phillies): 53.5
Olympic Stadium (Expos): 49
baseballpark.com:
Kauffman has gone from a wonderful park to one of the very, very best in the sport
ballparkofbaseball.com:
For more than 35 years Kauffman Stadium has been one of the best ballparks in baseball
Although today it is one of the oldest stadiums in baseball, it remains one of the best in the sport
countless freelance sports writers:
Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, which is one of the best ballparks in all of baseball
It's a stadium that was built in the '70s, but always felt — cramped concourses aside — much newer than that. The sightlines were always great, even if the baseball wasn't and the fanbase was always focused and knowledgeable. Kauffman is the great hidden gem in America's collection of ballparks and I expect that it's going to remain that way.
Though the Royals have arguably been Major League Baseball's most downtrodden franchise since their lone World Series win in 1985, one would hardly know it given Kauffman's tremendous combination of originality and amenities new and old. Already one of the most unique venues in baseball, The K underwent a massive face-lift completed in time for Opening Day 2009. Given the fantastic new additions to a ballpark that already carried a solid reputation, it's no surprise Kansas City was selected to host July's 2012 MLB All-Star Game.
While the on-field product may be one of the worst in the league, the stadium that the Royals take the field on is one of the best in the Majors. Before and after renovations, that’s the one thing that remained unchanged.

And about those supposedly moveable fountains:
Fans can ooh and aww at the manmade waterfall fountains, which Kauffman spent $1.5 million of his own money to construct
And speaking of the fountains, they are better than ever. I've said many, many times that they represent the best ballpark feature in America.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

shinatoo wrote:
chingon wrote:I bet a new stadium is on the table within a decade, anyway. The cycle of obsolescence is growing shorter and shorter in pro sports stadia (as the corporations that run them realize just how easy it is to squeeze taxpayers).
I believe there was a study about the 50 year mark. If a stadium makes it past 50 years it's statistically unlikely to be torn down for another 50. Dodgers stadium is at or near 50 and they are probably going to have to announce a move in the next two years or nostalgia is going to set in hard.
I read that study (or rather and article about the study, probably), but its not like a switch gets flipped right at 50 years on the date of construction. It's pretty approximate.

I love Kauffman, and there are things about the renovations and the amount of busy shit and advertisement-saturation in baseball stadia now that I don't care for, but there are other things I can really get behind. I love having the outfield shit to take my kids to for a few innings, I love the concourse space and the bathroom ratio.

I also think the "I can see tall buildings in the background" fetish is pretty goofy. I don't really go to ball games to see skylines. But I do think it would be nice to take a bus to games, get drunk and be able to walk to a bar or get dinner afterwards. I can garauntee I would have full season tickets if Kauffman was on the MAX line. But I don't think it would make a real difference to most people. The walk to their cars would be different and that's it. I think the reality is that there are just as many people in Strongsville, OH who randomly decide NOT to go to an Indians game because they don't want to fuck with the hassle of driving into downtown Cleveland and finding a park space as there are people in Shaker Heights who randomly decide to hop on the RTA and catch a game then go out for drinks afterwards.

I, too, wish the stadium was downtown, especially if tax money is paying for a portion of it. I'd be willing to give up Kauffman to see it moved, but I also can't imagine we'd get a better, longer-lasting, more unique park out of the deal, and I don't think it would be as much of a game changer as some people seem to.

EDIT:

should have read GRID's post before I bothered, since I could have just wrote "ditto" (or "+1", for you inter-natives).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kauffman is great, the location blows, this is the 5,000th iteration of this conversation.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chingon wrote: A lot of people disagree.

Like ESPN:

They reviewed the Expos' Olympic stadium in this. Case in point, I think that our stadium is viewed with nearly identical favorability in comparison to other stadiums as it was before dumping 50% of new stadium money into it.

I could cherry pick some negative crit, too, but I won't. This will be interesting to follow:
http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/i ... e-mlb-best

More importantly, I don't want people to put words into my mouth. I am not, nor was I ever claiming that downtown residents will somehow save the franchise or make the move worthwhile. However, the location becomes important as a recognizeable iconic location in the city, and making that 45 minute trip for someone out West a 30 minute trip makes a huge difference. My argument isn't that downtown is a better location just because of urban-minded individuals, but rather that it is a better location for everyone in the metropolitan area. The closeness to a lot of large businesses is a bonus. Nobody is dumb enough to think that downtown residents would make a significant dent in attendance, but what exactly are the residents surrounding the similar footprint of the current stadium doing? The K does nothing for its current location, and it is still entirely dependent on the team playing well to truly maximize attendance. The K could do so much for our downtown even without great attendance. That is the point I am trying to make. Attendance would be nice, but that is still ultimately up to the team and the ownership. The benefits to the city can be completely independent factors, though.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

is there not a thread dedicated to DT stadium talk?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

bobbyhawks wrote:

Like ESPN:

They reviewed the Expos' Olympic stadium in this. Case in point, I think that our stadium is viewed with nearly identical favorability in comparison to other stadiums as it was before dumping 50% of new stadium money into it.

I could cherry pick some negative crit, too, but I won't. This will be interesting to follow:

More importantly, I don't want people to put words into my mouth. I am not, nor was I ever claiming that downtown residents will somehow save the franchise or make the move worthwhile. However, the location becomes important as a recognizeable iconic location in the city, and making that 45 minute trip for someone out West a 30 minute trip makes a huge difference. My argument isn't that downtown is a better location just because of urban-minded individuals, but rather that it is a better location for everyone in the metropolitan area. The closeness to a lot of large businesses is a bonus. Nobody is dumb enough to think that downtown residents would make a significant dent in attendance, but what exactly are the residents surrounding the similar footprint of the current stadium doing? The K does nothing for its current location, and it is still entirely dependent on the team playing well to truly maximize attendance. The K could do so much for our downtown even without great attendance. That is the point I am trying to make. Attendance would be nice, but that is still ultimately up to the team and the ownership. The benefits to the city can be completely independent factors, though.
I'm not trying to call you out, or cherry pick opinions or start a tit for tat argument. We differ only in our estimation of the actual park itself. I think it's irreplaceable.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

bobbyhawks wrote:

Like ESPN:

But my point is a downtown stadium won't do much for downtown either. They just don't create a lot of eco activity. You have to either force a stadium into an already developed vibrant area (lodo in Denver, gaslight in San Diego, Inner Harbor in Balt, Downtown Minneapolis etc or force development around a downtown stadium with a ton of public money like what's going on in DC, Cincy etc. Go to Atlanta and Houston and Phoenix and Cleveland and there is not much at all around the stadiums for many many blocks. Maybe a mid range hotel like a Hilton garden in or something, (or about the same spin off development you see at I-70 and Blue Ridge) it's mostly parking lots and garages.

If you just put a stadium downtown, nothing happens besides a few bars and more parking lots. Even Camden Yards has more parking than anything else around it although you can walk to the inner harbor. It's DEAD DEAD DEAD most of the time around that place. The city built a convention hotel next to it. That's about all that has happened since it opened. Coors Field was built near the booming LoDo area. If they didn't build that there, most of that area would be residential today,not parking lots. It's close to LoDo and Downtown, but by itself it doesn't do much and it's also a dead area of denver. LoDo would be fine with or without it because it would have developed into a more mixed use 24 hour area had the stadium not gone there so it's a wash. There are couple of city funded apartment buildings near it now. St Louis? Shall I say any more about them? Stadiums all over the place and one of the least vibrant downtowns there is. People walking from metro stations and garages to stadiums before and after games does not equal vibrancy. It would be like KC putting the stadium right next to the plaza and then saying "look at what the stadium has done for KC!" then ignoring the fact that the stadium is slowly creating a dead footprint of parking lots that is only active before and after games and just creating traffic that does little but keep people from visiting the plaza during games because of traffic and parking issues. A stadium near the plaza would actually hurt the plaza as a retail area more than help it. It would be a wash at best.

Having said that I would love to see downtown KC with a ballpark. It would have been awesome. Till you drove east on 70 and pass by a bunch of run down vacant hotel buildings and a big parking lot used to store cars for claycomo or somthing. Stadiums don't create a lot of eco dev, but moving kauffman would have extended the ghetto of KC into independence. Things were just not that simple with Kauffman. If Kauffman did not exist that's one thing. But there are so many more variables. The Chiefs wanted them to stay to help pay or the complex. Jackson County wanted them to stay for obvious eco reasons and to avoid blight. KCMO didn't have the money to build a 400 millin dollar stadium with 5% help from Glass and no help from the region. Independence has hotels and commercial areas that have come to depend on ball game traffic along 70. Most of all the fans and voters (from across the metro) overwhelmingly wanted them to stay at the TSC. If the royals played in a crappy multi purpose stadium in the west bottoms than it would have been a no brainier.

One more thing. If you want to be closer to people, you sure wouldn't move the stadium west. So that's a poor argument. Jackson County alone has way more people than WyCo does and the MO side in general is more built up (even the rural counties to the east). Johnson County people can F off and drive to stadiums where ever they are just like everything else in the metro. That county is the biggest thorn in the side of KCMO (or any city) I have ever seen any place and KCMO should not be catoring to them. There is nothing kcmo can do to get the respect of JoCo anyway, so why try? It's amazing KCMO is as nice as it is with JoCo freeloading and poaching off of them like they do. The pro downtown/joco anti east jax crowd may not like Independence, but why would it be fair to the people there to create even more blight in their backyard to create another kcmo funded playground for joco (only so they can bitch about how poorly run it is anyway).

A downtown stadium would be great. But the last people I would build it for would be JoCo. It's bad enough you would take most of the suburban hotel stays out of east jax and put them into JoCo if the stadium moved.

Develop the area around the TSC. Retail will never work there, but at least get the area looking better. The new bridge has helped some.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 5 times in total.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Most of what detracts from Kauffman is the lack of development around it. There is hardly anything besides the stadiums from I-435 to Pittman and I-70 to 47th Street. Convince some company or office development to go in that vast area, and you'd have an employee base really close to whatever goes on at the stadiums. Those "empty" lots next to FCA actually have houses on them, but they're practically invisible. I'm not sure why a hotel didn't buy up the land years ago. That location would practically be free advertising for whoever wants to build there.

If they ever decide that Kansas City should have some type of rapid transit out to the suburbs, it will almost certainly run on those old Missouri Pacific tracks at the edge of the sports complex. That type of access would put the stadium on par with most "downtown" stadiums.

Kauffman is one of the premier parks in the MLB. Sure, it isn't the newest one on the block, but that old line about it being many years ahead of its time is true.

While were throwing out crappy downtown stadiums, the Metrodome and Marlins Ballpark both get my vote. Marlins Ballpark really felt like it was built and a slum and you would be SOL if you didn't buy parking in one of the four garages almost attached to the stadium. The only other parking was on the street or at gas stations. The inside of the stadium was horrible by modern standards or using Kauffman as a guide too, but there's so much wrong that'd probably be a post by itself.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

longviewmo wrote:While were throwing out crappy downtown stadiums, the Metrodome and Marlins Ballpark both get my vote. Marlins Ballpark really felt like it was built and a slum and you would be SOL if you didn't buy parking in one of the four garages almost attached to the stadium. The only other parking was on the street or at gas stations. The inside of the stadium was horrible by modern standards or using Kauffman as a guide too, but there's so much wrong that'd probably be a post by itself.
Marlins park is hideous. Go there once and then you will donate money to the royals to keep the fountains going. What a joke. It's not downtown either. You can see the skyline though! They will be back to their normal attendance by next year. Crowds are already small for a new park and they would have been better off building an new one out in the burbs then at that location.

Also, I have spoke with several Twins fans and while Target is a very neat and very urban park. Fans have told me they still prefer Kauffman Stadium over it. They say the footprint is way too small, parking is not great etc. They basically tell me that Kauffman is better for watching a game. Target is better for showing off the city. Good baseball city though so they will do okay with Target. But Twins fans will still enjoy traveling to KC for road games because they really like Kauffman Stadium.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I actually really like the Ballpark at Arlington. I like that its really enclosed and ever seat feels like its on top of the field but that place is awful in July and August, not having a roof is worst idea ever. Don't know why Target Field is 5, i think it's kind of overrated, it kind of reminded me of Nationals park
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

A fixed transit solution to the ballpark would completely change my outlook on the stadium, but I think the unique features of the stadium could easily be recreated downtown and even improved upon, where we already have oceans of parking. Kemper Arena? Crossroads? North loop? East Loop? SW BLVD?
GRID wrote:But my point is a downtown stadium won't do much for downtown either. They just don't create a lot of eco activity. You have to either force a stadium into an already developed vibrant area (lodo in Denver, gaslight in San Diego, Inner Harbor in Balt, Downtown Minneapolis etc or force development around a downtown stadium with a ton of public money like what's going on in DC, Cincy etc. Go to Atlanta and Houston and Phoenix and Cleveland and there is not much at all around the stadiums for many many blocks. Maybe a mid range hotel like a Hilton garden in or something, (or about the same spin off development you see at I-70 and Blue Ridge) it's mostly parking lots and garages.

If you just put a stadium downtown, nothing happens besides a few bars and more parking lots. Even Camden Yards has more parking than anything else around it although you can walk to the inner harbor. It's DEAD DEAD DEAD most of the time around that place. The city built a convention hotel next to it. That's about all that has happened since it opened. Coors Field was built near the booming LoDo area. If they didn't build that there, most of that area would be residential today,not parking lots. It's close to LoDo and Downtown, but by itself it doesn't do much and it's also a dead area of denver. LoDo would be fine with or without it because it would have developed into a more mixed use 24 hour area had the stadium not gone there so it's a wash. There are couple of city funded apartment buildings near it now. St Louis? Shall I say any more about them? Stadiums all over the place and one of the least vibrant downtowns there is. People walking from metro stations and garages to stadiums before and after games does not equal vibrancy. It would be like KC putting the stadium right next to the plaza and then saying "look at what the stadium has done for KC!" then ignoring the fact that the stadium is slowly creating a dead footprint of parking lots that is only active before and after games and just creating traffic that does little but keep people from visiting the plaza during games because of traffic and parking issues. A stadium near the plaza would actually hurt the plaza as a retail area more than help it. It would be a wash at best.
If you actually believe all this, then I have no clue how you can also think this...
GRID wrote:Having said that I would love to see downtown KC with a ballpark.
To me, if there is no benefit to the city or to a majority of fans in placing a stadium downtown, as you have enumerated, then we should never have a stadium downtown, and all other cities are fools for putting stadiums downtown because it has never created a benefit to the city. Realistically, though, I think you would find that a downtown stadium is important to a lot of people, and that it adds to the atmosphere, and that it does add to a city's image, and to the fan experience, and to the perception from outsiders. Everyone has decided that KC would build a crappy stadium downtown. What if we built the best stadium ever? What if Populous created a glass outfield with fountains shooting like guysers across the skyline of H&R and the KCPA and the Star building, and eco-friendly, self-cooling outdoor seating with bank tubing concessions delivered to every seat? Why is everyone assuming that what we have is better than what we could have? I believe that one thing that made Ewing Kauffman a great man was his vision, and he had amazing vision to help spearhead TSC in the early 70s. He was not a man who settled for what was in front of him, but one who strove to be the best. Our city is always complacent, always realistic, and frequently unimaginative. Perhaps I'm just in the wrong city, but I have more faith in our community to do something fantastic like a few visionaries did with the KCPA, a move that is very much in keeping with the Kauffman tradition.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:

PNC Park (Pirates): 95
Pac Bell (Giants): 93
Camden Yards (Orioles): 92
Coors Field (Rockies): 85
Edison Field (Angels): 84
Wrigley Field (Cubs): 84
Dodger Stadium (Dodgers): 82.5
I love that Kauffman finished ahead of Dodger Stadium, only because the stadium (and the unis...) are one big homage to the Dodgers.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

shinatoo wrote:
chingon wrote:I bet a new stadium is on the table within a decade, anyway. The cycle of obsolescence is growing shorter and shorter in pro sports stadia (as the corporations that run them realize just how easy it is to squeeze taxpayers).
I believe there was a study about the 50 year mark. If a stadium makes it past 50 years it's statistically unlikely to be torn down for another 50. Dodgers stadium is at or near 50 and they are probably going to have to announce a move in the next two years or nostalgia is going to set in hard.

teams will be happy with a 100 year old stadium if it has enough luxury boxes
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

[quote="longviewmo".

If they ever decide that Kansas City should have some type of rapid transit out to the suburbs, it will almost certainly run on those old Missouri Pacific tracks at the edge of the sports complex. That type of access would put the stadium on par with most "downtown" stadiums.
[/quote]

I thought they wanted to those that right of way as a Katy Trail connection
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It's kind of hard to tell what they want anymore. A while back they were pursuing the Katy Trail, but I haven't heard much about it at all lately. MARC's regional plans have parts of it tagged as a bike trail (http://www.marc.org/2040/assets/plan/Bi ... ojects.pdf), yet a thing published in April has the exact same route being used for public transit (http://www.kcsmartmoves.org/pdf/jackson ... isplay.pdf). I'd prefer the Katy Trail because the corridor goes through quite a few neighborhoods now.
Last edited by longviewmo on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

pstokely wrote:[quote="longviewmo".

I thought they wanted to those that right of way as a Katy Trail connection[/quote]

The section from Lees Summit to DT is supposed to be combined Rail/Trail.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

But they serve Wal-Mart steaks!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

chingon wrote: but there are other things I can really get behind. I love having the outfield shit to take my kids to for a few innings, I love the concourse space and the bathroom ratio.

I also think the "I can see tall buildings in the background" fetish is pretty goofy. I don't really go to ball games to see skylines. But I do think it would be nice to take a bus to games, get drunk and be able to walk to a bar or get dinner afterwards. I can garauntee I would have full season tickets if Kauffman was on the MAX line.
Kids and drunk at the same time?