Alamo Drafthouse Cinema coming to KC

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema coming to KC

Post by kcjak »

I'm nervous about this - I really like AMC Mainstreet and really like having it as sort of a flagship cinema in AMC's hometown. I hope a potential Alamo rebranding will only make it better and bring a bit of success to the bar area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

AMC's hometown has been kicked to the curb for Leawood and now China....they can rot.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:AMC's hometown has been kicked to the curb for Leawood and now China....they can rot.
Also, has anyone noticed that AMC only refers to their Leawood HQ as their "Support Center". They never use the term "headquarters". Even the signs out there say Support Center. I find that curious, but perhaps I'm making something out of nothing.
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Looks like it's going in the AMC Mainstreet space.
http://lostinreviews.com/2012/06/the-al ... nsas-city/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nice find....and frankly a welcome change given AMC's latest antics.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

curious paris on the plains reference and elsewhere, manifesto's owners mentioning a new jazz'cocktail bar coming downtown that they seemed to be involved in... wonder if this could be the same or if two new jazz joints are popping up.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Wasn't the Chesterfield Club the nightclub where the waitresses wore cellophane aprons? And nothing else.
This new vision for the Mainstreet also extends to the theater’s spacious interior bar which will reemerge as The Chesterfield Club. Resurrecting a slice of the city’s “Paris on the Plains” past with a Jazz Age atmosphere augmented by classic crafted cocktails, dancing, and live entertainment, the Chesterfield Club will be an entertainment venue all its own within the District.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

it's two separate jazz clubs.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I'm actually really excited for this. I only went to the AMC Mainstreet once...& while I thought it was nice I didn't think it was worth NEARLY that much for a ticket ( $17 each in this case - saw "Avengers" in 3-D there ). With the Drafthouse's more interesting programming I can see a reason to occasionally spend that kinda $$$.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema to take over Mainstreet space in downtown KC
The announcement said the six-screen multiplex, which includes several screening rooms with food and beverage service as well as a bar and lounge on the lower level, will continue to operate while “signature” Alamo touches are implemented.

They were described as ad-free custom preshows, ironclad no-talking/no texting policy and the elimination of the traditional front row for better viewing experience.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

At the Chesterfield Club the girls had their pubes trimmed to resemble playing cards---hearts, diamonds, spades and clubs.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

DiggityDawg wrote:I'm actually really excited for this. I only went to the AMC Mainstreet once...& while I thought it was nice I didn't think it was worth NEARLY that much for a ticket ( $17 each in this case - saw "Avengers" in 3-D there ). With the Drafthouse's more interesting programming I can see a reason to occasionally spend that kinda $$$.
The Austin theatres are showing Men in Black 3D for $15 reserved seat. So, it doesn't appear to be much cheaper than AMC.
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by DiggityDawg »

I was referring to the more specialized stuff they also show. THAT I'd be more likely to plunk down the extra $$$ for.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

From all indications, this is a major win for P+L, downtown, and the loop. Specialty, boutique theaters are not something AMC knows how to do and other than design-- there wasn't anything amazing happening at AMC Mainstreet. Putting in something unique that's a destination is the right way to go. It sounds like the Alamo Drafthouses in Austin have a stellar reputation.