GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote:
chaglang wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Where do I sign the Fire Rex Hudler petition?
That has to be the worst broadcast team in baseball. Hudler was awful. Too interested in his lingo to actually bring any insight to the game.
This series is the high water mark for Rex and the level of insight he provides. Once we leave Anaheim, he won't know anything about either team on the field, and it will be all-schtick, all the time. Going to be a long season.
LOL, that's what I was thinking too.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

I had not seen a broadcast with Hudler till yesterday. Let me just say it was AWFUL. This was a bad hire.

I also found Steve Physioc to be rather dull as well. Granted they are both are new to the team and maybe don't have the stories and insight that others might have.

Anyone who previously had an issue with Ryan and Frank are probably not having those issues now....
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yesterday was my first experience with Hudler and Physioc, too, and while I didn't completely hate Hudler, I have nothing but absolute loathing for Physioc. My god that man is annoying. He can just talk and talk and talk and talk about absolutely nothing of consequence while completely ignoring the game on the field. Hudler seems like on OK guy, kind of a jock's jock, but he has a weird sounding almost speech impediment, and a strange, Shatneresque delivery where he will start a thought, pause for entirely too long, then finish it.

I would give anything to have Frank and Ryan back. They were one of the best broadcast teams I've heard for any sport in any town.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

pash wrote:Well, there's the first debacle of the season.

This was te first game MLB Extra Innings had the Royals broadcast, so it was my first time hearing the new announcing crew. The color guy is awful, nothing but platitudes and repeating what Ryan said in some more convoluted phrasing. But there was only one color guy, wasn't there? Or were there two and I just wasn't able to distinguish their inanities?
I agree, that Hudler guy sucks balls.

And yes, that showing by Broxton was embarrassing.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

pash wrote:Well, there's the first debacle of the season.

This was te first game MLB Extra Innings had the Royals broadcast, so it was my first time hearing the new announcing crew. The color guy is awful, nothing but platitudes and repeating what Ryan said in some more convoluted phrasing. But there was only one color guy, wasn't there? Or were there two and I just wasn't able to distinguish their inanities?
Physioc called the game with Bob Davis on the radio today. He wasn't on the TV broadcast, I don't think. The game I saw, I think Ryan was in the radio booth and Physioc called the TV broadcast with Hudler (and Joel Goldberg, of course). It was an epic fail.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Broxton for President!
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Well, kudos to the rest of the bullpen. Herrera, Mijares, Holland and Collins all threw great. It's frustrating when you give the ball to your closer with a lead and the opponent wins the game without getting a hit.

I'll take 3-3 going into the home opener, but when you're within a couple of outs to going 4-2, it's heartaching...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCRoyal wrote:Well, kudos to the rest of the bullpen. Herrera, Mijares, Holland and Collins all threw great. It's frustrating when you give the ball to your closer with a lead and the opponent wins the game without getting a hit.

I'll take 3-3 going into the home opener, but when you're within a couple of outs to going 4-2, it's heartaching...
I think fans will grow tired of Yost's tactical decisions, or lack or decisions, before the ASG. I am not a fan. He is an old school guy with a new school roster. I doubt we would have ruined Broxton's confidence any more had we removed him prior to HBP #2 than we did by leaving him in to lose the game in epic fashion. For a coach who talks about the "eye test" all the time, and how you have to be an experienced guy like him to understand certain things, he sure doesn't seem to agree that you take a guy out if he can't find the plate in a clutch situation in extra innings.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

bobbyhawks wrote:
KCRoyal wrote:Well, kudos to the rest of the bullpen. Herrera, Mijares, Holland and Collins all threw great. It's frustrating when you give the ball to your closer with a lead and the opponent wins the game without getting a hit.

I think fans will grow tired of Yost's tactical decisions, or lack or decisions, before the ASG. I am not a fan. He is an old school guy with a new school roster. I doubt we would have ruined Broxton's confidence any more had we removed him prior to HBP #2 than we did by leaving him in to lose the game in epic fashion. For a coach who talks about the "eye test" all the time, and how you have to be an experienced guy like him to understand certain things, he sure doesn't seem to agree that you take a guy out if he can't find the plate in a clutch situation in extra innings.
This. It is maddening that managers hate managing. They just like pressing buttons. "Well my seventh inning guy must go in the seventh inning, my setup man must go in the 8th inning, and my closer goes in the ninth. NO DEVIATION! Bleep, blorp, manager-bot has spoken!"

On the plus side, a 3-3 road trip is pretty good, the offense is starting slowly, but you see some good signs from Hos and Butler, Gordon may have broken out of his slump, and Cain is still contributing with his glove even if he isn't hitting. The starting pitching is better than expected thus far (although Oakland has a really crummy lineup). Just hoping this team can hang around .500 for most of the year and hopefully we can get some more pitching later in the year either through the minors or through trade.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:It is maddening that managers hate managing. They just like pressing buttons. "Well my seventh inning guy must go in the seventh inning, my setup man must go in the 8th inning, and my closer goes in the ninth. NO DEVIATION! Bleep, blorp, manager-bot has spoken!"
I almost spit my drink on my keyboard! Ned Yost is a Dalek.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ned Yost is why I have a difficult time seeing the Royals win more than 70ish games. That really irritates me because we have the kind of team capable of winning games SO LONG AS the coaching is good. In other words, the talent level of this team can't overcome bad coaching decisions.

Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

AllThingsKC wrote:Image
UGH. Thanks for that GIF, now I'm aggrevated...... :evil:
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

lol PALM UP GETZ!

btw, Cain was placed on the DL today with a groin sprain. Jarrod Dyson will be recalled from Omaha in time for tomorrow's game.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Opening Day lineup is out and Yost has lost his mind...

Dyson CF
Francoeur RF
Hosmer 1B
Butler DH
Gordon LF
Betancourt SS
Moustakas 3B
Quintero C
Escobar SS

I can somewhat understand moving Gordon to a more run producing spot, even though he seemed to thrive batting leadoff, but why, why start Dyson? Not only start, but batting him leadoff? Who knows, he might be a key figure for the game today, but I don't see his bat ever becoming major league average...
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCRoyal wrote:Opening Day lineup is out and Yost has lost his mind...

Dyson CF
Francoeur RF
Hosmer 1B
Butler DH
Gordon LF
Betancourt SS
Moustakas 3B
Quintero C
Escobar SS

I can somewhat understand moving Gordon to a more run producing spot, even though he seemed to thrive batting leadoff, but why, why start Dyson? Not only start, but batting him leadoff? Who knows, he might be a key figure for the game today, but I don't see his bat ever becoming major league average...
I guess one way to look at it is that after the first AB, it will essentially be the same as having Frenchy leadoff and Dyson bat 9th. This is just another example of why Ned Yost is out of touch. This move could work well for a single day, but his desire to fit prototypical guys into historical lineup rolls is a major hindrance. If I were starting the same players, my lineup would be Frenchy, Gordon, Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas, Quintero, Yuni, Escobar, Dyson.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bobbyhawks wrote:If I were starting the same players, my lineup would be Frenchy, Gordon, Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas, Quintero, Yuni, Escobar, Dyson.
But, Frenchy has a terrible on base percentage/walk rate. Personally, I hate having Dyson on the team for anything other than a pitch runner. Put, Mitch Maier in there as the leadoff. I have seen him work more counts and battle for a walk than anyone else on the team. He has above average speed and a little pop. He would have a great leadoff hitter.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

beautyfromashes wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:If I were starting the same players, my lineup would be Frenchy, Gordon, Butler, Hosmer, Moustakas, Quintero, Yuni, Escobar, Dyson.
But, Frenchy has a terrible on base percentage/walk rate. Personally, I hate having Dyson on the team for anything other than a pitch runner. Put, Mitch Maier in there as the leadoff. I have seen him work more counts and battle for a walk than anyone else on the team. He has above average speed and a little pop. He would have a great leadoff hitter.
Frenchy is 4th based on the 2011 OBP of current starters. Above him are Gordon (#1), Butler (#2), and Hosmer (#3). So, unless you are going to leadoff with one of those guys, Frenchy is the best option by OBP. I'm not a huge fan of Frenchy as a player, but if you are playing Dyson, I don't think you have another option outside of Gordon (who also led the team in SLG% last season).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

bobbyhawks wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:
Frenchy is 4th based on the 2011 OBP of current starters. Above him are Gordon (#1), Butler (#2), and Hosmer (#3). So, unless you are going to leadoff with one of those guys, Frenchy is the best option by OBP. I'm not a huge fan of Frenchy as a player, but if you are playing Dyson, I don't think you have another option outside of Gordon (who also led the team in SLG% last season).
Gordon is ice cold an probably needs a little pressure off for a few days.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

bobbyhawks wrote: Frenchy is 4th based on the 2011 OBP of current starters. Above him are Gordon (#1), Butler (#2), and Hosmer (#3). So, unless you are going to leadoff with one of those guys, Frenchy is the best option by OBP. I'm not a huge fan of Frenchy as a player, but if you are playing Dyson, I don't think you have another option outside of Gordon (who also led the team in SLG% last season).
Maier is 3rd for last year with a .345 OBP. Granted, it is in a small sample size but I think if he was given more playing time it might even be better. I agree though, Butler and Hosmer have to be in the middle of your lineup. So, if it's not Gordon and you're playing Dyson then he is the best option. I do like Frenchy hitting 2nd. He has developed some plate discipline and (not forgetting the dumb pickoff at 2nd base earlier this year) seems smart on the basepath. I just really, really do not like Dyson as an everyday player.