Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
smh
Supporter

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by smh »

KC-wildcat wrote:Thirsty's was named... Thirsty's.

If that's not just the lamest name for a bar. It's like the name of a 40s-something sports bar in an Olathe stripmall.
Also it had "Cantina" in the name. Always the sure sign of a good time.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

The area licensee for Le Peep restaurant has closed his Prairie Village location after 14 months. He blamed the economy for the restaurant never meeting sales expectations. He plans to concentrate on his locations in Lenexa and Overland Park. Big Biscuit might replace it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCPowercat wrote:thirstys is closed just didn't know if it was for good. Heard two different stories.
The River Market Community Association is promoting Thirsty's today on its Facebook page.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCMax wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:thirstys is closed just didn't know if it was for good. Heard two different stories.
The River Market Community Association is promoting Thirsty's today on its Facebook page.
hilarious. they're really on top of their advertising.

Joyce says a new concept is opening there in about a month that will be hockey themed. glad to see its not just going to sit empty.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Didn't they have a Zamboni, or whatever it's called, in one of its most recent incarnations?
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

• In hockey, a red light flashes behind a goal when a team scores. But when the light flashes at The Blue Line, patrons will get special prices on shots for several minutes.

A father and son plan to open the hockey-theme sports bar in the River Market, 529 Walnut St., former home of Thirsty’s Cantina. It is to open in about 30 to 45 days.

The Blue Line will feature an outside smoker for barbecue. A game room will include air hockey and darts.

Thirsty’s Cantina recently closed in the River Market space after nearly two years in the district. The owners could not be reached for comment.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/01/09/33 ... rylink=cpy
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Both Burrito Joe's on 39th/Terrace and Mr Goodcents on 31st/Main are closed.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

burrito joe's didn't last long, but that doesn't come as a big surprise considering the name...
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The food was pretty good, but the service was almost "am I on Candid Camera?" bad.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

heatherkay wrote:The food was pretty good, but the service was almost "am I on Candid Camera?" bad.
I went a few days after they opened and swore I'd never go back. They used store-bought tortillas for the burrito, the chicken tasted like it came from a can, then added cheese on top, microwaved it and served on a styrofoam plate with plastic fork (no knife). Also experienced the poor service.

I live two blocks away and would frequent just about anything that was somewhat decent (unless it's another asian or middle eastern resto, which I'm tired of on 39th). A GOOD mexican or italian place would kill in that spot. Or some place like Wheatfields in Lawrence. Or an upscale neighborhood market/liquor store like Eatsies in Dallas. I can't take another poorly planned half-assed attempts in that spot.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We were there for breakfast a couple of days after they opened and they has homemade tortillas and beans that tasted like Grandma was in the kitchen. It was exciting. But we never got to eat there again because we could never eve get someone to wait on us the two other times we were there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

C. Withers on 36th and Broadway is closed. I must admit I never heard of em.

http://www.pitch.com/fatcity/archives/2 ... d-catering
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

KCMax wrote:C. Withers on 36th and Broadway is closed. I must admit I never heard of em.

He was at Bannister Mall right before it closed

http://www.labelscar.com/missouri/bannister-mall
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KCMax wrote:C. Withers on 36th and Broadway is closed. I must admit I never heard of em.

Too bad, that place was pretty good, but I only went once or twice.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Mix in P&L gone? Rumor?
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

C Withers closing makes me really sad. It was good stuff and he's a super nice guy.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

" Mix in P&L gone? Rumor?"

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. They were barely open.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Too bad. I used to go relatively regularly for lunch. Had a good $3 lunch deal the last year. Never really had their act together, though. Place was kind of a mess and the menu wasn't great.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCPowercat wrote:" Mix in P&L gone? Rumor?"

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. They were barely open.
That would only shock me because their M-F lunch business is normally full of people, and one would think they would make at least a tiny effort to have normal hours if the numbers weren't sufficient. I don't have an understanding of the restaurant biz, but I would think that it would be a better investment to pay staff for better hours and fold a month earlier (if that doesn't fix things) than it would to see yourself drown in rent from many months away without changing anything.

This entire "living room" area has not been well managed by Cordish. I'm sure the Whopper Bar is fine for what it is (though it never looks busy), but they have some cafe nobody has ever heard about, an empty space where the Ghengis Grill used to be, an empty space where the frozen yogurt spot used to be, and empty spaces in the ground floors of the H&R Bloch building that have never been filled. This area can't survive off Chipotle alone. Any sort of cool, outdoor, public-space vibe they were shooting for has not worked.

This also leads us to other questions about why we have not heard of any announcement for spaces such as the old Raglan Road, the giant empty space across the street from Raglan Road, the old Peachtree, the old Famous Dave's, all of the empty spaces in the complex West of Main. The Plaza has landed a number of restaurants lately, and they are a nice mix of national and local chains. Westport has attracted a few more local restauranteurs as well. Meanwhile, I've heard rumor after rumor that people are negotiating for spaces in the P&L, but deals never seem to get done. What is their big announcement lately... Bar Louie? Drunken Fish? Is it easier to con St. Louis businesses into bad deals, or is Cordish unfairly shunned by KC folks?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good questions. Maybe should be posted in p&l section?

Balsanos is hardly an unheard of place. It was very popular on the plaza. I agree this area has underwhelmed.