zocalo

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

zocalo

Post by DaveKCMO »

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: zocalo

Post by chrizow »

just stopped in for lunch. food was decent but overpriced - $10 for two small, street-style tacos and a small quantity of beans and rice. the carnitas taco was good, the barbacoa taco was just ok. the "salsa trio" (which is a way for you to pay $6 for chips and salsa) was fine - the three salsas were good, but nothing special. the rice on the side of the tacos was buttery and good, and the beans were "soupy" and good. the food was about on par with esquina in lawrence, not as good as port fonda.

they are definitely working out some kinks with service - it seemed that two servers believed our table was theirs. we had an issue with unclean dishes and a glass with lipstick residue on it. but service was pleasant and aimed to please.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

We went there last week for happy hour. It’s amazing what they did with the space. For all you MiCocina fans, it is complete different. They did a great job with both patios; even the one in the “alley” looks fine. And I liked how the garage doors were the folding type off to the side and not the overhead doors that clutter the inside. Food wise we just had appetizers but they were good. I had the bacon wrapped jalapeños and my wife had the guacamole dip. The food we saw around us all looked very tasty as well. We had dinner plans that night otherwise we would have dined there. I will say Nancy did not care for the margaritas. Evidently, the addition of lemons to the margarita is something Nancy did not care for. She had the happy hour one for $3.50, can’t really complain about that, but then moved up to the platinum for $10.50 which was made with Patron and Grand Marnier. We were really disappointed when it showed up as yellow as could be. We will go back for the food, but Nancy will have something other than a Margarita. Some mixologist/bartenders tell us never use tequila with lemons and others said it’s all citrus so what’s the difference, so that must be a matter of individual taste.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

cknab1 wrote:Some mixologist/bartenders tell us never use tequila with lemons and others said it’s all citrus so what’s the difference, so that must be a matter of individual taste.
I've also been told to be weary of people trying to pass off Patron as a selling point for a drink. It definitely does not have close to the complexity that some equivalently priced tequilas have and is really a ripoff in relation to a number of other cheaper brands.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Two rules for a Margarita: Always use lime, and never use Patron.

Patron is an example of a mass produced product that is meant to capture the audience used to "smooth" or neutral Vodkas. It has little flavor and hardly even resembles a Tequila, let alone a good one.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

So what would you recommend as a reasonably priced quality tequilla?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

We use Milagro as our "house" Tequila. The whole line is good, and it's reasonably priced. A couple other really good brands that aren't available in KC yet are Partida and Siete Leguas. Hopefully they'll be available soon.

For a little higher end, I prefer Don Julio.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'll never go to El Patron again. #-o
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

KC Sporting Life wrote:We use Milagro as our "house" Tequila. The whole line is good, and it's reasonably priced.
Funny, I didn't know this, their branding always seemed a little goofy to me. We'd had a bottle in our bar for a year at least, finally opened it a couple weeks ago and was really pleasantly surprised. Definitely a good, flavorful tequila, even to sip, for my taste.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

My husband and I checked out Zocalo last Saturday after spending a little time at waterfire. I have to say, I was impressed. The space looks great, and the staff was very friendly and eager to please. The food struck me as a bit overpriced, but was fantastic and we both really enjoyed it. Great tequila selection and a fun drink list. I liked it so much I called this morning about reserving their semi-private room for a client holiday dinner in December. Thumbs up I look forward to going back.

=D>