2011 Chiefs

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2011 Chiefs

Post by KCMax »

Fire everyone and burn Arrowhead to the ground.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It was a little embarassing how many empty seats there were at the game. As bad as some games were last season, I don't remember any being this empty, and this was opening day. It may have a lot to do with late start on ticket sales due to the lockout, but there is no way we don't have to black out some games this year (and probably not too far off) if we continue to suck. I have to blame myself, though, since I have little intention to go to many games this year.

As for the game, I couldn't decide who played worse, our offense or our defense. Berry was a big loss, but one player shouldn't make or break your defense. Players were wide open with soft coverage, and the D-line was manhandled most of the time. That all said, our offense couldn't stay on the field or keep the ball. We waited until the 3rd quarter to give the ball to our best player (Charles had a predictably great yards per carry anyway). Such a shame to come out that way since we will have to win two or three games in a row now for anyone in KC to get excited about the Chiefs. This could be a rough year.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

0-16... come on, we can do it! Just gotta believe...
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tickets were available for $6 when I looked on stubhub. Only 68k announced attendance. There was one blackout in the NFL (Tampa Bay, coming off a ten win season). And Jacksonville and San Diego had to get extensions to avoid a blackout. The Redskins took out 10,000 seats from their stadium because they were having such a tough time selling out.

What few seem to be writing about is that the NFL has had three straight years of attendance declines, and it will likely decline again this year. Meanwhile TV ratings are exploding. And why not? At home I can watch multiple games in HD, with cheap beer and snacks, in the comfort of my home with access to replays and stats, and it doesn't cost me $27 to park my car in my garage. I don't know if this is a problem for the NFL or not since TV seems to pay most of the bills, but eventually the stadium atmosphere will be hurt if people aren't showing up.

As for the game, I don't know if there was a single good thing anyone can say about it. Not only did they look bad, they looked unprepared. I've been a Haley and Pioli defender for awhile, but that was pretty unacceptable and they deserve all the blame.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I'd be shocked if NFL attendance didn't decline again. There's better food and cheaper beer at my house, and for that matter, I'm starting to feel a bit old to start drinking before noon on Sunday.

And again, yeah. That game was a joke. If they don't get better fast, the training camp debacle is going to make Haley look really stupid. I wouldn't be surprised if it cost him his job.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

It is interesting, because I feel like perhaps the most important thing propelling the game forward as America's new pastime is fantasy football. It got people (and me) interested in other teams when they used to not care one lick about a team that was not their own. At the same time, fantasy football coupled with cheap high quality home theaters and expensive trips to games has made it more exciting than ever to watch the game at a bar with NFL Sunday Ticket or to stick around home with the laptop or tablet watching your stats tick up. I'm not sure it is totally the Chiefs fault, but it would be in their best interests to offer better packages up front than to have StubHub constantly full of dirt cheap tickets. There is no incentive to buy in advance when you can always pick them up at the last minute.

Also, NFL lust for TV revenue has made these games sometimes unbearably long. 3.5 hours for the game, 2+ hours of sitting in a car, however long you tailgate, and when you get inside, you probably spend 45 minutes of that 3.5 hours watching players stand at the line of scrimmage with hands on hips waiting for commercial breaks. Even close games on TV can be excruciating to watch. It is no wonder people opt for watching at home. When the Chiefs lay an egg, you can flip over to a better game, or to rugby, or a movie, etc.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Well, at least there the Chiefs are doing their part to make sure games are over at halftime, so fans can leave early and check out other games and fantasy football stats.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

mean wrote:0-16... come on, we can do it! Just gotta believe...
As I look at the schedule, that's completely possible. I think they will at least a few games (I hope). But, 0-16 isn't out of the picture with they way they played and their schedule.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AllThingsKC wrote:
As I look at the schedule, that's completely possible. I think they will at least a few games (I hope). But, 0-16 isn't out of the picture with they way they played and their schedule.
Fortunately, they get to play the Colts this season!
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

KCMax wrote:
AllThingsKC wrote:
Fortunately, they get to play the Colts this season!
Many people were saying that about the Bills game too lol.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

How much are they missing Charlie Weis? The offense has been terrible since he announced he was leaving. Granted the defense didn't play well either, but that was a lot of "three and outs."
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AllThingsKC wrote:
Well, I do think they will get better. Better enough to beat the Chargers, Patriots, Bears, Steelers, Vikings, Jets, or Packers? :lol:

It'll take a miracle.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Eric Berry has a torn ACL and is out for the year. SUPER BOWL!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

So, Moeaki and Berry both out for the year? Gotta love that conditioning program.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote:So, Moeaki and Berry both out for the year? Gotta love that conditioning program.
Now Jamaal Charles out for the year. What did they do all summer? Eat frozen yogurt?

I'm usually pretty patient and forgiving, but its already time to fire Haley.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... dle_091911
3) I believe that if Pioli fires Haley, he’ll try to hire his old New England colleague Josh McDaniels, he of the disastrous tenure as Broncos head coach that included dubious personnel moves too numerous to mention, a cheating scandal and five victories in his final 22 games. When McDaniels, currently the Rams’ offensive coordinator, becomes K.C.’s next head coach, count on two things: I’ll remind you that you heard it here first and you’re going to be treated to a real diatribe.
Not a real fan of McDaniels - he seems very similar to Haley. But I do predict Haley gets canned before the end of the year. Rumors are he and Pioli don't get along at all and when the team is losing this bad, you need a scapegoat.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMax wrote: and when the team is losing this bad, you need a scapegoat.
Maybe Hunt gets rid of Pioli.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
KCMax wrote: and when the team is losing this bad, you need a scapegoat.
Maybe Hunt gets rid of Pioli.
I can't see that. Pioli had a pretty good reputation from a great organization. Haley is really the best Pioli could do once all the good coaching candidates had been taken (remember he wouldn't fire Herm immediately, and guys like Jim Schwartz got snatched up by the Lions and other teams). I think the team will also take the long view that Pioli is building towards something long-term. Haley I don't think gets that long leash because in the interim, the team has looked like garbage aside from the first fourteen games of the 2010 season.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'd love to see Jeff Fisher as our coach next year. And Andrew Luck at QB. With a healthy Charles, Berry and Moeaki back - maybe they can compete. They should be getting an 0-16 schedule to deal with for 2012.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Good call on Fisher. Forgot about him. Always loved his style.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Is Cowher ready to jump back in?