KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Transportation topics in KC
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: KCMO Downtown Streetcar

Post by chingon »

DaveKCMO wrote:
ideally, the line would not run on 8th/9th/11th/12th/16th at all and simply continue straight to its current river market terminus. i imagine this would reduce travel time from RM to plaza by 10 minutes?
I know door to door is a pretty important ideal, but if the streetcar gets built, I think the ATA should make US the destination for the MAX and Troost BRT routes, then run the N. Oak, Indep Ave and State BRT to the RM terminus.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon wrote: I know door to door is a pretty important ideal, but if the streetcar gets built, I think the ATA should make US the destination for the MAX and Troost BRT routes, then run the N. Oak, Indep Ave and State BRT to the RM terminus.
highest job density is in the loop and probably always will be, relative to RM and US/CC. moving MAX to run on grand also gives additional boost to a true bus-only lane there as part of the complete street project. grand through downtown carries more bus routes than any other street (17 by my count). a consultant the other day said 40 buses per hour at peak.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I was wondering when this would happen...

@bradc25: Power & Light District and Sprint Center officials have isssues with running KC streetcar on Grand and

@bradc25: P&L District says routing streetcar on Grand, Main or Walnut would be "disastrous." City says streetcars will have positive impact.

Ridiculous.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

time for a boycott.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

pash wrote: :roll:
I find no logic in the Cordish statement. I think having a streetcar line stop right outside McFadden’s, et al, could only be good for those establishments. It’s a safe way of getting plowed on Jagerbombs and then having a safe ride home. Or at least to Crown Center. How you get back to Johnson County from there, I don’t know. 
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Proposed Downtown Street Car on Display Tuesday at Union Station

Post by tella100 »

The proposed street car for the short River Market to Downtown route will be on display at Union Station tomorrow from 7 to 7. 

Interesting article discussing the Main vs Grand debate as well.

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/08/21/30 ... ntown.html
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

How easily do these new street cars traverse steel plates?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Proposed Downtown Street Car on Display Tuesday at Union Station

Post by DaveKCMO »

detailed schedule of tuesday's events is here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pash wrote:
Cordish Co. officials said then that a rail line would disrupt pedestrian access across Grand between the entertainment district and the Sprint Center and complicate access to an underground parking garage.
Yes, its transit that disrupts pedestrian access.   :roll:
?We have seen firsthand the damage that can cause to streetfront businesses both during construction and afterward in other cities around the country,? Benjamin said.
Yea, we saw it firsthand when we were building your nice little entertainment district.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lol good point max.

I've got a letter spun up but am holding back on sending it...see if cordish can redeem themselves.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

But black people ride public transit.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i left messages on the facebook pages for sprint center and P+L asking why they oppose something downtown residents clearly want...
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Proposed Downtown Street Car on Display Tuesday at Union Station

Post by knucklehead »

I don't get why Cordish and AIG are concerned about running the street cars on Grand.

If that is a big problem I wonder if the streetcars route could be diverted over to the McGee/Oak side of Sprint Center and back to Grand on the north side of Sprint Center.

There isn't much on the McGee/Oak side now.  
Last edited by knucklehead on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

DaveKCMO wrote: i left messages on the facebook pages for sprint center and P+L asking why they oppose something downtown residents clearly want...
Not only residents, I would (as a downtown worker), take the street car instead of drive to Crown Center over lunch, etc.  It also gives those that work on opposite ends to be able to hop on and do lunch or whatever along the way. Love it!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I imagine Cordish's angst is surrounding the fact that it will give visitors who would otherwise likely be confined to getting drunk in P&L's nightlife mall a safe, convenient, and desirable connection to other places where they can spend money.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: I imagine Cordish's angst is surrounding the fact that it will give visitors who would otherwise likely be confined to getting drunk in P&L's nightlife mall a safe, convenient, and desirable connection to other places where they can spend money.
I think you are on the right track.  My guess is that they are afraid that their nice 2$ per spot garage becomes the parking area for anyplace along the streetcar route.  That and the fact that they lose their captive audience as you suggest. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Highlander wrote: I think you are on the right track.  My guess is that they are afraid that their nice 2$ per spot garage becomes the parking area for anyplace along the streetcar route. 
Ah, yeah, I was thinking in the opposite direction, since you can park in Crown Center's garage free on weekends.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

you'd think they would see the opportunity to bring folks from the crown center hotels up to the district.  people who might rather hail a streetcar than a taxi or bus.  the streetcar just adds activity to the district, there is no reason at all to believe that it will siphon customers away from the P+L.  extremely short-sighted opposition from cordish.