Livestrong Sporting Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Livestrong Sporting Park

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bobbyhawks wrote: I am bitter about the location (wasn't a fan of Bannister either), and that is probably just as annoying to those who love it as it would be to me if people from OP complained about a downtown stadium.  There is little appeal to me in the surrounding "development."  Cabela's, NFM, and Target aren't exactly trips I tie together with sporting events.  And I'm not really an Applebea's/Ruby/Chili's/Famous Dave's/etc. type of guy.  
Have you ever been to the new cowboys stadium?  It's pretty much the same setup, it's by a walmart and all kind of other chain and strip malls

At least at a Mavericks and Stars came you can take the light rail or the TRE
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Have you ever been to the new cowboys stadium?  It's pretty much the same setup, it's by a walmart and all kind of other chain and strip malls

At least at a Mavericks and Stars came you can take the light rail or the TRE
I am completely on board with an NFL stadium being in a wide open area.  I wouldn't trade Arrowhead's location at all.  That is 8 games a year, where the entire point of the day is to camp out near the stadium and near other tailgaters.  Baseball, which is 81 games a year, is a long game that requires easy access to night games, surrounding nightlife due to tailgating not really being that big of a deal, and is as much about being in a great outdoor environment as it is about the game (for a lot of folks).  Hockey and NBA also put a lot of games on the schedule, and I think they work best in a downtown environment.  Also, soccer can throw 40+ events a year on the schedule, and since the games are much quicker than other games, it makes sense to centrally locate a stadium, and in the traditional sense, put it near bars and restaurants in a core city area.  This helps to create the neighborhood and community supporter feel that is present in nearly every European stadium.  So, we bring in players because they have played in Europe or are from Europe, we rename our team to sound more European, we design a stadium in a modern Europen manner, call our bars "pubs," call the grass the "pitch," and develop a Euro modeled membership program, yet we place our stadium on the highway next to a hunting and fishing outlet store?  I'm all for adding American flair to the game, and I actually go to Cabela's every now and then, but why does that location make sense when all of our other moves have been in part to achieve a European legitimacy?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

The parking passes have exact instructions on how to get to your specific lot. I found it to be pretty easy to figure out.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Elite Sports opening on Tuesday in Olathe East Wal-mart where Hearing Aid use to be but won't sell local Teams but like Steelers,Blues,Magic,Thunder,Sooners,Broncos and so on. Maybe Sporting Kc,Cammond and so on.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

So say I eat at one of the legends fabulous restaurants prior to the match...can i stay parked at the legends or do I risk being towed. Damn I hate driving to crap.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: So say I eat at one of the legends fabulous restaurants prior to the match...can i stay parked at the legends or do I risk being towed. Damn I hate driving to crap.
I struggle with this too. I really don't know how they'd know the difference. I'm a season ticket holder, so I have reserved parking, but if I actually want to go somewhere first, it is a disaster moving. Really unfortunate consequence of the location, and you can tell they are trying to get people to support VW establishments by giving discounts and making announcements at the stadium. Well, don't design your shopping districts by 1980's standards then.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We ended up moving our vehicles and wish we hadn't because it appears many don't.....btw anybody that bitches at me about parking downtown 3 blocks away from P&L?  LOL. 

If you are going to build stadiums next to food, probably shouldn't threaten customers with being towed...typical suburb thinking.  Zero coordination. 

When does the last 101 bus come back downtown?  I'd much rather do that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Will be showing The Cool TV on the big screen.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Finally got to check out a game at Livestrong. Really a fantastic stadium. We had a great time. The sightlines are great, and despite a bit of a sparse crowd, the stadium is LOUD! Really felt a lot more vibrant and energetic than many Chiefs games I've been to. The game was very exciting too. I really appreciate the aggressive style of play from SKC. It was the kind of game that refutes any kind of notion of soccer being "boring", there was either a scoring opportunity or skirmish seemingly every minute of the game. Consider me and my son soccer fans.

I will also say this. I am probably one of the bigger Legends/VW defenders on here. And I was probably agnostic about whether the soccer stadium should be here. Well I can easily say it was a HUGE mistake. FWIW, it also would have been a huge mistake at Bannister Mall too. The future of the MLS is in young urban professionals. Soccer in this country is the "cool" niche urban sport. I don't get the MLS move to soccer stadiums in the suburbs. If they are chasing the soccer moms, it is a losing battle. Soccer moms like watching their kids play soccer, but they'll only bring their kids to games once in awhile. You need a strong core of fans, and those are going to be young people. Tickets are cheap enough they can go to games, and the games are exciting "place to be" kinda events that appeal to both genders. But you're not going to get as many of these kind of fans if they have to drive 15 minutes away to a strip mall in the suburbs. Look at the huge success of the Seattle Sounders. Those fans are young 20-somethings, not 40 year old soccer parents with their kids. KC needed to develop that kind of fan base and it would have if the stadium was in the West Bottoms or on the river, but it will be hard to do so in sterile suburban KCK.

My two cents.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

KCMax wrote:Finally got to check out a game at Livestrong. Really a fantastic stadium. We had a great time. The sightlines are great, and despite a bit of a sparse crowd, the stadium is LOUD! Really felt a lot more vibrant and energetic than many Chiefs games I've been to. The game was very exciting too. I really appreciate the aggressive style of play from SKC. It was the kind of game that refutes any kind of notion of soccer being "boring", there was either a scoring opportunity or skirmish seemingly every minute of the game. Consider me and my son soccer fans.

I will also say this. I am probably one of the bigger Legends/VW defenders on here. And I was probably agnostic about whether the soccer stadium should be here. Well I can easily say it was a HUGE mistake. FWIW, it also would have been a huge mistake at Bannister Mall too. The future of the MLS is in young urban professionals. Soccer in this country is the "cool" niche urban sport. I don't get the MLS move to soccer stadiums in the suburbs. If they are chasing the soccer moms, it is a losing battle. Soccer moms like watching their kids play soccer, but they'll only bring their kids to games once in awhile. You need a strong core of fans, and those are going to be young people. Tickets are cheap enough they can go to games, and the games are exciting "place to be" kinda events that appeal to both genders. But you're not going to get as many of these kind of fans if they have to drive 15 minutes away to a strip mall in the suburbs. Look at the huge success of the Seattle Sounders. Those fans are young 20-somethings, not 40 year old soccer parents with their kids. KC needed to develop that kind of fan base and it would have if the stadium was in the West Bottoms or on the river, but it will be hard to do so in sterile suburban KCK.

My two cents.
I'm not sure that you could say it any better. Well stated.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

pash wrote:Just another in a long line of poor choices in locating this city's amenities. With luck, we'll have the opportunity to correct the mistake in thirty years.
The good thing about soccer in the US from a relocating standpoint is that it is quite possible we are revisiting this in 10 years. If the MLS continues to climb in popularity, 18.5k and big games in Arrowhead may not be close to sufficient. Unless they can tack 20k extra seats to Livestrong, it is possible that demand creates a need for a replacement stadium before deterioration does. In that event, Village West will have two great minor league stadiums, and perhaps a dedicated home for a rugby team or something. Also, KC would be quite the attractive choice for major soccor tournaments. We can always dream.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KCMax wrote: I will also say this. I am probably one of the bigger Legends/VW defenders on here. And I was probably agnostic about whether the soccer stadium should be here. Well I can easily say it was a HUGE mistake. FWIW, it also would have been a huge mistake at Bannister Mall too. The future of the MLS is in young urban professionals. Soccer in this country is the "cool" niche urban sport. I don't get the MLS move to soccer stadiums in the suburbs. If they are chasing the soccer moms, it is a losing battle. Soccer moms like watching their kids play soccer, but they'll only bring their kids to games once in awhile. You need a strong core of fans, and those are going to be young people. Tickets are cheap enough they can go to games, and the games are exciting "place to be" kinda events that appeal to both genders. But you're not going to get as many of these kind of fans if they have to drive 15 minutes away to a strip mall in the suburbs. Look at the huge success of the Seattle Sounders. Those fans are young 20-somethings, not 40 year old soccer parents with their kids. KC needed to develop that kind of fan base and it would have if the stadium was in the West Bottoms or on the river, but it will be hard to do so in sterile suburban KCK.

My two cents.
I was thinking this exact thing the other day when I was in Berkley Park. I'm not a fanatic but definitely a soccer fan and I know for a fact that I would have been to at least a few games by now if it was anywhere near downtown. However, I haven't been to any yet. The riverfront would have been an amazing place for the stadium (especially if paired with Cerner). Can't you imagine tailgating in Berkley all day?

Aside from who the sport appeals to, just look at population base. Within 10 miles of LSP is 200,000 people. Within 10 miles of the riverfront is 660,000. Nobody and definitely not young professionals want to drive to hell and back for a soccer game unless the product is spectacular.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Nobody and definitely not young professionals want to drive to hell and back for a soccer game unless the product is spectacular.
Which, luckily for them, the product has been spectacular thus far. But wow, Berkley would be an awesome stadium setting.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

But they'll drive to hell and back for a couch?

RM would be a cool spot for a stadium. Perfect for the young professional demographic. I think though that the ownership group is using families as the demographic foundation and young professional as the excitement, community builders. They don't seem to be having a problem with that yet.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

coreyo wrote:But they'll drive to hell and back for a couch?
I only occasionally get drunk when couch shopping, so the drive is only occasionally a problem when I am shopping for an occasional.&
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Livestrong Sporting Park will host 2012 Olympic soccer qualifier
The eight-nation tournament begins March 22. The tournament heads to Kansas City on March 31 for the semifinals and the April 2 championship match.
The winners of each semifinal match will advance to the 2012 Olympic Games in London in the summer, representing nations from the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Livestrong Park will host the 2013 and 2014 Big 12 soccer tourneys.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Was at the facility last night for the Olympic qualifying soccer games. Great facility. Got a question though. How competitive are the concession prices compared to the other entertainment facilities in the area? $8plus for a 16 ounce beer? Don't remember that high of a price at Starlight last year.
WyCo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by WyCo »

Just a couple of points (well ok a few), I am sure they would have loved to build it downtown if Missouri would have offered them the same money that Kansas did. Also, gosh I hate to tell you guys this, but all young professionals do not live downtown or for that matter even in Missouri. As far as I can tell Legends doesn't care if you park there for a game. The other Village West tenants are not so forgiving. I can understand the restaurants, but the Target lot, good God that thing is never full and if I stop in there to buy something first or even after the games, I feel like I can park there as long as I want. Maybe it was the tailgating from the T-Bones game that brought that all on. Last thing, when was the last time you bought a beer at a sporting event or even a big concert, prices are right in line.