They never passed that legislation.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Re: trader joe's.

Post by moosnsqrl »

With the rampant social conservatism in Topeka today, I have a really hard time imagining this happening. Unless the smokescreen of abortion, faith-based initiatives, saving the sanctity of marriage, etc. confuses them too much and they don't realize what it is they are voting on. That's entirely possible.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

Since I bagged-on TJ's midwest locations, I thought it only fair to say that I stopped by the Ward Parkway store today and it  far exceeded my expectations. I still don't consider it a destination but have to admit they put in a more 'robust' store than some of the others I've seen between the coasts.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Went today, totally ridiculous, I'll try again in a year, or maybe 30 minutes before closing time.  What a cluster.  There is nothing I could want that would make me wait through that!
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

grovester wrote: Went today, totally ridiculous, I'll try again in a year, or maybe 30 minutes before closing time.  What a cluster.  There is nothing I could want that would make me wait through that!
Ha, we also went today and had the exact same experience. I wanted to get some Simpler Times beer (it isn't good, but I enjoy the novelty of it) but no way I was going to wait in those lines. It was complete chaos. I have a feeling the Ward Parkway store will be like that for quite a while since the Leawood location doesn't sell alcohol.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

I wonder what other TJ locations around the nation are in prohibition era like the Leawood store.  To me its kind of embarrassing...
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

supastudio wrote: I wonder what other TJ locations around the nation are in prohibition era like the Leawood store.  To me its kind of embarrassing...
Lots of Southern and Eastern states have liquor laws just as bad.  I'm sure Leawood is no worse than Philadelphia in this respect.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, Philly is a joke. Same with Atlanta.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Lots of states make you buy alcohol only in state-owned stores - I don't think Kansas is bad, especially if you can just open a separate liquor store next to your business (like the World Market in Lawrence).
smh wrote: I wanted to get some Simpler Times beer (it isn't good, but I enjoy the novelty of it) but no way I was going to wait in those lines.
This totally makes me laugh!

I've been waiting to go, but just driving by and seeing the parking lot packed makes me cringe - I hate that parking lot even before TJ's opened.  A friend of mine went last week and said it looked like many stores before a blizzard or hurricane with complete sections of shelves completely empty.  Anyone else experience that?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

kcjak wrote: Lots of states make you buy alcohol only in state-owned stores - I don't think Kansas is bad, especially if you can just open a separate liquor store next to your business (like the World Market in Lawrence).This totally makes me laugh!

I've been waiting to go, but just driving by and seeing the parking lot packed makes me cringe - I hate that parking lot even before TJ's opened.  A friend of mine went last week and said it looked like many stores before a blizzard or hurricane with complete sections of shelves completely empty.  Anyone else experience that?
Yes, that’s exactly what it looked like. They were out of lots of things—including Simpler Times Pilsner. They only had the other variety which comes in a green can. Unlike the pilsner—which comes in a red can. And tastes horrible, but novel.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

smh wrote: Yes, that’s exactly what it looked like. They were out of lots of things—including Simpler Times Pilsner. They only had the other variety which comes in a green can. Unlike the pilsner—which comes in a red can. And tastes horrible, but novel.
I am a TJ's novice, but I broke down and went last Tuesday after work.  While it was packed and the shelves were sparse due to overfishing, the longest wait to checkout was probably 2 minutes.  I walked right up to an open register.  It did look like a bomb wiped them out, though.

Overall, I wasn't blown away, but I will be back.  They definitely have some unique and affordable items, but you have to weed out the overpriced not good deals from the good ones.  I've had Charles Shaw before, and while not really impressed, I may pick some up to have around for cooking (didn't this time).  I did pick up TJ's house brand sake, which I have not tried yet. No amazing expectations for that, though.  Does anyone have recommendations of other wines they sell on the cheap.  I seem to recall seeing boastings of $40 bottles being sold for $15 (which may or may not be a good deal, depending on the reason for the mark down).
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

i'm not really into tj's two buckers but they do have some doable old world vino for under $10.  they are young wines (1-2 years old) but still pretty good considering the price.  downed an earthy froggy rhone region the other night... $7.. and no headache (which young wines can do).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

in my experience, i have never been impressed with TJ's wines or beers.  the house-label stuff is not very good, and the other stuff, while fine, is not really a "deal."  i mean, it's cool you can pick up a 6er of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale or a decent $12 bottle of vino with your TJ's merchandise, but the prices are the same you'd pay anywhere.  

the products that are really good deals are stuff like cheese, nuts, etc.  otherwise, the prices are pretty much on par or slightly cheaper than you'd pay elsewhere.  i think the TJ's cult comes from the limited-edition products that appear and disappear randomly and stuff you just can't get anywhere else - i.e. they have a lot of frozen entrees or appetizers that are pretty unique that you can't get at price chopper.  pupusas, interesting pizzas, thai stuff, whatever - not nec. great stuff, but unique.  
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ignatius wrote: i'm not really into tj's two buckers but they do have some doable old world vino for under $10.  they are young wines (1-2 years old) but still pretty good considering the price.  downed an earthy froggy rhone region the other night... $7.. and no headache (which young wines can do).
you may be aware of this, but gomer's in midtown is the best place i am aware of in the metro to get good wine at value prices.  sub-$12 (and even sub-$10) vino, old and new world alike, abounds and is carefully curated by jim the wine director.  talk to him when you're there, and he will hook you up and also give candid opinions of stuff he isn't too fond of.  he has actually steered me away from $25 bottles in favor of $12 bottles - like, "here, don't get that, try this.  let me know what you think."  he listens to the customers.  i am a huge fan of gomer's.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

oh yeah, i'm probably one of gomer's biggest customers.. they all know me.  if i see jim in the store, i jump straight to him for advice for the meal at hand.  just saying that tj's does have doable cheap old world's that are headache free.

what's great about gomer's is i can travel the world, find a great wine.  take a picture. show it to jim and he'll find it for me.  no matter what it is (so far).  the cool thing is, they'll then stock it.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

chrizow wrote: you may be aware of this, but gomer's in midtown is the best place i am aware of in the metro to get good wine at value prices.  sub-$12 (and even sub-$10) vino, old and new world alike, abounds and is carefully curated by jim the wine director.  talk to him when you're there, and he will hook you up and also give candid opinions of stuff he isn't too fond of.  he has actually steered me away from $25 bottles in favor of $12 bottles - like, "here, don't get that, try this.  let me know what you think."  he listens to the customers.  i am a huge fan of gomer's.
Gomer's is amazing like that.  I do love that store and the people there.

Emerging onto the scene lately, though, has been Costco.  Barrie Larvin, a Master Sommelier, now works there and manages their wine selection.  My dad alleges that he heard they do something like the second best volume of wine in the country for Costco.  The Kirkland label stuff, when in stock, is actually pretty decent.  There are always good deals, and I've seen Barrie there often.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I went last night at 8 and it was a piece of cake.  Registers weren't bad at all.  They had some stock outs but so what.  I spent about $70 on all kinds of crap like coffee, wine, beer, frozen things, chips, crackers, blood orange soda, what ever.  I actually has fun shopping, of course the alternative was watching the bachelorette with the wife.  I'll definitely be back, and sundays at 8 seem to be good times to go.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

phuqueue wrote: Lots of Southern and Eastern states have liquor laws just as bad.  I'm sure Leawood is no worse than Philadelphia in this respect.
I've been to a TJs in Philly and it had no alcohol. There was a state-run (I believe) liquor store next door, but no 2 Buck Chuck!
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

new york and washington states don't allow liquor in markets.  in nyc, you can't even buy tonic at the liquor store.

think KS is backwards???
http://www.nwcn.com/home/?fId=126328288 ... main=10202
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

What do y'all think of TJ's coffees?