Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
smh
Supporter

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by smh »

FWIW (not much), the doors to the old Banana Republic space next to Gap were open this morning (around 7:50a) and some work was going on inside. Could this be the rumored H&M?

Stay tuned to find out! KCRag Eyes on the Street(R)
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The space vacated by Baja 600 might finally be filled by the owners of BRGR

http://www.kcconfidential.com/full_cont ... =yes&pbr=1
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

smh wrote: FWIW (not much), the doors to the old Banana Republic space next to Gap were open this morning (around 7:50a) and some work was going on inside. Could this be the rumored H&M?

Crossing fingers!!! That would be a welcomed addition to KC!

Now if we can just get IKEA here.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KCMax wrote: The space vacated by Baja 600 might finally be filled by the owners of BRGR

http://www.kcconfidential.com/full_cont ... =yes&pbr=1
A little more detail....

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/06/29/29 ... ormer.html

Partner Alan Gaylin describes Gram & Dun as a gastropub ? a British term for a public house that specializes in high quality food, focusing on local fresh, seasonal ingredients.

Gram & Dun will offer culinary creative comfort food at reasonable prices, he said. Menu items will include an Ahi Nicoise burger with sliced egg and green bean fries, wild boar sloppy joe, grilled chicken club, roasted pork meatballs, beer braised chicken stew, rainbow trout, and daily specials like
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

That found sounds hearty.  Am hoping for a little lighter fare when sitting on an awesome patio but whatever, it's way too early to bitch  :) I love what they did to the BRGR spot in PV and glad Highwoods ended up going with a local connection for the Baja spot.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

They couldn't find a fancier Chiili's for that spot?
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

It's official. 

H&M opening in former Banana Republic spot.  Awesome news!  Great snag by Highwoods.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... plaza.html
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

cityscape wrote: It's official.  

H&M opening in former Banana Republic spot.  Awesome news!  Great snag by Highwoods.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... plaza.html
FWIW (not much), the doors to the old Banana Republic space next to Gap were open this morning (around 7:50a) and some work was going on inside. Could this be the rumored H&M?

Called It! I Win the Forum Prize! And TK said it couldn't be done. Psssh.  [-(
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Also, bravo to Highwoods...although you'd think it shouldn't be that hard to add a flagship retailer to the Metro's flagship shopping district...
“Opening an H&M on the Plaza has been one of the most consistent requests from our customers, and we’re delighted to bring this exciting brand to Kansas City,” Glenn Stephenson, vice president of Highwoods Properties’ Kansas City Division, said in the release.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

great news.  Plaza pulling in solid tenants of late with Sur la Table, Season's, Gram & Dun and now H&M.  I like the location across the street from American Apparel and Standard, in a flagship spot (i.e. hopefully not the small StL mall-style stores).  Now where is our Zara?
are we spinning free?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Not particularly a great score (cheap plaid shirts?) but is good to see Highwoods can attract retailers.

Is curious that Highoods 'listens' to their customers getting an H&M, but they don't listen to the neighborhood desires at all for a market and drug store.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

ignatius wrote: Not particularly a great score (cheap plaid shirts?) but is good to see Highwoods can attract retailers.

Is curious that Highoods 'listens' to their customers getting an H&M, but they don't listen to the neighborhood desires at all for a market and drug store.
because they aren't out of town tourists from Omaha or Wichita
NorthlandGuy
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthlandGuy »

This is really exciting for the Plaza and the Missouri side. I'm glad this didn't land at Oak Park Mall or someplace in southern joco.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NorthlandGuy wrote: This is really exciting for the Plaza and the Missouri side. I'm glad this didn't land at Oak Park Mall or someplace in southern joco.
I'm sure an H&M will land someplace else, but Kudos to Highwoods. Plaza is for flagships which is a good angle.

Just wondering...is there anywhere between Chicago and Denver with better shopping/dining than the Plaza (MPLS, StL included)? I'd rather go to the Plaza if I lived in Des Moines than Mall of America.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Know we need NBA/NHL,MLB stores.
teleology
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by teleology »

trailerkid wrote: I'm sure an H&M will land someplace else, but Kudos to Highwoods. Plaza is for flagships which is a good angle.

Just wondering...is there anywhere between Chicago and Denver with better shopping/dining than the Plaza (MPLS, StL included)? I'd rather go to the Plaza if I lived in Des Moines than Mall of America.
There are areas of Minneapolis that are different but 'better' in some ways.  That city has better dense urban, pedestrian areas of shopping and dining.  While the Plaza is lovely and has neat stores, there are neighborhoods I'd rather live in in Minneapolis - that have a Design Within Reach and a diner and a CVS all in a block or two.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

When will Kate Spade be announced?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
Downtowner
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Downtowner »

teleology wrote: There are areas of Minneapolis that are different but 'better' in some ways.  That city has better dense urban, pedestrian areas of shopping and dining.  While the Plaza is lovely and has neat stores, there are neighborhoods I'd rather live in in Minneapolis - that have a Design Within Reach and a diner and a CVS all in a block or two.
As a space and destination, I don't think much rivals the Plaza. Outsiders appreciate it more than we do. It's why it made the list of top 60 public spaces in the world. My friend from minneapolis is just in awe of it and says he compares every space to it as he travels. I can appreciate any good neighborhood style shopping (like Brookside and what Mpls may have). There are very few shopping destinations in cities that live up to their billing. The Plaza does it on so many levels --  scale and detail of architecture, beauty, atmosphere, shopping dining, residential...it's just an incredibly well done, unique experience.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Downtowner wrote: As a space and destination, I don't think much rivals the Plaza. Outsiders appreciate it more than we do. It's why it made the list of top 60 public spaces in the world. My friend from minneapolis is just in awe of it and says he compares every space to it as he travels. I can appreciate any good neighborhood style shopping (like Brookside and what Mpls may have). There are very few shopping destinations in cities that live up to their billing. The Plaza does it on so many levels --  scale and detail of architecture, beauty, atmosphere, shopping dining, residential...it's just an incredibly well done, unique experience.
I agree with this 100%.  The plaza is ridiculously overlooked and generally under appreciated in Kansas City.  It is one of the country's most unique and interesting urban districts and I have always been extremely proud of that part of KC despite it having chain restaurants or retail outlets most of which I don't give a shit about because it's less "corporate" than most comparable urban shopping and entertainment districts across the country.  I often hear people rip the plaza in KC and I will never understand that.  Only in KC would people rip such a cool area of a city and one of the most unique and truly urban areas of the country between the coasts and then talk up Village West in the same breath.  I love everything about the plaza and the area ALWAYS impresses out of town visitors far more than anything else in KC because most of the rest of KC (including downtown etc) can be found in any major city.  The plaza is KC's pride and joy and I hope the city keeps it that way and never loses interest in such a treasure.  The plaza needs continued investment though.  Some people say the plaza sucks now compared to what it used to be like.  I totally disagree with that.  The plaza is much larger now, far more built up and more mixed use and just a far more impressive place than it was just 15 years ago.  This is why it's so sad that the save the plaza morons are doing more harm than good to the plaza district.

The plaza is so important to KC's identity and that is why it's so difficult for me to comprehend that we sit here approaching 2012 and there is still not a plan even on the horizon to tie the plaza to downtown via rail.

Simply mind boggling.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Now if the Plaza just had a market and drugstore, it would be a neighborhood too.