"Official" Plaza at the Speedway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: "Official" Plaza at the Speedway

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Justin Bieber has more Facebook fans than the Beatles, therefore he is a more talented artist.
Not more talented, just more popular.  Big difference.  Although, to you it is probably the same.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not more talented, just more popular.  Big difference.  Although, to you it is probably the same.
Not even more popular.  Comparing different eras is a little out of whack.  Kind of like relying on consumer report for a critique of a restaurant.   
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Funny thing.  People who agree with your opinion are OK.  People that don't agree then they are idiots.
In the scheme of things your opinion, their opinion are worth the same.

Have ten people choose their favorite coffee and have me judge which one is the best.  I would judge "all" as being no better than piss since I don't like coffee.  For those who hate chains their opinion is no better than mine in this case since they already have a bias against chains.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Funny thing.  People who agree with your opinion are OK.  People that don't agree then they are idiots.
In the scheme of things your opinion, their opinion are worth the same.

Have ten people choose their favorite coffee and have me judge which one is the best.  I would judge "all" as being no better than piss since I don't like coffee.  For those who hate chains their opinion is no better than mine in this case since they already have a bias against chains.
Well, I wouldn't trust your opinion regarding coffee then.  I would trust a person's opinion who's eaten at a wide variety of restaurants and tries to understand something about what they are consuming rather than someone who mindlessly crams down the same thing at the same restaurant every time they go out. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you are ever constipated, go to Bob Evans and slam back a few cups of their coffee. You won't be constipated for long. :D
There is no fifth destination.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Well, I wouldn't trust your opinion regarding coffee then.
Good for you and that is why one shouldn't trust an opinion of one who has a bias against chains.  I eat at a variety of chains and independents, especially when out-of-town.  Nor when I go to chains I order the same item time-after-time.

Are chains fine dining?  Of course not but then they don't present themselves as such.  And just because one is an independent or non-chain doesn't mean they are automatically better than a chain.

If a person doesn't like chains in all probablity one will go to one being dragged on and in a sour mood.  And in that mood one could be served one of their favorite dinner from their favorite restaurant and that person give it a lower grade just because a chain just doesn't serve food that good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Most avoid chains not due to food quality alone but the desire to keep more of their money local.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It depends on the chain.  Many chains are franchises that are owned and operated by local people.
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

true...and those franchise fees still fly to the home office.  it's a combo of things (food quality, etc) as i said earlier.  None of which land me on the side of walking into a chain often.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Not more talented, just more popular.  Big difference.  Although, to you it is probably the same.
Exactly. There is a huge difference between popularity and quality. I don't care that a consumer reports survey found people like Red Lobster and Bob Evans. I think those places are crap.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCMax wrote: Exactly. There is a huge difference between popularity and quality. I don't care that a consumer reports survey found people like Red Lobster and Bob Evans. I think those places are crap.
the quality aspect of it isn't even really subjective - it is a simple fact that national chain food is shitty quality.  people obviously must like the way it tastes, but it is very poor quality.  soup out of a bag, everything frozen, Z-grade meat, everything microwaved or over-warmed in a heat lamp, additives and hormones galore, etc. 

now, that said, it's possible to take questionable ingredients and make something tasty, if not healthy, out of it.  but imo these places do not even try - it's all about portions, marketing, and ubiquity.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: the quality aspect of it isn't even really subjective - it is a simple fact that national chain food is shitty quality.  people obviously must like the way it tastes, but it is very poor quality.  soup out of a bag, everything frozen, Z-grade meat, everything microwaved or over-warmed in a heat lamp, additives and hormones galore, etc.  

now, that said, it's possible to take questionable ingredients and make something tasty, if not healthy, out of it.  but imo these places do not even try - it's all about portions, marketing, and ubiquity.
I find that while the quality and freshness factors tend to be very low at these places, they can turn out some pretty tasty stuff if the kitchen staff cares / does a good job. Too often, however, it seems like it is a stoned high school dropout who will send just about anything to a table.

edit: Note that I say this as someone who was a stoned high school dropout working in the kitchens of chain restaurants 15 years ago. Heh.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

Stockton wrote: Perhaps this elitist attitude is overcompensation for coming from a less-than-sophisticated family/environment.

Red Lobster is what it is. I've never heard anybody call the place "'fine dining". It's more along the lines of family dining. It's humble, and that bothers those who are not.
The reason I don't eat at places like Red Lobster, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs, Applebees, Chilis, Outback, Claim Jumpers, TGIFridays, blah, blah, blah, is because they're extremely unhealthful. Portions are often outrageous and the sodium and saturated fat in most dishes is off the charts. Eating at these places on a regular basis will make you fat and at risk for heart problems/stroke. It really has nothing to do with snobbery... I'd just like to weigh what I should and live past 50.

On a positive note, more and more you can find all this information online and check fat/sodium/calories prior to going to the restaurant and make an informed decision. I believe restaurants will soon be required to post this information on menus as well.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

DanCa wrote: Eating at these places on a regular basis will make you fat and at risk for heart problems/stroke. It really has nothing to do with snobbery... I'd just like to weigh what I should and live past 50.
Many casual dining chains have a Weight Watchers or Healthy Heart or some other type of health/heart menu in case one didn't know.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Or maybe they don't....

mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Restaurant development at the Plaza at the Speedway in Wyandotte County has revved up in the past 18 months, with at least nine new locations either opening or in the pipeline.

Six restaurants have signed deals in the power retail center since late 2009, with at least three more expected by the end of the year, said David Block, principal with Block & Co. Inc.

The deals represent a total of about 60,000 square feet of new retail construction.
Jimmy John’s restaurants as well as retail stores Mattress Firm, T-MobilebizWatch and SleepOne,
construction of phase three — which is expected to draw an additional anchor tenant that will occupy 150,000 square feet — is under way. Although the new anchor tenant is not expected to be announced until the summer,
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

Besides Walmart, which is already part of this development, I can't think of what else would be coming that is 150,000 sq ft as a single anchor tenant.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Department stores
Ross Dress for Less?
Gordmans?
Bealls?
Stein Mart?
Grocery Stores
Albertsons?
Trader Joes?
Dillions back?
Others
Michaels?
Dick's?
Menards?
Barnes and Noble?
Sports Authority?
Grander Mountain?
MCSPORTS?
Bed Bath and Beyond?
Which ones are closing?
Last edited by mgsports on Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mgsports wrote: Restaurant development at the Plaza at the Speedway in Wyandotte County has revved up in the past 18 months, with at least nine new locations either opening or in the pipeline.
And in other news, chain restaurants continue to close east of 435 and the blight where 99% of the residents of the city live continues to deteriorate.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Sam's Cllub it's Gas Station coming soon and N7 Family Dollar to.