Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCMax wrote: For whatever reason, its not the $8-10 for a burger that fazes me, its the $4 for fries/rings separate of the burger that always makes me think gourmet burger places are expensvie. Blame years of the McDonald's Extra Value meal I suppose.
Beer Kitchen is the same way, you have to buy the fries seperate but the portions seem way bigger and the dipping sauce you choose is great as well
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I don't think the Drop and Blanc are associated anymore, but I could be wrong.
droopy wrote: Was it busy when you were there or did they seem to be struggling for business?  100% serious question.
Tuesday around 8:00-10:00 PM...I'd say the place was 25% or less full. I remember when it opened in Westport it was this quasi trendy hotspot. I'd say that whole persona is 110% washed away.

And the manager also had a very small, visible tattoo on her hand so I wonder if that rule about covering tattoos is incorrect.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've heard from 3 separate people (3rd just tonight) that Westside Local has one the best burgers they have had??
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

it's solid.  I've ordered it several times and it's been consistently good.  I think the first time i had it i was just surprised... i didn't expect it to be as good as it was, and with my expectations adjusted on subsequent visits i can say it's a solid burger.  I think the key is how unexpectedly good it is.  Now that you've been told it's a good burger, expect to be disappointed.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

trailerkid wrote: I don't think the Drop and Blanc are associated anymore, but I could be wrong.

Tuesday around 8:00-10:00 PM...I'd say the place was 25% or less full. I remember when it opened in Westport it was this quasi trendy hotspot. I'd say that whole persona is 110% washed away.

And the manager also had a very small, visible tattoo on her hand so I wonder if that rule about covering tattoos is incorrect.
So your saying if this place was still in Westport you would be okay with paying the prices you paid and be happy it was a quasi trendy hotspot? 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

brewcrew1000 wrote: So your saying if this place was still in Westport you would be okay with paying the prices you paid and be happy it was a quasi trendy hotspot?  
To a degree...yes. I'm OK dropping $30 at a place with a Westport aesthetic and rocker chick servers than a Plaza basement with Noodles & Company service. There is value to me knowing I'm supporting recordbar/WC+B/Foundry type commerce rather than stuff that's aspirational to be in every strip mall shopping center.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

trailerkid wrote: To a degree...yes. I'm OK dropping $30 at a place with a Westport aesthetic and rocker chick servers than a Plaza basement with Noodles & Company service. There is value to me knowing I'm supporting recordbar/WC+B/Foundry type commerce rather than stuff that's aspirational to be in every strip mall shopping center.
Noodles & Co. service? Really?

I, for one, still enjoy Blanc on an occasion. I think the Au Poivre burge is ridiculously tasty and I love the fries. Yes, it can be a little more than I typically want to pay for a burger, but when you share the fries with someone the price is much more acceptable.

Again, just my opinion, but I like the place. I also liked the Westport location quite a bit.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

The last time we went to Blanc, our server told us that there was a special, but that it was a surprise--order it and see what you get.

This was actually the highlight of our visit.

I am definitely over this place.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

smh wrote: Noodles & Co. service? Really?

I, for one, still enjoy Blanc on an occasion. I think the Au Poivre burge is ridiculously tasty and I love the fries. Yes, it can be a little more than I typically want to pay for a burger, but when you share the fries with someone the price is much more acceptable.

Again, just my opinion, but I like the place. I also liked the Westport location quite a bit.
It took at least 5 minutes before I was acknowledged by the server even with the manager wandering around from table to table.

The server wears sneakers, shorts, and a Blanc t-shirt.

The server awkwardly asks me if I "know what I want" at the same time as she takes drink order.

I'm never asked about how the overpriced food tastes.

The floor manager is very nice, but visibly annoying customers with her overzealousness.

YES. It felt like a corporate Noodles or Chipotle. It was the cheapest-feeling $30 burger/onion rings/beer I've ever had.

These are all things completely opposite from an experience at a place like Hickok's where they act like...ya'know...they're a real restaurant. Blanc is obviously on auto-pilot. Go to Burger Stand in Lawrence if want Blanc circa 2010.
Last edited by trailerkid on Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

trailerkid wrote: Go to Burger Stand in Lawrence if want Blanc circa 2010.
I'm not a big beef eater, but this is one of the few places I'll eat a burger.  Haven't had Blanc yet, and it sounds like I shouldn't even bother with it.  I've had Five Guys and Smash Burger both once, and they were pretty good.  I still think Burger Stand is the best though.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcmetro wrote: I'm not a big beef eater, but this is one of the few places I'll eat a burger.  Haven't had Blanc yet, and it sounds like I shouldn't even bother with it.  I've had Five Guys and Smash Burger both once, and they were pretty good.  I still think Burger Stand is the best though.
I think Burger Stand is the best as well, and they have duck fat fries which are amazing
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

trailerkid wrote: It took at least 5 minutes before I was acknowledged by the server even with the manager wandering around from table to table.

The server wears sneakers, shorts, and a Blanc t-shirt.

The server awkwardly asks me if I "know what I want" at the same time as she takes drink order.

I'm never asked about how the overpriced food tastes.

The floor manager is very nice, but visibly annoying customers with her overzealousness.

YES. It felt like a corporate Noodles or Chipotle. It was the cheapest-feeling $30 burger/onion rings/beer I've ever had.

These are all things completely opposite from an experience at a place like Hickok's where they act like...ya'know...they're a real restaurant. Blanc is obviously on auto-pilot. Go to Burger Stand in Lawrence if want Blanc circa 2010.

Sounds like exactly like the spot was when it was in Westport....I may be getting a little touchy here, but what is exactly wrong with small businesses trying to grow and expand? What are they supposed to do? Stay small and struggle? Because that's what super small companies do. I know I own one. And if you think it's overpriced why did you go back and try it anyway? Contrary to what you may think, businesses don't start out with a indie rock band mentality of just wanting to play in small venues and preach "Screw the Man!" Their small business people have a mind of an entrepreneur in hopes of hitting it big time and being the next Chipolte or the next Bourdain or Keller..

I'm just trying to figure out whats wrong with that? They may have some things to work on and may of had a few missteps but it's impossible to grow something quickly and not have that happen.

Robert from the Burger Stand is a good friend and if you don't think for one second he would want to be in Blanc's shoes your crazy.

I think people just get their panties in a wad because it's not their little westport secret anymore. God forbid there's JoCo family's in there!!!! It's just gotta suck now! 
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ChefColby wrote:
I think people just get their panties in a wad because it's not their little westport secret anymore. God forbid there's JoCo family's in there!!!! It's just gotta suck now! 
Sounds like an accurate description of most conversations around here.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
sconniecooks
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by sconniecooks »

thank you Colby.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

ChefColby wrote:
Sounds like exactly like the spot was when it was in Westport....I may be getting a little touchy here, but what is exactly wrong with small businesses trying to grow and expand? What are they supposed to do? Stay small and struggle? Because that's what super small companies do. I know I own one. And if you think it's overpriced why did you go back and try it anyway? Contrary to what you may think, businesses don't start out with a indie rock band mentality of just wanting to play in small venues and preach "Screw the Man!" Their small business people have a mind of an entrepreneur in hopes of hitting it big time and being the next Chipolte or the next Bourdain or Keller..

I'm just trying to figure out whats wrong with that? They may have some things to work on and may of had a few missteps but it's impossible to grow something quickly and not have that happen.

Robert from the Burger Stand is a good friend and if you don't think for one second he would want to be in Blanc's shoes your crazy.

It looks like TrailerKid expressed specific issues that Blanc is not executing well. SHould we just ignore the shortcomings?
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

It just seems like no one would complain about the same issues if they would have stayed in the same spot. The issues seem to be magnified because they've "gone corporate"

The place isn't supposed to be the Capital Grill for gods sake....and $30 for a decent meal with QUALITY products anywhere in America isn't outrageous.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ChefColby wrote: ....and $30 for a decent meal with QUALITY products anywhere in America isn't outrageous.
I agree. But Blanc is considerably more expensive, has worse burgers, and worse food service than at least 50% of the other places serving burgers I've been to in town. The operation isn't worth $30 to me. I'm also a little bourgie like most of the people on here, but not nearly bourgie enough to spend $30 on a burger and onion rings in the basement of a Plaza parking garage. The idea of that makes me want to shoot myself in the face.
Last edited by trailerkid on Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I don't get the consternation.  I love the place.  It easily outpaces 5 guys.  Wesport Flea Market will always be my hamburger favorite out of lifelong loyalty but BBB comes in a close second.  And I've never spent close to 30$ for a meal there...it's not that easy to do unless you go for surf and turf. 
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

The only thing I don't like about Blanc is the burgers aren't very good.  It just blends in with every other unremarkable burger I've ever had.  I've actually been to Kuma's in Chicago more times than I've been to Blanc (and it's not like I actually go to Chicago that much) and I definitely intend to keep it that way.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

THIS.
phuqueue wrote: The only thing I don't like about Blanc is the burgers aren't very good.  It just blends in with every other unremarkable burger I've ever had.