Transportation Truman Sports Complex - HELP

Transportation topics in KC
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Transportation Truman Sports Complex - HELP

Post by LindseyLohan »

Anyone have any suggestions? It's about 5 miles from my house and I am going to be meeting outta town family for tailgate only. I'll have a 3 year old with me, so I'm not trying to walk across the parking lot. Only have from about 7 til kickoff to hangout.

I called YellowCab and asked if the cab drops me off next to the stadium where I always see them when I am leaving. She had no idea. Do they get a special shortcut into the stadium? Trying to avoid spending all 2 hours fighting to get in and roaming the parking lot.

KCATA can't run because of new federal regulations? Seriously? WTF?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Transportation Truman Sports Complex - HELP

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

LindseyLohan wrote: KCATA can't run because of new federal regulations? Seriously? WTF?
If by "federal regulations" they mean "we cut the service because we are broke". 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It's not just the KCATA.  Transit agencies across the country are dealing with the same problem do to some new rules put out by the Federal DOT about using public transit infrastructure for private events.  It was basically brought on by private bus contractors.  Basically the private companies argued that it's not fair to have to compete with public transit and their fleets of subsidized buses.

So now instead of several thousand people taking transit to the stadium, several hundred will pay twice as much to ride school buses to the stadium and you will have 1000's more cars on the road and that many more parking spaces needed.

The KCATA chose to use the stadium express cuts as a timely PR move to get a sales tax increase, that's why they said they cut it due to funding cuts when in reality, it's probably one of the more lucrative uses of transit they have that required little, if any subsidization.

The KCATA won't be able to run to the air show, major festivals etc either.

Kind of stupid if you ask me.

Cabs can get into the stadium fast.  Most know how to drive and use the lanes that most people don't use and once they get near the stadium, the cops will let them in via a special entrance (the bus entrances).  Good luck catching one though, with the lack of buses, they will be hard to come by especially if you are not at KCI or Downtown.
Last edited by GRID on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The KCATA website does direct to the private charter site --

However, Kincaid Coach Lines is offering service to the stadium from several locations in the Kansas City area. Please visit the Chiefs website for more information about the service.

It will be a school bus, and twice as expensive at the KCATA bus, but still cheaper than a cab, looks like

http://www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead/publi ... ation.html
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Here is the reply I received earlier this year when I wrote The Funk about transport to the Stadiums.  (yes, I was getting desperate at that point)

Dear Mr. Knab:

I am in receipt of your suggestion to the Mayor?s office regarding bus service to Arrowhead Stadium for Chiefs games.  Please note that KCATA, like all public transit systems receive federal funding from the Federal Transit Administration, (FTA) and must follow the guidelines and rules of the FTA.

Several years ago, FTA severely restricted the ability of public agencies such as KCATA to engage in ?charter? activities.  Further, FTA determined specialized stadium and seasonal service to be charter.  Accordingly, KCATA was prohibited from engaging in such service as long as a private bus operator was interested in such service.

If you go to the Chiefs website www.kcchiefs.com/arrowhead/public-transportation.html you will note that you can buy tickets for bus transportation through Kincaid Coach Lines.  I hope this service will meet your transportation needs.

Thank you for your interest in KCATA, I hope the information I have provided is useful.

Regards,

Mark Huffer

KCATA

General Manager
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I don't know if this will help you or not, but a lot of Hy-Vee stores will have shuttles to and from the stadiums today.  I believe they are taking people to the Royals game at 2pm and I know they are taking people to the Chiefs game by 9:15pm.
KC is the way to be!
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

GRID: Thanks for the info. I think it was $18 when I looked for a private ticket and the times where not going to work since I wanted to leave at kick off.

I think it's crap. Probably the work of lobbyists. So are they going to ban buses from taking us to work at private businesses? Didn't the government make a major investment in the sports complex?
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

The stadium is 5 minutes away and all the pick ups are at least 10 minutes away...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

wow, had no idea about those new federal rules....guess I should back off the ATA.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

cknab1 wrote: Several years ago, FTA severely restricted the ability of public agencies such as KCATA to engage in ?charter? activities.  Further, FTA determined specialized stadium and seasonal service to be charter.  Accordingly, KCATA was prohibited from engaging in such service as long as a private bus operator was interested in such service.
You can thank George W. Bush and Mary Peters, his Secretary of Transportation, for this policy.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

thankfully, it's a "rule" and not a "law". it could conceivably be changed by this administration.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

The Cashew has a free bus to the games that I will try this weekend.  I have a group of six, so I hope it works out.  I was going to try it for the Monday night game, but that was their first trip and they were not leaving until 8:00  That just didn't seem to be enough time to get there.  This bus is leaving at 10:00 so I'll let you know what happens.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks for the heads up. I'm shocked cordish hasn't done this yet. I saw harrahs was running their shuttle for Mnf.

cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Another reason I did not use it last Monday was when I was talking to the guy, he was being really general about everything, saying they might have to make a few trips out depending on how many people show up, but that the bus would leave right after the game.  He couldn't explain how the 18 passenger bus could make 3 trips out, but only one back.  I talked to a different guy this time, Daniel, and he seemed more on top of things.  hope it works out.
ee1234
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ee1234 »

Bumping to ask about transportation to a Royals game. Staying downtown. No desire to drive.

Any bars running shuttles? Any tips on getting a cab after the game, or will I have to wait a long time (it'll be on a weekend)?

We'll have a group of four, so a cab may be the best idea unless there's a bar with a free shuttle.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ee1234 wrote: Bumping to ask about transportation to a Royals game. Staying downtown. No desire to drive.

Any bars running shuttles? Any tips on getting a cab after the game, or will I have to wait a long time (it'll be on a weekend)?

We'll have a group of four, so a cab may be the best idea unless there's a bar with a free shuttle.
I have a friend that works for the Royals, and they are currently in talks to get some shuttles started with some of the bigger bar districts in the city (like Westport and P&L).  It doesn't sound like this will happen for another few weeks at the earliest, though.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

Maybe they could install a few bike racks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

bobbyhawks wrote: I have a friend that works for the Royals, and they are currently in talks to get some shuttles started with some of the bigger bar districts in the city (like Westport and P&L).  It doesn't sound like this will happen for another few weeks at the earliest, though.
I wouldn't expect it until "summer" but this seems like a no-brainer.  Run a few buses, you get pre-game drinkers in your bars and post-game drinkers.  Could something like the neighborhood tourist fund be used to subsidize these route costs?

That or the ATA create a Eastern Jax route that regularly runs with a stop on Blue Ridge that could be used by fans.