NAIA basketball tournament

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

NAIA basketball tournament

Post by AJoD »

Does anyone go to this? Seems doubtful, given the size of the crowd, but we had a great time on Monday at the semifinals. I can't remember the last basketball game I've seen that was so entertaining.

Because it's not too well attended, we were able to sit midcourt 2nd row (until about 10 minutes left in the first game...we got some bad info on what "general admission" included), which, even at this level of play, is really an awesome way to watch a basketball game.

We were surrounded on either side by small but rowdy and boisterous student/traveling fan sections.

And the game, the first game in particular (Martin Methodist vs. Pikeville) was terrific. The scoring pace was ridiculous, with threes raining down and monster dunks by a 5' 10" jumping bean. Martin City seemed like the more athletic bunch, and slowly stretched to a 15 point lead midway through the second half.  But Pikeville made an astounding run, something like 20 in a row or 20-3 to take the lead with a series of improbable shots, breakaways, and some bad plays on the other end. Ended up with a 35-point second half turnaround, and a 110-99 final score. Ridiculous.

I'm not posting to recap the game, I'm just surprised at the entertainment value here. And in Municipal Auditorium, which has a ton of basketball history and is still a very fine place to watch a game. We went with the boys' grandpa, who played for Henry Iba at Oklahoma St. back in the 60s, and reminisced about his games there.

I thought about going back tonight for the final, and just seeing that it was an overtime thriller, wish I had. Oh well. So it's too late for this year, but if you're a basketball fan, consider it for next year. I guess there's no guarantee of good games, but it was pretty great.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: NAIA basketball tournament

Post by KCPowercat »

Try to go one day each year but didn't this year. They get good attendance here vs. anywhere else....hence them moving back.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: NAIA basketball tournament

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Try to go one day each year but didn't this year. They get good attendance here vs. anywhere else....hence them moving back.
I've been three or four times - always a good time if you're a basketball fan.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.