First Family Church (Rev. Jerry Johnston) faces foreclosure

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: First Family Church (Rev. Jerry Johnston) faces foreclosure

Post by trailerkid »

Very similar story happening to a radical, evangelical "worship center" on the outskirts of Sioux City, IA. They owe a construction company $6M and a sheriff's sale is scheduled as Cornerstone tries to quickly file for Chapter 11.
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/lo ... b476e.html

This is the same church that launched the attack to oust the Iowa Supreme Court.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

trailerkid wrote: Very similar story happening to a radical, evangelical "worship center" on the outskirts of Sioux City, IA. They owe a construction company $6M and a sheriff's sale is scheduled as Cornerstone tries to quickly file for Chapter 11.
http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/news/lo ... b476e.html

This is the same church that launched the attack to oust the Iowa Supreme Court.
The bankruptcy couldn't happen to a more deserving group.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I predict the good reverend will be leaving for greener pastures soon. The KC market is too small for his ambitions.
There is no fifth destination.
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I hope this jackass and his cult church go under.  My own nutty family go to this church and talk about him like he's some supestar.  They have some crazy ideas from this lunatic too.  If my parents have wills, I'm betting it's all going to "doctor" Jerry, not me!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Don't worry DanCa. I'm sure some nasty sex scandal will eventually pop up, and solve that problem. :D
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

FangKC wrote: Don't worry DanCa. I'm sure some nasty sex scandal will eventually pop up, and solve that problem. :D
I look forward to that!  I don't tell my parents I've researched their church and know what's going on, so I let them tell me about all the "wonderful things" going on at FFC and bite my tongue.  They're under the impression that there are evil demons working against FFC that they have to help fight, and that tithing 10% is supposed to be "pre-tax".  My family is easily duped by anyone claiming to be their brand of Christianity.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, people can tithe elsewhere than a church. They can give their 10 percent to a charity.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: First Family Church (Rev. Jerry Johnston) faces foreclos

Post by KCMax »

First Family Church ousted from home, will ‘re-launch’ Sept. 18
Facing foreclosure for several months, First Family Church — once described as among the fastest-growing in the country — announced Sunday that it is losing its building and everything in it.

The Overland Park church, founded by the Rev. Jerry Johnston, will hold its final service at its location near U.S. 69 and 143rd Street on Sept. 11, the board announced.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Long piece on Johnston last weekend in the Star.

After losing his building, Pastor Jerry Johnston starts over
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

And speaking of churches, Mr. Johnson and Co. don't compaare too favorably with the Rock church members/urban farmers in todays kc star magazine
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

General advice: Never follow any religious leader that can afford to live in Leawood, or has a better house than you do.
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

KCMax wrote:Long piece on Johnston last weekend in the Star.

After losing his building, Pastor Jerry Johnston starts over
Thanks for posting this. His house was for sale for $900K! He had bodyguards! His family’s combined income from the church was nearly $1M annually! (plus books, CDs, DVDs, speaking engagements, radio show, etc) Wow!

I decided to check out the website for his newly formed church. Nowhere on his long bio or his wife's bio do they mention his time as pastor for First Family Church. Like a catholic annulment..... it’s like "it never happened". His daughter and son-in-law started a new church in Lee’s Summit and his son is also starting one (and old unethical habits are hard to break).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Blue Valley to buy First Family property
The Blue Valley School District will pay $9 million for the First Family Church complex in southern Overland Park and convert it for use as an early childhood education center.

The complex, on 51 acres at 143rd Street and U.S. 69, also is expected to be used for staff offices and professional development, the district said.

The school board approved the purchase on a unanimous vote at a special meeting Monday. The district expects to close on the deal later this week.

Renovating the 125,000-square-foot complex will cost about $19 million, district officials said. Funds for the purchase and renovation will come from a previously approved bond issue.