Teadrops goes into H&R Block Building

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Teadrops goes into H&R Block Building

Post by ColumbusParkian »

The old Starbucks space is now Teadrops, the 2nd location for a local business (first is in Westport). Do people think it'll make it? I don't know how much of a market there is for tea drinking in the middle of downtown, but maybe i'm mistaken. I hope it does well. I'd prefer to see any development rather than empty storefronts, and i do love that space. The fact that it's local is just icing on the cake.

Pastries and all that sort of thing weren't yet available when i stopped in the other day, but they should be soon.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Teadrops goes into H&R Block Building

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Did they do anything to improve the sidewalk visibility or do you still have to pretty much clairvoyantly know that it is there?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Its not really a tea place, its a coffee bar. I think the tea refers to boba tea.
Last edited by KCMax on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

KCMax wrote: Its not really a tea place, its a coffee bar. I think the tea refers to boba tea.
The original Tea Drops in Westport is all tea and boba tea.  I'm sure they have plain coffee on the menu but it's definitely a tea place.
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

no real signage, at least nothing that sticks out. a 6th sense definitely comes in handy.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

supastudio wrote: The original Tea Drops in Westport is all tea and boba tea.  I'm sure they have plain coffee on the menu but it's definitely a tea place.
Ah, well, boba tea does seem to be pretty popular among young women. My wife loves it. If they can make it in Westport I think they can have a chance downtown.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

ColumbusParkian wrote: no real signage, at least nothing that sticks out. a 6th sense definitely comes in handy.
In that case I give it a month.  Starbucks couldn't make it and they have a loyal army of addicts that will seek them out buried under a rock.  I would think a tea business will be even more reliant on bringing in people from outside the building.  They need to do something with that garden and staircase to make it more obvious that a business is up there and not just the HRB smokers patio. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: In that case I give it a month.  Starbucks couldn't make it and they have a loyal army of addicts that will seek them out buried under a rock.  I would think a tea business will be even more reliant on bringing in people from outside the building.  They need to do something with that garden and staircase to make it more obvious that a business is up there and not just the HRB smokers patio. 
the coffee shop is FOR THE OFFICE TOWER. there are probably a dozen similar, non-visible coffee shops/stands all around downtown inside office office buildings.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

trailerkid wrote: the coffee shop is FOR THE OFFICE TOWER. there are probably a dozen similar, non-visible coffee shops/stands all around downtown inside office office buildings.
Beyond that, didn't the Starbucks close as part of a nation-wide closing of locations, and have something to do with the fact that they had another location a block away?  Sure, it was chosen as a location to be closed by the corporate office, but I don't think it was slated to close on its own...?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The space is designed to be a hybrid. It is connected to the HRB Center lobby but also has an outside entrance. However, since HRBC is such a monolith on the block, it does tend to isolate that retail space. Keep in mind that this is the first time this space has been occupied since Cosentino's has been open, though, so it'll have far more visibility.

They have the full tea selection, a coffee bar and boba.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: the coffee shop
Yeah but as you might have guess from the name, this is supposed to be predominately a tea shop.  If they are counting on getting their business from inside the tower alone, then I will revize my estimate - I doubt they can make it a full month. 
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

For anyone wondering about hours like I was...

Current hours are Monday-Saturday, 6:30am-6pm.  They have ordered signage, and once that is up and they are better advertised, which is expected to be in a few weeks, they will be open 6:30am-9:30pm, Monday-Saturday.  Closed Sundays.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

"Dropped" by Teadrops today after lunch at Cosentinos...  I haven't been to the one in Westport for a few years, and I don't really remember what sort of dedication they had to loose leaf and tea gear, but it seems like once they have everything up on display, as a manager/owner looking person was describing, it will likely have a great selection tea equipment for casual and serious tea drinkers, along with the already great selection of loose leafs for take-home.  I never realized how reasonable their teas were.  $3 for a tea that is sold for as much as $8 and ounce, or around 65 cents per cup.  Starbucks charges about the same for a bag that costs around 25 cents at the store and tastes like wax paper (perhaps I'm too harsh on Tazo). 

I tried the Ginger Pu-erh.  Really good.  The people at the counter were describing a Chai Tea Latte with added ginger and vanilla that sounded amazing.  I will have to try next time! 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

How was business? Was there any one else there?

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's a proper sign on 13th street now. it's visible from inside cosentino's.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/10/26 ... st-on.html
Teadrops, in the H&R Block headquarters building at 13th and Main streets, has added sandwiches for lunch Monday through Friday ? corned beef on rye, roasted turkey on wheat, and pastrami on rye ? each with house-made oil slaw, cranberry relish and a pickle spear, all for $6.99. A vegetarian sandwich will be added soon

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Great news!  Between this and Shang Tea in Crown Center, they have a top notch selection of loose leafs.  Now, it will be a great alternative to Cosentino's for a quick sandwich.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Thank goodness! The way they've been just randomly closing lately, I was sure that this thread's update was going to be that Teadrops closed. Hopefully their sandwiches are good!
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

The gf and I went by their DT location after visiting the CBE last Sunday, they were closed.

We frequent their Westport location and I'd have to say they have awesome Bubble (boba) tea. 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

^^^^ I always forget to add Teadrops DT to my hated list of early-closing, when are they ever open cool places I wish I could patronize list.  I've tried going numerous times after work; always closed.  And they have that sweet patio area looking out towards 13th St/Cosentino's too, it's a shame.  I love their location in Westport but if you're gonna do a second location, especially in a "cool" urban center, do it right.
are we spinning free?