Suspicious death in Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Suspicious death in Westport

Post by KCPowercat »

So did this just drop off the face of the earth with no cause?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

In case you were wondering, there is some good news to come out of this tragic story!

Out of concern for possible HIPPA violations, I cannot mention all the details.  But I wanted to share with you all the context of a letter I was privileged to see, so that you all can know of just some of the good things that have happened because of this young man's death.  Here you go:

[Opening paragraph]

The patient's heart recipient is a 60-year-old married gentleman from the Midwest.  Prior to his transplant, he suffered from a condition that cause weakening of the heart muscle, which made it difficult to do simple daily actives.    His new heart has very good function and he has been released from the hospital in great condition.

The recipient of the donor's lungs is a 41-year-old gentleman from the North Central region of the United States.  He suffered from a disease that made it difficult to breathe, often requiring additional oxygen to do simple daily activities.  He was on the transplant waiting list for 11 months before receiving his transplant.  His new lungs are functioning well and he has been moved out of the Intensive Care Unit.  He is scheduled to be released from the hospital this week.  He is married and the father of 4 children.

One of the donor's kidneys gave a 23-year-old woman from the Midwest a second chance at life.  She suffered from a disease that caused her kidneys to fail making it impossible to remove waste from her body.  She had been receiving dialysis treatments and awaiting a transplant for over 4 years.  This is her second kidney transplant.  Her new kidney had delayed function but she has now been released from the hospital in good condition and continues to recover.

The patient's other kidney and pancreas recipient is a 50-year-old gentleman, again from the Midwest.  He too suffered from a disease that caused his kidneys to fail making it impossible to remove waste from his body.  He also required daily insulin injections to control his blood sugar.  He had been receiving dialysis treatments for 20 months and was on the transplant list for 2 1/2 years prior to receiving these life saving gifts.  His new kidney had delayed function but he has been released from the hospital to continue his recovery at home.  He no longer requires daily insulin injections to control his blood sugar.  The recipient is married and has 4 grandchildren.

Initial information of the patient's liver function appeared to be good and his liver was recovered for the purpose of transplantation.  Additional testing after the recovery indicated that transplantation was not possible.  This family's willingness to consider the needs of others gives hope to the thousands who are waiting for a second chance at life through transplantation.

His corneas were transplanted providing two people with the gift of sight.  One cornea was transplanted into a 66-year-old woman from the Midwest.  The other went to a 55-year-old woman, also from the Midwest.  Transplantation has given these recipients a better quality of life with their improved vision.

[closing paragraph]

So, yes, there is a silver lining in all this mess.
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Wow, yeah, it's certainly good that the kid was a donor. Wish we could just grow organs in jars, though.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sad story still today.  Ruled a homicide for unpublicized reasons

http://www.kmbc.com/news/26001209/detail.html

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

A bit more detail on the story. 
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/12/02/24 ... cious.html

I hope the renewed publicity and distance from the event encourages some people to come forward, especially since the TIPS hotline is now in play.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Maybe a resolution.
Kansas City police have arrested a suspect in the homicide of Brian Euston, a 24-year-old who died after an Oct. 10 incident in Westport.

The suspect, whose name wasn’t released, was taken into custody Wednesday morning, said Capt. Floyd Mitchell, who oversees the department’s homicide unit. Detectives were led to that person, who is in his mid-20s, after investigating several tips. The police have submitted a case to Jackson County prosecutors for review and possible charges.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/01/26/26 ... z1CDOMEbSI
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Would be great to get this resolved and give the family closure.....if it was a fight/assault/etc still wonder what brought it on. 

I still think the friend's bear a lot of fault here for leaving their severely intoxicated friend in the bar alone....nobody should do that to a buddy no matter where they are drinking.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

TKC has the mugshot and name of the suspect as well as other innuendo and gossip.

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2011/01/ ... uston.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The star has a story now that lays out the situation almost word for word how I had proposed it went down which I don't think I posted here but on phog.net where I was called a fool.

Really drunk guy stumbling around group gathered, pissed off guy, wouldn't leave, gets punched which causes him to fall and hit his head.

Sad sad event but definately not the gang beatdown that was plastered all over the internet. If I was a friend of Brian that left him at the bar alone, I'm not sure how I could live with myself. Take care if your friends.....this would have probably been completely avoided if a friend was there to drag him to the cab.

KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sad sad event but definately not the gang beatdown that was plastered all over the internet. If I was a friend of Brian that left him at the bar alone, I'm not sure how I could live with myself. Take care if your friends.....this would have probably been completely avoided if a friend was there to drag him to the cab.
Pretty sure I'm going to sound like a complete prick, but...

it sounds like this guy had it coming. 

I mean, it's certainly tragic that his injury resulted in death, but is it really surprising that he god punched in the head?  .387?  Jeesus.  This kid must have been nearly unconscious drunk. 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

yeah, it's still pretty much a freak accident (similar to that guy in Granfaloon who had the seizure when he got punched).
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCMax wrote: TKC has the mugshot and name of the suspect as well as other innuendo and gossip.

http://www.tonyskansascity.com/2011/01/ ... uston.html
Why do I start reading the comments?  ](*,)
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ComandanteCero wrote: yeah, it's still pretty much a freak accident (similar to that guy in Granfaloon who had the seizure when he got punched).
I would not necassarily call it an "accident".  I doubt if the guy intended to kill him but punching someone, particularly someone incapable of defending themselves, always involves risk.  Same thing happened to a kid at a bar in Kansas (around 103rd & Metcalfe) when bars there could serve alcohol to 18 year olds.  A kid with his hands in his pockets was punched and died when his head hit the pavement.  He couldn't get his hands out of his pockets fast enough to break the fall.  Moral of the story:  Don't punch people, bad things can happen. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No doubt High....but just look at the 1st page of this thread on this site alone which is known to not really jump to conclusions about things like this...now imagine what was being spread among the community in other less urban centric sites and watercoolers.....
My mom told me the "theory" (not sure whose, police or the neighbor's or what) is that it was some kind of gang initiation thing, some thugs just had to go out and murder anybody and it happened to be Brian.

But the story amongst many of his friends is that he was jumped by a gang of guys outside America's Pub and beaten to death.

there was speculation that a group of people were involved in beating him or watching this unfold closely.

all signs "privately" point to a group beating while others watched, which is why this is so terrible

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote: Sad sad event but definately not the gang beatdown that was plastered all over the internet. If I was a friend of Brian that left him at the bar alone, I'm not sure how I could live with myself. Take care if your friends.....this would have probably been completely avoided if a friend was there to drag him to the cab.
Knowing him and his friends, I wish you'd shut up on the subject. People get split up at bars when they're in their 20's. People get hammered and leave at different times or whatever. This is not his friend's fault...I've backed off as you constantly spout off over and over on this thread. Give it a rest.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

NDTeve wrote: Knowing him and his friends, I wish you'd shut up on the subject. People get split up at bars when they're in their 20's. People get hammered and leave at different times or whatever. This is not his friend's fault...I've backed off as you constantly spout off over and over on this thread. Give it a rest.
I agree that this wasn't his friends' fault. 
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

His friends left an hour or more before he did.  Hard to say what his condition was at that time (or theirs).  Who knows how much and what he drank while alone.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry if you don't agree, I'm sure being close to them alters your perception but it doesn't change my opinion of the situation.  Knowing his friends do they feel any responsibility?  The group I regularly go out with has an unspoken rule of not leaving a friend alone....especially one who is obviously very intoxicated.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And to be clear I'm not laying his death at his friends feet.....it appears to be a tragic accident. Just saying a friend hanging back with him may have avoided it.....

NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KCPowercat wrote: Sorry if you don't agree, I'm sure being close to them alters your perception but it doesn't change my opinion of the situation.  Knowing his friends do they feel any responsibility?  The group I regularly go out with has an unspoken rule of not leaving a friend alone....especially one who is obviously very intoxicated.
Just like the three musketeers...awesome.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain