PAC Construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

PAC Construction

Post by LCDSI »

does anyone know when the construction will start for the new performing arts center?

also this is my first post and i wanted to comment how great it is that there's so much support for kansas city's development.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

PAC Construction

Post by GRID »

Late 2005 is the latest figure. They have to wait for the KC Ballet's new building to be built so the old one can be torn down for the new PAC. There is also a funding gap, but I doubt it will slow down the project.

Welcome to the forum.

I know there are a lot of thread and it does not take long for a thread to get lost, but here is the PAC thread.

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... .php?t=862
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

PAC Construction

Post by tat2kc »

Welcome! But yea, the Ballet school is currently on Broadway. I think the ground breaking for the school is scheduled for sometime soon. they said shortly after Labor Day, so I expect it'll be any day now. I've seen some trucks and surveyors around. I suspect that when the ballet construction begins, more money will flow towards the PAC.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
scooterj
Ambassador

PAC Construction

Post by scooterj »

Where will the new ballet be built in relation to the PAC and the existing ballet?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

PAC Construction

Post by KCPowercat »

moving downtown
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

PAC Construction

Post by LCDSI »

thanks for the update will anyone be taking construction pictures of the ballet site as well? (i.e. similar to the H&R Block site)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

GRID wrote: There is also a funding gap, but I doubt it will slow down the project.
Without Bistate II how would the gap be made up?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

PAC Construction

Post by KCPowercat »

Julia Irene has already stated they don't need the $50M to build the PAC. It's been reported everywhere.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote:Julia Irene has already stated they don't need the $50M to build the PAC. It's been reported everywhere.
That was dumb of her to say. Unless...
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

KCPowercat wrote:Julia Irene has already stated they don't need the $50M to build the PAC. It's been reported everywhere.
So why is she taking it?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

PAC Construction

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd take $50M for my pet project if the taxpayers would give it to me too.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory5.html

it's funny, alot of people I've talked to say they will vote for BS2 because of the PAC, not the stadiums which they think is a waste of money.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

Giving $50 to someone who doesn't need it doesn't make much sense. Did the PAC ask for it or was it just given?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

Well, if that is the case it might cause me to rethink my stance on Bistate II
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

PAC Construction

Post by GRID »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Giving $50 to someone who doesn't need it doesn't make much sense. Did the PAC ask for it or was it just given?
No, I believe it was offered to them. BSII needs the very sexy PAC to help it pass, that's why only 50 million of close to a billion will go to it.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

PAC Construction

Post by WoodDraw »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Giving $50 to someone who doesn't need it doesn't make much sense. Did the PAC ask for it or was it just given?
Don't hold me to this but I believe it was just tacked on. I'm sure it was just a move to get the KC art community behind the vote.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

PAC Construction

Post by trailerkid »

WoodDraw wrote:
Don't hold me to this but I believe it was just tacked on. I'm sure it was just a move to get the KC art community behind the vote.
In all honesty, I think the renovations at the K were tacked on also. From what I've heard Lamar Hunt is using the Royals as leverage to get money for Arrowhead. And Glass isn't complaining...
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

PAC Construction

Post by tat2kc »

Since half the money is to go to the arts, the PAC is a tangible project that people can look at and understand. Of course 50 million would help them reach the goal. Without it, it'll be more fundraising and looking for donors. This infusion of money would allow the PAC to shift some of its focus to things other than fundraising. I have no problem with a metro wide tax to pay for this. Its not a make or break issue, but it will make their job a hell of a lot easier.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PAC Construction

Post by dangerboy »

The $50 million would be very helpful for endowment and ongoing operation/maintenance. Everyone knows that our region is really good at building stuff and really bad at maintaining it, so the Bistate would definitely be a boost for the PAC, even if they don't need it for the initial construction.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

PAC Construction

Post by KCPowercat »

I just get the feeling JIK is not depending on this money...I mean if she really needed it, would she be publically stating they didn't need it? Shouldn't she at the huge news conference yesterday begging for the citizens to approve the bs?

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

PAC Construction

Post by ComandanteCero »

I think that even beyond that she probably recognizes that it was tacked on as a way of getting the whole thing passed and just doesn't want to play that game where a vote for arts is a vote for the status quo. The PAC would benefit a lot more from the increased downtown investment due to a new downtown baseball stadium than renovations to the Truman Sports Complex. So I would say it's not that they don't need the money in the long run, it's just that they can afford to do without for now (and maybe if Bi-state fails, get a better more pro-downtown piece of legislature going that includes arts and PAC funding)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.