Grilling in City Market Park

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
smh
Supporter

Grilling in City Market Park

Post by smh »

I have a barbecue grill in the storage area of my building that I've been itching to use since I moved to KC.

Does anyone know if you can grill in City Market Park--or any park for that matter? I've looked up and down the KC Parks and Rec website. It is immensely unhelpful on this point.

My plan is to just wheel the grill up there some Saturday and have a BBQ. No big deal, just an opportunity to cook meat over flames and connect with my manliness--theoretically.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Grilling in City Market Park

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Not aware of any rules but I would think this would be a great instance of "ask forgiveness not permission" should anyone say anything.  Take some water in case anyone questions you, at least they will see you as responsible. Oh and let me know what time to come.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

i live across the street from that park and have never seen anybody grilling. not to say you can't, but nobody EVER does. You'd think it'd happen once in a while if it was kosher.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Well, watch your manliness around those hot coals, ok?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i live across the street from that park and have never seen anybody grilling. not to say you can't, but nobody EVER does. You'd think it'd happen once in a while if it was kosher.
My theory was that most people wouldn't buy a grill just to wheel it up the street a couple of times a year. Whereas I already have the grill. Don't know, that was just what I figured on the lack of frequency of others grilling.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

start a tradition. marching bbq grills.
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

It's not a city park. Just call the City Market office, 842-1271, if you have a question. I've seen people grill there...I've even seen people pick up after themselves.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

You can grill in City parks for sure.  Some have alcohol rules posted but cooking meat is aok.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Thaine wrote: You can grill in City parks for sure.  Some have alcohol rules posted but cooking meat is aok.
This isn't a city park.  It's part of the City Market and is managed by Copaken along with the  market.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

I understand.  :P
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It appears likely that I'll be going the "ask for forgiveness, not permission" route. But don't consider the question answered! I'd be more than pleased to hear anyone else's additional opinions.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

smh wrote: It appears likely that I'll be going the "ask for forgiveness, not permission" route. But don't consider the question answered! I'd be more than pleased to hear anyone else's additional opinions.
Have you thought of calling City Market office and asking what the rules are?  Seems you could answer your question with about 5 minutes of work.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

smh wrote: I have a barbecue grill in the storage area of my building that I've been itching to use since I moved to KC.

Does anyone know if you can grill in City Market Park--or any park for that matter? I've looked up and down the KC Parks and Rec website. It is immensely unhelpful on this point.

My plan is to just wheel the grill up there some Saturday and have a BBQ. No big deal, just an opportunity to cook meat over flames and connect with my manliness--theoretically.
I smell a terrorist.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

dangerboy wrote: Have you thought of calling City Market office and asking what the rules are?  Seems you could answer your question with about 5 minutes of work.
I have thought about doing that, clearly it would be the responsible thing to do. But I really want to grill. I suppose somewhere in mind I believe that they will say no b/c everyone is so worried about liability and that somehow if I can just show them how safe it is they'll understand and change what I assume is the rule.

It's all perfectly logical...
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

I called. No prohibitions on grilling. So, go for it.

Just be sure my beer's really cold.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

towncow wrote: I called. No prohibitions on grilling. So, go for it.

Just be sure my beer's really cold.
Excellent! I'll be printing this post and carrying it in my pocket on grill day.

Is everyone cool with Keystone Ice?  :P