DST wants to build new KC P&L HQers on Empire Theater si

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I have never been inside the Empire Theatre, however, if it is just a fraction of what the Midland is, this would be a substantial loss.
A 200,000 s.f. building could be located adjacent to it. Based on current use of floor plates this could only be ten floors or pollibly less. About the size of an average anchor store in a mall.
I am glad that they would leave part of the facade, I am just curious what the state of the interior is.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

A 200,000 sq ft building would be about the size of that new building in Crown Center north of the Hyatt. It might crack ten stories if they build relativley small floor plates.

How about a more mixed used building with the upper floors being condos or a hotel?

I know, I'm dreaming.
Beltonhawk
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Beltonhawk »

Sounds like the Empire might be lost to politics:

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 539825.htm
The South Loop, which for years begged comparisons with the Bermuda Triangle, suddenly is bursting with redevelopment proposals.

This is, no doubt, a healthy thing — a clear signal that the long struggle to rebuild downtown is beginning to bear fruit. But that doesn't mean all the fruit hangs low, or the harvest won't be messy.

H&R Block's decision to move its world headquarters from the Country Club Plaza area to downtown, combined with the voters' decision to help finance the new Sprint Center arena, are increasingly seen as a tipping points in terms of downtown reinvestment.

An influx of private-sector support for downtown redevelopment from companies with no historic ties to downtown — from Block, Sprint, arena developer Anschutz Entertainment Group of Los Angeles, and entertainment district developer Cordish Co. of Baltimore — offers a more inviting environment for others to invest.

In theory, at least, each investment encourages another — reversing the damaging psychology of disinvestment, and creating new value across a much broader area.

Indeed, there's a buzz about downtown that seems almost miraculous for someone who has spent much of the past two decades chronicling its struggles. You can hear it in the Crossroads, at open houses for loft projects and hoisting highballs at Harry's Country Club in the River Market. There is an almost palpable sense that this time things really are coming together downtown.

The recent surge in redevelopment interest, however, means that nothing is set in stone. For proof, simply witness the action surrounding plans for an entertainment district in the heart of the South Loop.

Two weeks ago, Cordish Co. announced that it plans to accelerate development of housing, building an initial 200-unit condominium tower concurrent with the entertainment district, rather then waiting to build housing in later phases.

Last week, word came that DST Realty has told city officials it would like to build an office complex for Kansas City Power & Light on the Empire Theater block. DST controls the west half of the block, while developer Larry Bridges, who has worked with DST in the past, controls the Empire.

The still-informal DST proposal would require a change in the entertainment district plan, which currently calls for a live music venue in the Empire. Most of the Empire would be demolished to make way for the office complex.

The DST proposal is politically sensitive. DST, you see, is no newcomer to downtown revitalization.

During the South Loop's darkest days, DST chief executive Tom McDonnell and his colleagues were showing the redevelopment way on the west side of downtown.

Rather than build gargantuan edifices that reached for the sky, DST developed and rehabilitated low-slung buildings that related to street level and incorporated the existing urban fabric at every turn. As a result of DST's brick-by-brick, block-by-block approach, the west side of downtown feels lived in, more like an organic urban neighborhood.

And when the city needed to land bank property in the South Loop to help lay the groundwork for Block, the entertainment district and the arena, DST stepped up to quietly assemble much of the property.

In short, DST's proposal for the Empire block will get a careful hearing from city officials. But it's not an easy call, and not just because DST has been a friend of City Hall. The city still needs land controlled by DST to pursue all its plans.

The most vexing policy issue for city officials is the fact that KCP&L, another longtime downtown stalwart, would be moving only a couple of blocks from 1201 Walnut to a new building on the Empire block. And using tax incentives to accommodate such a move would, at least temporarily, exacerbate a downtown office vacancy that Colliers International currently pegs at 23.9 percent.

The counterargument is that downtown's housing surge, combined with the arena, entertainment district and other projects, ultimately will make the area so inviting that vacant offices will fill up. Word also is that KCP&L would rather own than rent at 1201 Walnut, so a move appears likely either way.

DST supporters also note that plans for the entertainment district already have been modified to carve out room for renovation of the President Hotel. The President would have been demolished under earlier versions of the redevelopment plan.

Almost unnoticed in all of this back-and-forth is the fact that the mix of uses for the entertainment district could be modified by all the proposed changes.

The Cordish plan currently calls for 425,000 square feet of retail and entertainment uses in the initial phase of its Kansas City Live plan. Carving out the Empire block predominantly for office use and accelerating housing construction probably will alter that mix. That change could generate more neighborhood foot traffic for the entertainment district. But it may also require a reduction in the amount of retail space designed to generate the sales tax revenue to help subsidize parking in the area.

Long story short, even the plans for rebuilding downtown are still under construction.

To reach Chris Lester,

assistant managing editor-business, call (816) 234-4424 or send

e-mail to clester@kcstar.com.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I can't turn my back for a minute before these developers are plotting to tear this theater down. What is wrong with these people? They have a landmark -- a virtual jewel -- in their hands and they want to tear it down?

I agree with the statements about KCPL being able to build their headquarters on at least a half dozen other locations. The primary reason that Larry Bridges and DST are proposing it be built on the Empire parcel is because THEY own it. There are plenty of other empty parcels where it would be better placed. The problem is that they don't own them. The Empire cannot be replaced. Sorry boys. Move on. Kansas Citians and city leaders must put their foot down.

I brought the issue of the trees growing on the roof to the attention of members of the city council. Nothing was done about them. However, I also made a stink about the deterioration of the west wall of the Empire, and it was patched soon afterwards.

This new plan is rather sneaky in my estimation. If DST assembled land for the city for the arena and P&L entertainment district, then they certainly could have bought Larry Bridges out and placed the Empire into the redevelopment plan. If one goes back and looks at many of the renderings of the entertainment district, the Empire was always included in them. I think this gave many Kansas Citians the impression that it would be saved. Several newspaper articles also mentioned the Empire in the plan.

I have no objection to DST building a new headquarters for KCPL on that vacant lot west of the Empire where the old Armacost garage once stood. That parcel is large enough for an office tower. They don't need the entire block -- not at the expense of losing another historic building.

The city should not go along with their KCPL plan for the Empire parcel. If Bridges and DST threaten to use the P&L and arena blocks as leverage over the city to get their way, then the city should take that land--and the theater--using the power of eminent domain. See how they like that! No one seems to have a problem using that power over the owners of the Main St. morgue building, the KC Formal Wear store, and the Goldmine. See how they like it when it's turned on them.

The Empire Theater is not so badly deteriorated that it cannot be salvaged. Buildings in much worse shape have been. It is very likely that once the layers of past renovations are peeled away, many of the original elements will still remain. Some historic structures with significant fire damage have been saved. Union Station had a great deal of water damage to the roof, and even significant damage to the iron beam structures. Whole sections of the plastered roof design were gone. They were recreated.
There is no fifth destination.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Another option is arrising that would put KCP&L's new building on Baltimore south of 14th where they own property.

Only thing I think can think is it's the block directly south of the P&L building now.

This could be cheaper for them to build a HQ instead of the empire theatre and leave the theatre to it's original cordish purpose.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote:Another option is arrising that would put KCP&L's new building on Baltimore south of 14th where they own property.

Only thing I think can think is it's the block directly south of the P&L building now.

This could be cheaper for them to build a HQ instead of the empire theatre and leave the theatre to it's original cordish purpose.

Wouldn't that box in the convention center and eliminate a block it had been targeting for future expansion?

Still I'd rather see that than the Empire not used for Cordish's purpose.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think that future expansion block has been pretty much eliminated. I believe there are plans for a huge parking garage just to the south of 670 on that block for the PAC.

I think Bartle's future expansion would go somewhere else but can't remember where...I'll try and look up the article.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well here is Grid talking about it....I thought I heard it somewhere else as well

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/kcforum/vi ... ing+garage

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I saw an article in the Business Journal that reported Andi Udris was trying to negotiate with DST about leaving the Empire in the entertainment district plan, and building the P&L headquarters in another location. That parcel on the SW corner of Baltimore and 14th was mentioned--where the Bartle Hall Expansion would have gone.

I'd love to see the P&L headquarters go somewhere on the east side of the loop--like on Locust between 10th and 11th. Other good locations would be where that ugly parking garage is on the NE corner of 11th and Grand; and the on NE corner of 13th and Grand where the pink pig barbeque place is now. I have a feeling that Great Plains wants it built close to the entertainment district.

It would be cool to see them design and built some modern interpretation of the old P&L building.
There is no fifth destination.