I wanna build or buy a new house in the northland BUT.....

Talk about the ever expanding north side of KC.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I first became interested in this site when I lived in Overland Park and had gotten married with a baby on the way(fall 2002). Many of you may or may not know that I work for Sprint and my wife works for NKC Hospital. After getting married and my wife having our baby in July 2003 we moved to the typical split level in KC North just west of Liberty. Anyways we're faced with a new dilemma and what better site to go for answers than this one. In October my job with Sprint moves from 435 & Holmes in SKC to either Lenexa(112th & I-35) or Gawd forbid Gardner. Anyways here's what I'm trying to accomplish:

1. Stay in Missouri(preferably KCMO)
2. My wife works at NKC Hospital and is oncall a few times a week so we need to be within 20 minutes of the hospital.
3. I need good schools. Hopefully we live in this house a little longer than 12 months.
4. Want a new or recently built(since 2000) single family home with 3-4 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms going for 180k-210k.
5. Good highway access.

That being said right now the only place I'm really looking is this subdivision about a mile or so north of Park Hill South high school off 635 & 9 Hwy. I'm not the most knowledable person about Platte County or Southern Clay so any other advice would seriously be considered. Thanks for everyone's help in advance.
Calling a spade a spade.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Just about anything in the I-29 corridor would be pretty awesome. If I move again, I plan on moving back to that area. Once the finish rebuilding 635 it's a very quick shot to the KS burbs from there.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I live just off of 45 Highway and I29.

I can easily make it to 87th and I35 in 20 minutes. I go I29/635/35. The busiest part is always the merge onto 35.

A good thing to do might be to use MAPQUEST.

Put in the address of your work and the address of the house you are looking at. That would give you some idea of the commute.

Then you could find shortcuts too.

Feel free to PM me if you wish. I know lots of people here in the Northland including some nurses at NKC Hospital.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah I'd say the I-29 corridor is your spot.

My streets and trips program has a thing called a drivetime zone where you pick a location and tell it to draw a box around a X amount of time to get there. I picked a street across from riss lake on 45 highway off i29 and NKC hospital is well within that 20 minute drivetime zone.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

I picked a street across from riss lake on 45 highway off i29 and NKC hospital is well within that 20 minute drivetime zone.
KCP, how far down the 635 corridor did it go?
Calling a spade a spade.
Slappy the Wang
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: I wanna build or buy a new house in the northland BUT...

Post by Slappy the Wang »

ShowME wrote:
2. My wife works at NKC Hospital and is oncall a few times a week so we need to be within 20 minutes of the hospital.
3. I need good schools. Hopefully we live in this house a little longer than 12 months.
4. Want a new or recently built(since 2000) single family home with 3-4 bedrooms and 2-3 bathrooms going for 180k-210k.
5. Good highway access.
That's just about anywhere in the Northland, but it screams Shoal Creek.
Be green or go Broke Tryin'
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

little south of metropolitan ave. that is going 72 mph on the highway.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: I wanna build or buy a new house in the northland BUT...

Post by nota »

Slappy the Wang wrote:
ShowME wrote:
5. Good highway access.
That's just about anywhere in the Northland, but it screams Shoal Creek.
I'm thinking Shoal Creek is above the price range he gave. At least for the specs he gave.

Park Hill schools are as good if not better than Liberty anyway.

From the location he first gave, it is a straight shot to NKC Hospital too.
sethyg
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by sethyg »

I recently lived in the Northland. My place was in Bristol Park, which was at 169 and Cookingham Drive. You have access to 169, 435, and the airport (from Cookingham). A lot of the schools in the North Land are great and it was a 15 minute drive from downtown KC. They're still building phases in the sub division and my home sold for 167,950 in January. If you'd like more information, just let me know. Good luck.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Bristol Park is a good subdivision and in a good location. Easy access to a lot of places for sure.

But it is quite a lot NORTH for someone who has to drive all the way to "South County" for work.
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Put money down on a lot this afternoon. Stayed with Brenner's Ridge off 635 & 9 hwy about a mile or two north of Park Hill South High School. Just couldn't pass this place up. Hopefully the builder will break ground sometime in late fall. Thanks for all the input.
Calling a spade a spade.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So is that KCMO, Parkville or Riverside? Regardless, great news and good luck!
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

You're in a good location for the commuting for both of you.

Good job!
Sonfire
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sonfire »

Well, Kearney's full of development... it's just 17 minutes from Kansas City (North Kansas City isn't far off). Our schools are good... their site is bad (but you can still check it out here. Liberty is also a good city to check out. It's a bit closer and has the same quality of schools. Kearney is for small-town people... Liberty is a slightly larger city. We've got access to I-35 and 92 highway, and 33 highway.
"Your stupid."
"My stupid what?"

"Y-o-u-r... y-o-u-apostrophe-r-e... they're as different as night and day.  Don't you think that night and day are different?  What's wrong with you?"
-Strong Bad
ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Our lot is the first house going into a cul-de-sac and is KCMO. Everyone else inside the cul-de-sac is in Riverside. Subdivision will have around 40-45 houses when fully built which will probably be late fall '05. Probably 30 houses are KCMO and 15 are Riverside. I can't think of anywhere in the immediate metro that I can't be in 20-25 mins.
Calling a spade a spade.