OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Post by dangerboy »

KCPowercat wrote: legends is securing themselves as the metro's premier (and only?) outlet mall.
Yup.  The Odessa outlet mall is mostly dead now.  But is "premier outlet mall" a good thing?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote: legends is securing themselves as the metro's premier (and only?) outlet mall.
Mall of the Plains, or whatever it's called, in Olathe - or is that mostly dead now too?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote: Mall of the Plains, or whatever it's called, in Olathe - or is that mostly dead now too?
i'm sure there's a plan somewhere to tear it down and start over.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Could have gotten the Wizard's to go there.
Just another option in Kansas City,KS to buy Wizard's stuff if they will carry them but one less place in Olathe to by Clothes at the moment.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Now Block & Co. Inc. Realtors has announced more tenants for its center at 10500 Parallel Parkway: Kohl's, Michaels-The Arts and Crafts Store, Petsmart, Chick-fil-A, Taco Bell and Olive Garden.
Last edited by mgsports on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

trailerkid wrote: cleat'z is cloz'd .

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/4704
Didn't even realize there was a sports bar there.  Went to Stix the other night...the whole area was jam packed.  Seems like most of the restaurants are still doing good.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcmetro wrote: Didn't even realize there was a sports bar there. 
Yeah, doesn't seem like they have done a very good job of publicizing the newer openings and re-conpepts that have occurred. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Some restaurants at VW seem to be packed everytime I go, while other just seem like ghost towns. Stix seems to do quite well every time I'm there. I've been to Ted's twice and it has been nearly completely empty each time.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I'm sure those places are all chompin at the bit for thousands of workers every day. Try to hold on until the people come.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
valcour
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by valcour »

DaveKCMO wrote: i'm sure there's a plan somewhere to tear it down and start over.
What is being discussed in the Olathe comprehensive plan is keeping the shells of the anchor stores and demolishing the in-between areas of the mall to create an open pedestrian shopping area like the Legends.  I would rather they keep the mall and gut it and redo it, but that is probably just wishful thinking.  The only remaining anchor tenants are Burlington Coat Factory and Dickinson Theatres.  They have four kid's play area type stores and only a few remaining decent clothing stores.  It is around 70% empty.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

What they need to do is get some more Anchors stores that aren't in that part of Olathe or not in Olathe yet like Books A Million or Barnes and Noble,Hobby Lobby,Lowe's,Kohl's and so on.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Backfire BBQ Featuring Orange County Choppers opened Monday.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/story/1616762.html
Backfire BBQ has gone full throttle, developing a menu under the culinary direction of Chicago?s Levy Restaurants, which oversees such award-winning restaurants as Spiaggia and Bistro 110 in that city....

The 8,300 square-foot operation at 1855 Village West Parkway (just 20 yards from T-Rex) seats 300 people amid custom-built choppers by Orange County Choppers, an open flame "hog pit," 14 plasma televisions and artwork. It will have live music Thursday through Saturday nights.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

We tried out Backfire last night. I predict it will do very well, but without my business.

The place looks very cool. It's decorated in motorcycles. I thought the handlebar faucet handles in the bathrooms were cheesy, but everyone else liked them, so I guess I'm wrong.

We started with buffalo wings which were pretty standard. It's hard to mess up wings.

They have a pretty good beer list. I can't fault them on that.

Our server was very friendly, but couldn't tell me if they served spare ribs or baby backs. The answer is St Louis style spare ribs. He should have known that. This is pretty basic stuff.

I'm kind of a bbq snob, but even my wife agreed that the ribs had no flavor. They may have the biggest smoker in the metro, but size isn't everything. Cute names like "Ribs for your pleasure" only work if the food is good enough to back it up. It isn't. Our fries were soggy and their pickles are the nasty sweet bread and butter type. Ugh!

It's mediocre bbq with a slick look. It should be perfect for the Legends. Just don't make me eat there.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I think it is telling that the Legends was able to find a replacement tenant (VFW) for the former Linens N Things space relatively quickly. Even more telling is that it is a tenant relocating from the former Great Mall in Olathe.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody is doubting Legends is the premier outlet mall in the metro.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

KCPowercat wrote: Nobody is doubting Legends is the premier outlet mall in the metro.
Quit trolling.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

that doesn't make any sense....I was backing up your comment on how fast that store moved north to the legends.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: that doesn't make any sense....I was backing up your comment on how fast that store moved north to the legends.
Quit trolling.
KC is the way to be!
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

Interesting tidbit from my parents. They went to Pride of Kansas City store so my mom could spend 20 dollars a package on little cotton balls tied to fishing string so she could put "snow" on her Christmas Tree. I had talked her out of buying them a few weeks before by telling her I could make them for her  :lol:

Anyways she convinced my dad to take her back to buy them and she ended getting them on sale because they are closing at the Legends and moving their store.

The reason they allegedly gave was that the Legends was refusing to renew their lease because they wanted their space for a national tenant. They also told my parents that Legends is allegedly trying to run out all the locally owned stores and replace them with national tenants.

Now I found this all very hard to believe given that there are still quite a few vacant spaces around the center that could accommodate new  retailers interested in locating there without them having to force out existing tenants.

If it is true I will be very dissappointed in RED as I myself much hyped their efforts to bring in local merchants to the Legends.
One of those locals is Kansas City KS's own Mema's Bakery which has proved such a success that they have opened a second location in the Power and Light District in KC MO. I certainly hope they are not going to try and run them out.

May be it is just a case of Pride of Kansas City not pulling their weight. I don't know. Time will tell.

Oh yeah. And what ever happened to that Hot Dog Hall of Fame? I was really excited about that one.  :)
Last edited by justin8216 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.