Re: Ramp metering coming to KC

Post by DaveKCMO »

did anyone go to the meeting?
kcnewbie
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcnewbie »

It is always nice for KC to acquire big-city amenities like ramp-metering. They should add HOV/Express lanes on I-435, I-35 and I-70. This will really impress out-of-town visitors from places like Omaha, Joplin, Des Moines, etc.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcnewbie wrote: It is always nice for KC to acquire big-city amenities like ramp-metering. They should add HOV/Express lanes on I-435, I-35 and I-70. This will really impress out-of-town visitors from places like Omaha, Joplin, Des Moines, etc.

COSIGN.

who fucking cares? this freeway needs to be destroyed rather than have expensive toys added.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Ramp metering is a good thing, ESPECIALLY in KC where people simply can not get up to speed or merge onto freeways without causing problems.  HOV lanes are a total waste of money and space, ESPECIALLY in a place like KC.

I've said it before and now after living in DC for a month, I'll say it again.  Outside the north/south linear core of KCMO, there is zero need for commuter rail, HOV lanes etc in metro KC.  None.

I feel like a broken record here, but once again.

Build a light rail or modern street car or BRT spine in the RCP, then build a high quality, comprehensive bus system that primarily uses existing infrastructure (shoulders etc).  And you have something.

But I look forward to the ramp metering in KC.  Getting on highways in KC is just so dangerous.  I think most things about KC drivers are pretty average, but there are a few exceptions.

Not being able to get on a freeway is number one and forcing the people that do know how to follow suit.  Followed by excessive cell phone use and then simply driving unnecessarily slow on freeways, especially in left lanes.

There is nothing worse or more dangerous than having to follow somebody up (or even down) a ramp onto a busy urban freeway going 40mph.  Nothing.  Hopefully they meter the ramps 24/7.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: Ramp metering is a good thing, ESPECIALLY in KC where people simply can not get up to speed or merge onto freeways without causing problems.  HOV lanes are a total waste of money and space, ESPECIALLY in a place like KC.

I've said it before and now after living in DC for a month, I'll say it again.  Outside the north/south linear core of KCMO, there is zero need for commuter rail, HOV lanes etc in metro KC.  None.

I feel like a broken record here, but once again.

Build a light rail or modern street car or BRT spine in the RCP, then build a high quality, comprehensive bus system that primarily uses existing infrastructure (shoulders etc).  And you have something.

But I look forward to the ramp metering in KC.  Getting on highways in KC is just so dangerous.  I think most things about KC drivers are pretty average, but there are a few exceptions.

Not being able to get on a freeway is number one and forcing the people that do know how to follow suit.  Followed by excessive cell phone use and then simply driving unnecessarily slow on freeways, especially in left lanes.

There is nothing worse or more dangerous than having to follow somebody up (or even down) a ramp onto a busy urban freeway going 40mph.  Nothing.  Hopefully they meter the ramps 24/7.
Agree 100%.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote:There is nothing worse or more dangerous than having to follow somebody up (or even down) a ramp onto a busy urban freeway going 40mph.  Nothing.  Hopefully they meter the ramps 24/7.
Only because the assholes on the freeway are going 70 in a 45...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

GRID wrote:There is nothing worse or more dangerous than having to follow somebody up (or even down) a ramp onto a busy urban freeway going 40mph.  Nothing.
I think stomach cancer would probably be worse.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

looks like work has started on these on 435 and Roe.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

forgot to mention i saw what looked like a completed ramp meter (no crossing arm, just lights?) at eastbound on-ramp of 435 and wornall over the weekend.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

ones in Milwaukee are just lights, no arms
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

no arms on these (or any other ramp meters i've ever seen), just lights.  the delay is usually only 3-6 seconds.  a moving arm would take longer than that.

they look like they're on schedule for november.  it'll be freaking hilarious the first day these turn on.  "OMG WHAT DO I DO?!"
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've seen arms in LA or phoenix, can't remember which. they were tiny, like in a parking garage. that was years ago, however.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

DaveKCMO wrote: forgot to mention i saw what looked like a completed ramp meter (no crossing arm, just lights?) at eastbound on-ramp of 435 and wornall over the weekend.
Don't worry, they'll probably have photo cameras too, which will in turn cause more accidents via rear ending bumper fucks, just like they do on normal intersections.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

you guys are too cynical. They actually do work.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Don't worry, they'll probably have photo cameras too, which will in turn cause more accidents via rear ending bumper fucks, just like they do on normal intersections.
actually, we did see a camera. looked just like the red light cameras KCMO is using.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Don't worry, they'll probably have photo cameras too, which will in turn cause more accidents via rear ending bumper fucks, just like they do on normal intersections.
Rear end collisions are much better than T-Bone collisions, which kill people.  A few more fender benders in exchange for a dramatic drop in serious, deadly crashes is a pretty good tradeoff.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

dangerboy wrote: Rear end collisions are much better than T-Bone collisions, which kill people.  A few more fender benders in exchange for a dramatic drop in serious, deadly crashes is a pretty good tradeoff.
Absolutely.  However, studies I've heard about say that longer yellow lights accomplish the same thing and have the least rate of accidents of all methods.  I'm not sure I can find any proof online, but I remember hearing it somewhere.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Found some support...feel free to move to a red light camera thread.
"Even defenders of photo enforcement acknowledge studies showing that red-light cameras (which are designed to be conspicuous to motorists) lead to an increase in rear-end collisions as drivers slam on the brakes. Defenders claim the trade-off is still a net gain because of reduced deadly T-bones in the middle of the intersection. But the real lesson may be that both types of accidents would be reduced by a longer yellow."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123975737976619187.html

And another...
"One Way to Reduce Red Light Running: Longer Yellow Lights

Researchers have found that longer yellow lights result in drivers running red lights less frequently. For example, one study by the Texas Transportation Institute found that an increase in yellow light duration of 1 second corresponds to a 40 percent reduction in crashes.

Intuitively, this makes sense. The extended time gives drivers more time to make decisions and gives drivers that are close to the light more time to make it through the light without concern. Drivers that are further away from the light have more notice that they need to stop."
http://knowledgebase.findlaw.com/kb/200 ... 154_1.html

And besides.  If you get rear ended because you stopped too abruptly, and someone pushes you out into the intersection, a t-bone could still occur.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

DaveKCMO wrote: i've seen arms in LA or phoenix, can't remember which. they were tiny, like in a parking garage. that was years ago, however.
We don't have arms.  We usually have two little lanes and the lights are just long enough to pull up and come to a complete stop while the other light next to you is turning.  The car ahead of you is usually about to the end of the ramp when you start moving.  It doesn't work badly here.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

saw these are ready to go at 435 and Wornall. Can't wait to see the JOCO grandma's/Cougars struggle with these.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain