Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Cosentino's Grocery downtown

Post by bobbyhawks »

WSPanic wrote: I've found that to be true in almost every grocery store - even Dean/Deluca.

I thought the pasta special I had one day at Cosentino's downtown was awful. Bland and awful.
The jerk chicken wings sucked too.  Poorly cooked and rubbery, but that was my fault for expecting grocery store chicken wings to be decent.  They are a huge ripoff, too.  I could get wings from the Peanut for much cheaper.  This was for dinner time, though, and I don't think they are putting the same effort into many of their dinner items, which have been sitting out all day.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Their pizza is good, and I've had good luck with their prime rib and with their beef tips. 

They have at least 3 different types of chicken strips.  Some I like, others I don't.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I just want to take a moment to reiterate how much I love this store.  I often swing by on my way back to midtown from work (in NKC), and not only is the store itself top-notch, with decent prices, a very good beer/liquor selection, and everything I generally need, but the service really is consistently high-quality and the store has become quite an energy-generator on that corner. 

It is almost universally busy when I make it in, and to this day it makes me smile that DT landed such a well-designed and (seemingly) popular nieghborhood amenity.  I hope they're raking in some bucks, as this store is easily one of the most impressive components of P&L to me.  Would be interesting to see how their sales at the DT location compare to Brookside or others, both in gross terms and types of sales.
are we spinning free?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

On-line orders and grocery delivery/pick-up is now available. www.cosentinos.com
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Impressive how you can search through the SKU's.  Very impressive.  I was able to find any stock item.  But couldn't get a gyro. :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That is awesome...I like going into the store but I can see this as very popular for downtown workers.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I can see how this will be very convenient, but I hope it won't hinder all of the life that has been brought to downtown at night both at 13th and Main and in all directions with people walking their groceries home.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

staubio wrote: I can see how this will be very convenient, but I hope it won't hinder all of the life that has been brought to downtown at night both at 13th and Main and in all directions with people walking their groceries home.
I don't think it's really going to hinder the "people walking their groceries home" crowd all that much.  It's $7 for them to pick all the groceries for you and bring them out, and an additional $10 if you want them delivered.  Maybe people who live in the area will use it occasionally, or maybe I'm being subjective since I don't think I'd use it, but I don't think it will take away from much of the foot traffic.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

When I worked for HyVee delivery was wildly popular with two types of people: elderly who didn't drive and rich lawyer types that didn't want the hassel of shopping
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

PumpkinStalker wrote: When I worked for HyVee delivery was wildly popular with two types of people: elderly who didn't drive and rich lawyer types that didn't want the hassel of shopping
Ha! I used to be a delivery driver for Muehlebach's on 55th st., delivering to all the old dowagers on the Plaza.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

I can see this coming in handy in the winter, or for maybe having heavy items delivered like pop, beer, etc. and walking for the lighter stuff as you need it.  Personally, I like actually going to the store. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We haven't had the local media followup on how cosentino's is doing but I found this obscure site via my google search alerts.

http://thepacker.com/New-downtown-Kansa ... rc=special

Wish the local media would do these feel good stories about how successful they are...the evil side of me says they aren't doing a story because its not a 'look at downtown fail' type story..

Either way...great to hear they are pleased with business.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

That is good to hear.

You always thumb through produce trade mags?   :)  Gotta love the name The Packer.   :lol:

Hopefully Cordish is parading those qoutes to every retail tenant prospect they come in contact with. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: We haven't had the local media followup on how cosentino's is doing but I found this obscure site via my google search alerts.

http://thepacker.com/New-downtown-Kansa ... rc=special

Wish the local media would do these feel good stories about how successful they are...the evil side of me says they aren't doing a story because its not a 'look at downtown fail' type story..

Either way...great to hear they are pleased with business.
it would be news if cosentino's sent them a press release.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

THAT is what I call solid journalism :)

Lenexa....I have a google search for 'downtown kc' I get all new google hits on....find some really cool stuff.  I did chuckle at 'the packer'

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

"We've performed better than expectations," said Mark Lenz, the store's director. "Our customer count has been the same since day one. I'd still like to see more people living downtown, but I think they're coming."

KMBC9: MANAGER OF DOWNTOWN COSENTINO'S BLAMES EMPTY DOWNTOWN FOR STAGNANT SALES

"Is our produce shopping good?" Nelson asked rhetorically. "Yes. Could it be better? You bet it could. But it's been real steady from day one."

WDAF4: COSENTINO'S PRODUCE SECTION FAILING TO MEET EXPECTATIONS

"We offer whole watermelon, but don't sell it. It's all cut. It's what everyone is looking for down here."

KCTV5: MAN BRANDISHES KNIFE IN DOWNTOWN GROCER
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

"It's fun, it's new, it's just been great," Lenz said.

KSHB41: ONLINE MAGIZINE WITH FUNNY GAY NAME GIVES REVIEWS OF COSENTINO'S HUGE MELONS.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Biz Journal this week has a Q&A with John C.....basically it sounds like they are right where they thought they would be as far as sales.  he says their per customer transaction is 1/2 their normal store but he says people come in twice as often....prepped foods and liquor are doing a killing for them...they still hope (& are expecting) more grocery shopping (non-prepped food) as they and the neighborhood grow.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Biz Journal this week has a Q&A with John C.....basically it sounds like they are right where they thought they would be as far as sales.  he says their per customer transaction is 1/2 their normal store but he says people come in twice as often....prepped foods and liquor are doing a killing for them...they still hope (& are expecting) more grocery shopping (non-prepped food) as they and the neighborhood grow.
where is the neighborhood growing? 100% serious question.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

trailerkid wrote: where is the neighborhood growing? 100% serious question.
I just moved downtown two weeks ago.  Young couple was in my elevator with a realtor yesterday looking at a unit in Wallstreet Tower. 

My brother just moved downtown on Saturday.