hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by Midtownkid »

Did they add nice path lights in Gillham Park like at Mill Creek?
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

chrizow wrote: crews are still hard at work in gillham park.  it doesn't seem like they are adding the soft surface to the paths though.  they have re-paved the existing paths, and i guess are still working on expanding them.  aren't the paths at loose park sort of bouncy like a good running track? 

i've heard anecdotally that crime has palpably increased in hyde park, and i think this is clear in the Armour Blvd area.  any info regarding other parts of the neighborhood? 
anecdotally, we got broken into about a month ago and our friend that lives near gillham park had his car broken into over the weekend...
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

midtown wrote: anecdotally, we got broken into about a month ago and our friend that lives near gillham park had his car broken into over the weekend...
That's terrible news, sorry you had to deal with that.  There have been a few back door break ins in Pendleton Heights earlier this summer.  Did the crooks break into your house that way?  Our neighborhood association had someone from Jamb Brace come out and talk about their product that helps deter this kind of thing.  We installed one along with an industrial grade deadbolt + strike plate, and we also reinforced the area beneath the hinges with 4" sunken screws.  Our front door is next, but I can safely say that our backdoor is probably the hardest one in PH to break down now.  :lol:

www.jambbrace.com
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

:shock:

alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Yeah, I know- that's priceless, isn't it?  :lol:

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention, you can make one of those jamb brace-style things yourself if you've got the tools and the time for under $10. 
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

alpha_glamourina wrote: Yeah, I know- that's priceless, isn't it?   :lol:

Oh, btw, I forgot to mention, you can make one of those jamb brace-style things yourself if you've got the tools and the time for under $10.   
With marketing like that, I'd suggest you make your own! Wow.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

nope - forced open a window.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i encourage everyone who lives in hyde park to come to the next general HPNA meeting, which takes place tuesday, 9/15 at the church at campbell and armour.  we will be discussing the ever-increasing crime issues facing armour (again).
Last edited by chrizow on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

nope - forced open a window.
Dude sorry you had to deal with this. Do you have a house alarm ? We do and thankfully nothing like that has happened.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

when i lived in Hyde Park my house was broken into TWICE in a year. Of course, that's probably because we were the new tenants of a recently remodeled crack-house (the landlord forgot to mention that when we toured the property). I also would have to deal with people trying to get in to "party", and finding people passed out on my lawn.  I ultimately moved away because i wanted to live in a building with secured entry. It's a shame because other than not feeling safe, i loved Hyde Park.

Hopefully you all can get this problem under control. Sending good vibes to you from River Market....
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

where did you live in hyde park, columbusparkian?

HP seems to be experiencing a weird spike in casing and burglaries right now, but in the year we've been in the neighborhood the crime rate has been equal to that in other parts of midtown.  the glaring exception is Armour Blvd, of course.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

i lived off of 36th and Walnut. 3616 Walnut, to be exact. I feel bad for anybody that moved in there after we did. The place looked beautiful inside, but it was all just a sham. nothing worked the way it was supposed to, and then there was all the crime.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ColumbusParkian wrote: i lived off of 36th and Walnut. 3616 Walnut, to be exact. I feel bad for anybody that moved in there after we did. The place looked beautiful inside, but it was all just a sham. nothing worked the way it was supposed to, and then there was all the crime.
that's actually Old Hyde Park, but the problems you describe have existed in Hyde Park as well. 

Old Hyde Park = between Broadway and Gillham, Hyde Park = between Gillham and Troost.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

oh i always thought Old Hyde Park was a sub-section of Hyde Park in general. Confusing...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ColumbusParkian wrote: oh i always thought Old Hyde Park was a sub-section of Hyde Park in general. Confusing...
it is confusing.  then wait until Voltopt comes on here and says that Old Hyde Park used to be called Hyde Park and Hyde Park was called Gillham Country Club or some shit.  South Hyde Park was "Sunny Slope" etc. :lol:

as far as i know, Old Hyde Park is Armour to 43rd (?), Broadway to Gillham.

Hyde Park is 31st to Cleaver, Gillham to Troost.  North Hyde Park is between 31st and Armour, Central Hyde Park is between Armour and 39th, and South Hyde Park is between 39th and Cleaver.  
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

chrizow wrote: it is confusing.  then wait until Voltopt comes on here and says that Old Hyde Park used to be called Hyde Park and Hyde Park was called Gillham Country Club or some shit.  South Hyde Park was "Sunny Slope" etc. :lol:

as far as i know, Old Hyde Park is Armour to 43rd (?), Broadway to Gillham.

Hyde Park is 31st to Cleaver, Gillham to Troost.  North Hyde Park is between 31st and Armour, Central Hyde Park is between Armour and 39th, and South Hyde Park is between 39th and Cleaver.  
This is why you guys can't have a Max stop - half of midtown would be arguing that it belongs on their block.  :lol:  "Hyde Park" is only slightly less broad and vague then "midtown" and "southtown". 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chrizow wrote: it is confusing.  then wait until Voltopt comes on here and says that Old Hyde Park used to be called Hyde Park and Hyde Park was called Gillham Country Club or some shit.  South Hyde Park was "Sunny Slope" etc. :lol:
Why would anyone want to steal the name Hyde Park?  It's so boring.  Seems if you wanted to rip something off you would choose something better, at least something that stood out from everyone else. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

"Old Hyde Park" was most recently "Broadway-Gillham" in terms of official neighborhood association naming.  It's Broadway to Gillham between 31st and Armour.  They renamed themselves "Old Hyde Park" because they thought it sounded better and "Hyde Park" is more well known, especially for real estate. 

Kinda like how some people say Brookside when they are really in Waldo.  I've even seen some agents refer to listings east of Troost as "East Brookside".
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

ThaMexican wrote: Dude sorry you had to deal with this. Do you have a house alarm ? We do and thankfully nothing like that has happened.
Yeah, they tore it off the wall, after which it was useless.  We've since cancelled our security contract.  after enough yelling, they waived the cancellation fee.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

midtown wrote: Yeah, they tore it off the wall, after which it was useless. 
was this ADT?  good to know those keypads are so durable.