B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by shinatoo »

phuqueue wrote: The rumbling just sort of feels like someone tapping their foot on your chair.  It can be kind of annoying, but it's not that disruptive.  I can't imagine spilling something as a result of the rumbling.
Ditto.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

wow. i didn't feel like that at all, and i'm one to dramatically turn around and shoot a nasty look if someone repeatedly taps the back of my seat.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

5:40 am, May 1st. Those camping out for movie passes.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Awesome, I always thought that people who did this were a little ridiculous (and need a job?) but if I could have got off work that day, I would have been there.  Free tickets for a year are worth it to me.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

Has anyone seen a movie in one of the cinemasuites?  I'm thinking about seeing Star Trek there but I'm worried about the theater having a small screen. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have. Screen seemed big enough to me.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

So I take it you enjoyed the cinemasuite experience?  The seats look amazing.  I just hope there aren't servers running in and out of the theater duirng the movie.  :) 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its awesome. The servers are good at staying out of sight.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

scartva wrote: Has anyone seen a movie in one of the cinemasuites?  I'm thinking about seeing Star Trek there but I'm worried about the theater having a small screen. 
quick quote:
GRID wrote: This place is absolutely fantastic.  We went last night and were very impressed.  We both had the cheddar burger and waffle fries in the cinema suite, not bad at all.

This will be our number one theater from here on out when we don’t have the kids.

Very well done AMC and Cordish.  Very nice.

I think this place will catch on by word of mouth and by mid-summer, you will have a hard time getting tickets to prime movies and times.  I would certainly think that would happen anyway.
I thought the idea of dining in a theater would be totally annoying.  People eating, waiters running around etc.

But the way this place is designed works great.  The isles are very large, there is enough of a rise in the stadium seating to keep the servers out of the way.  It’s just very spacious.  It’s not like seeing a moving in your own home theater, it’s better.

I also thought the seat rumblers are fine.  I freak out when people mess with my seat and I didn’t get that feeling at all.  It just seems like the theater has a lot bass sub woofers in it.

We will be going to these theater as much as we can.

We have only been in the cinema suite.  Can somebody tell the me the difference between the regular theaters and the suites?  Are they the same (seats etc) only without the full service?
Last edited by GRID on Wed May 06, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scartva
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by scartva »

Thanks!!  I appreciate the comments and am excited about seeing the movie there!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: We have only been in the cinema suite.  Can somebody tell the me the difference between the regular theaters and the suites?  Are they the same (seats etc) only without the full service?
The bottom 3 theaters look like your traditional mega-complex theater setup.

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

:shock:  WHOA!  Saw Star Trek for the second time today at the 1PM show at the Mainstreet.  Picture and audio were excellent and the rumble seats were pretty cool.  Worked well with what was going on.  They even reacted to some of the previews with GI Joe, Terminator Salvation and Transformers.  Even had a 3.00 off coupon for the #1 Combo.  Everything helps. 

SO, my issue with this post is the parking garage situation.  The last time I was there, I parked at Cosentino's and said I was eating there to get in free past the prepaid attendant.  Today, I again went to park at Cosentino's and punched the kiosk for a ticket since there was no attendant.  I had my ticket validated at the theater which said it was good for 4 hours.  After the show (so awesome), I run into some tourists and showed them around P&L and then dropped into Jos A Banks and the grocery store before leaving.  Upon my exit, I put in my ticket and the machine wanted $8.00!!!!  WTF?  I backed my car out of that and had to go into Cosentino's and the manager finally let me out using his gate pass. 

I don't know what is going on, but the validation at the AMC isn't working correctly.  At least at the Cosentino's garage which is where the KC Star article recommended.  UGH.  They better fix that validation issue!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Email cordish and amc. 

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

The $8 thing happened to me too, despite validation, despite it being an invitation event from AMC. I ended up eating the cost. And the stupid pay machine wouldn't take my ticket or ANY of my credit or debit cards, and when I pushed the help button, I got some schmoe's voicemail. And there was a car behind me waiting.

So when they backed up to go elsewhere, realizing I couldn't get past the gate, I backed up and went to the other exit from the Cosentino's garage and got out fine. That was all back on the night of April 22 if it matters.

One other thing of note - a bartender at the Marquee said they don't validate for the Cordish garage when I asked him, and that was last week. He seemed unsure about though, so they've all obviously got some coordination to do here.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Easily the biggest screw up of the entire district has been parking and communication to their customers...that is on cordish and the city.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I noticed today that they didn't plant street trees along Main in front of the Mainstreet Theater. I wonder why?  They did along Main between 13th and 14th streets.  There doesn't appear to be planting basins built into the sidewalk there either.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

geeman68 wrote: :shock:  WHOA!  Saw Star Trek for the second time today at the 1PM show at the Mainstreet.  Picture and audio were excellent and the rumble seats were pretty cool.  Worked well with what was going on.  They even reacted to some of the previews with GI Joe, Terminator Salvation and Transformers.  Even had a 3.00 off coupon for the #1 Combo.  Everything helps. 

SO, my issue with this post is the parking garage situation.  The last time I was there, I parked at Cosentino's and said I was eating there to get in free past the prepaid attendant.  Today, I again went to park at Cosentino's and punched the kiosk for a ticket since there was no attendant.  I had my ticket validated at the theater which said it was good for 4 hours.  After the show (so awesome), I run into some tourists and showed them around P&L and then dropped into Jos A Banks and the grocery store before leaving.  Upon my exit, I put in my ticket and the machine wanted $8.00!!!!  WTF?  I backed my car out of that and had to go into Cosentino's and the manager finally let me out using his gate pass. 

I don't know what is going on, but the validation at the AMC isn't working correctly.  At least at the Cosentino's garage which is where the KC Star article recommended.  UGH.  They better fix that validation issue!
Is public transit out of the question? One of the benefits of living in an urban area is not worrying about parking. Further, $8 sounds about right for multiple hours of parking in a brand new garage in the middle of downtown IMHO.

Parking on the street 2 blocks away is always an option too.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

So how are the crowds at the Main Street Theater?  Are they getting sell outs?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Not sure about sell outs but they were packed last night. We parked in Cosentinos for free when they asked where we were going. The cinema suites are awesome and everything went smooth.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

Highlander wrote: So how are the crowds at the Main Street Theater?  Are they getting sell outs?
Yes for the 2 movies I saw. Xmen and Star Trek.

The projectionist screwed up, when, at Fridays showing of Star Trek, they scrolled up X men instead of Star Trek. They quickly fixed the problem ...

Every thing went great from then on!

As for the parking, I too went to Cosentino's---bought something I need--and validated at Cosentino's. No problems.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre