B&B Mainstreet Theater

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: AMC coming to Empire, Midland to be restored...

Post by PumpkinStalker »

There are a grouping of people camping out on the sidewalk hoping to be the first hundred and get free tickets for a year. One has a full tent, another brought candles. Pretty interesting photo ops Toss...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

pstokely wrote: Do AMC gift cards or passes work here?

Yes.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I'll be going to my first non-Cinema Suites movie here tonight so I'll finally get to see what the fuss is about the downstairs seats.    Though my friend at AMC says they will get more comfortable as they get broken in.  Perhaps I better schedule a chair massage for tomorrow. ;)

One  is bugging me about the reserved seating.  While it's not an issue during a movie that's most likely going to be sold out, for less busy showtimes it's nice to be able to spread out.  Now your assigned seat might be right next to some stranger in a half-empty theater and spreading out risks having to move again if someone shows up lae assigned to the seat you pick.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

PumpkinStalker wrote: There are a grouping of people camping out on the sidewalk hoping to be the first hundred and get free tickets for a year. One has a full tent, another brought candles. Pretty interesting photo ops Toss...
Did do. Thanks Pumpkin. I must have gotten there at 5:30am. I hanged around for awhile and got some shots.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Went down and got my tickets on the way in from St. Louis last night. Still lots of seats left for the 9:45 X-Men showing. Kind of surprised me. They really need to get the online ticketing fixed unless they are wanting to have a light crowd opening night? or are wanting to assure there are walk up tickets available?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

shinatoo wrote: Went down and got my tickets on the way in from St. Louis last night. Still lots of seats left for the 9:45 X-Men showing. Kind of surprised me. They really need to get the online ticketing fixed unless they are wanting to have a light crowd opening night? or are wanting to assure there are walk up tickets available?
Yeah, I was surprised too when I got my 9:45 tix yesterday, when I did seat selection I discovered I was the first to buy any!  (Unless the screen doesn't reveal seats that are already taken.)  But, on the other hand, online purchasing has not been working and the doors to the box office were locked tight yesterday for a private event, so not many people may be noticing the outdoor kiosk tucked away in an alcove.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Wolverine was pretty good last night.  The alternate endings were very short but hinted at what's next to come.  Not nearly as much seat rumbling in Wolverine as there was in Bond last night.  Bond had non stop seat rumbling.  Seemed to be smooth operation last night for the number of people.  I'm wondering if they will have enough concession registers, lines got fairly long and this was a midnight showing last night.....they might be overwhelmed during prime movie going times.

A nice note:  You can go to the bar and get your beer and take it into the theater if the concession stand lines are too long.  (You can buy 3 beers at the concession stand as well - Sam Adams, and two others I can't remember)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

scooterj wrote: Yeah, I was surprised too when I got my 9:45 tix yesterday, when I did seat selection I discovered I was the first to buy any!   (Unless the screen doesn't reveal seats that are already taken.)   But, on the other hand, online purchasing has not been working and the doors to the box office were locked tight yesterday for a private event, so not many people may be noticing the outdoor kiosk tucked away in an alcove.
When I bought mine the theater was about half full, so they do show seats taken. I'll see you at the show. Hopefully I'll recognize you from your picks.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

A dog of the Red Carpet, this morning at 6:11 am.

photoblog post

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

he wants to eat you
ChandraNH
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChandraNH »

The star trek tickets are available online for Thursday night (5/7)!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

This place is absolutely fantastic.  We went last night and were very impressed.  We both had the cheddar burger and waffle fries in the cinema suite, not bad at all.

This will be our number one theater from here on out when we don’t have the kids.

Very well done AMC and Cordish.  Very nice.

I think this place will catch on by word of mouth and by mid-summer, you will have a hard time getting tickets to prime movies and times.  I would certainly think that would happen anyway.

After the movie, we left the theater and the sidewalks were just packed (about 11pm) so we walked over to the Live block and caught some of the Zeros concert.  The Live Block was really amazing and every time I am down there, I’m amazed at how popular the place is and the wide demographic of people it attracts.

Came downtown again today for the urban tour and staub gave us a great tour on the bus!  Although we should have skipped the bus and drove to the places because we ended up not having near enough time to see the properties.

Before the tour, we had lunch at Minsky’s and the City Market was really busy for a Sunday.

Downtown KC is looking real good.  It can really shine at times.  After two days of walking all around downtown though, I totally get the irritation with the city and the ped crossings.  That has got to be addressed.  They need to make those function without having to push the buttons. Nobody pushes them the way they are now.  May as well not have them.

Anyway, it was a great weekend to spend in Downtown KCMO!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote: Downtown KC is looking real good.  It can really shine at times.  After two days of walking all around downtown though, I totally get the irritation with the city and the ped crossings.  That has got to be addressed.  They need to make those function without having to push the buttons. Nobody pushes them the way they are now.  May as well not have them.

I couldn't help but notice this too, after hearing about it on this board from others so often before. I was downtown in the area for three hours tonight, and whenever outside I jaywalked the whole damn time. Which means I'm probably committing a misdemeanor, if it's classified as such. So in the eyes of the law my demeanor is foul because I cross a street as I bloody well see fit to.

photoblog. 

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chatted with the exec chef yesterday morning. the "upscale comfort food" approach is changing. there will also be daily specials.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Was there this weekend to see X-Men.  Odd how we are expected to root for a revenge filled person (er, mutant) even though he was coaxed into it.  Seats are definitely breaking in since the FilmFest.  I forced my back a bit further and it was better.  The rumbling seats are a bit gimmicky and probably annoying/distracting for some, like a film that depends too much on CGI.  Is fitting for most action films I suppose for the kid in us.  They may as well install spinning wheels, underglow lights and a ho'd up silhouette chick sticker and NASCAR sticker too on the back of seat.  Not too much of a big deal but probably would be best to have away to shut it off, especially for someone with a pace maker.

A standout theater overall.  Downtown was active with foot traffic and also had fair foot traffic when I was walking around last Tue evening.  Much more functional downtown than over the last couple decades.  Hopefully retailers will bite soon.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ignatius wrote: The rumbling seats are a bit gimmicky and probably annoying/distracting for some, like a film that depends too much on CGI. 
Do they rumble very much because that would seem incompatable with being able to eat the food they serve without spilling all over yourself.
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Highlander wrote: Do they rumble very much because that would seem incompatable with being able to eat the food they serve without spilling all over yourself.
The rumbling just sort of feels like someone tapping their foot on your chair.  It can be kind of annoying, but it's not that disruptive.  I can't imagine spilling something as a result of the rumbling.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

phuqueue wrote: The rumbling just sort of feels like someone tapping their foot on your chair.  It can be kind of annoying, but it's not that disruptive.  I can't imagine spilling something as a result of the rumbling.
The first time I sat in one of the Cinema Suites the server put napkins in my cupholder.  "It's to soften the vibrations so your drink doesn't spill", she said.    I think that fear was a bit overblown.
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

So I guess you don't get to pick your seats?  I just bought 2 tickets online for a cinema suite and they assigned my seats without letting me choose.  I thought when I got cinema suite tickets at Olathe 30 that a seat map came up and I got to pick the seats.  :?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Angel wrote: So I guess you don't get to pick your seats?  I just bought 2 tickets online for a cinema suite and they assigned my seats without letting me choose.  I thought when I got cinema suite tickets at Olathe 30 that a seat map came up and I got to pick the seats.  :?
For whatever reason they haven't been able to get that to work online yet.  If you buy at the box office or at any of the indoor or outdoor kiosks, though,  you get to pick your seats on a touch screen.