police response to crime from a victim's point of view.

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: police response to crime from a victim's point of view.

Post by Highlander »

Tosspot wrote: two words:

Hate Crime?

Sick the news media hounds all over this. And the dipshitterously incompetent police response.
I am not sure that adds up.  Most hate crime does not involve a single attacker.  Think about what motivates hate crime, it's usually a bunch of guys who share a similar warped attitude about a particular minority etc...  Most hate crime cases I have heard almost never involve a single attacker....unless maybe this guy had buds across the street watching and egging him on.  Sounds like a real looney or somebody had a beef against another employee and it was a case of mistaken identity or something like that. 

I am a bit concern about that 911 response though, a potential robbery and aggravated response and they do not even respond???  Jeez, there cannot be too much going on in the city that something like this takes low/no priority.

Sorry to hear about this. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Worst term ever.
Sparty
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sparty »

tat2kc wrote: Sparty-
I told the 911 operator that I was working in a store, in westport, and that the guy assaulted me in the store, behind the counter, and that it may have been an attempted robbery. If thats not enough to warrant more than: "I'll take a message and have someone call you.", then its no wonder KC is as violent as it is. 
That is why I left in the possibility that you talked to a stupid dispatcher.  Somewhere between you and the calltaker the message got skewed.  I can assure you that if you relayed to the calltaker that there was an attempted robbery and that you were assaulted, that they would not "take a message."  If you feel that that is honestly what happened, then file a complaint.  They will go back and pull the conversation that you had with the 911 operator.  I can say that if your version is 100% accurate, then somebody will be getting some discipline.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

of course she knew I was assaulted. She asked me if I needed an ambulance. I could barely talk, and she said: "I know you're shaken up, but are you injured enough to need an ambulance?" When I said no, thats when she resonded and "took the message". I also found it odd that she asked what number I was calling from. Shouldn't that have come up when I called? 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

tat2kc wrote: I also found it odd that she asked what number I was calling from. Shouldn't that have come up when I called? 
It does show up to them but they always ask for confirmation.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

There are almost always cops on the beat in westport, I would have thought that if the dispatcher had done things remotely efficiently it wouldn't take but a couple of minutes to have cops on the scene in that situation.  Very troubling. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

experienced possibly the most intense, quick police response i've ever seen this weekend:

friday evening, i was chilling at home in a post-oral surgery haze, watching soccer and listening to records around 7pm or so when i heard some yelling outside.  i went outside.  several neighbors were outside doing yardwork, etc.  i asked "what's happening?" and right then this guy comes into view, riding on a moped southbound on gillham.  he had what appeared to be a keyboard (instrument, not computer) under his arm.  he was frantically yelling "help!  help!  call the police!  help!!!"  there was an SUV full of dudes riding his tail, weaving around, apparently chasing him.  i guess the perps got spooked when they saw seven hyde parkers standing outside watching the events unfold, so they broke off and zoomed up campbell (the wrong way) going about 40 mph.  they burned rubber turning eastbound onto 44th and disappeared.  Moped Guy had kept going as well, hopefully finding safety. 

a neighbor a few houses up was outside and called 911, and i called 911 as well.  within three minutes, the most intense response i've ever seen convened on the block:  two police vans, four police cars, one unmarked police car, and two fire trucks (???).  it was crazy!  we probably would not have received such a quick, sweeping response if it were later friday evening when they were more busy, but it was kind of nice.  15 minutes later, i received a followup call from an officer on his cell phone.  he asked whether the perps had come back to the area, talked about the details of the event, etc.  that was nice too, although it indicated to me that the PD had not found the guys and probably would not.

i don't know if the guys in the SUV were just messing around with Moped Guy (i.e. teasing him b/c he was on a moped and carrying a keyboard), trying to rob him, intentionally cause him to crash, or what, but he was certainly terrified. 
MidtownGrrl
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by MidtownGrrl »

Our neighbors cars were sideswiped Friday at around 6 p.m.  Very minor damage, but 3 police cars showed up.  There had been a big accident up at 41st & Troost, and I think we got some of the police from that when that street closure was over.

Chrizow, glad the neighbors were able to be a presence to dissuade whatever was going on with the SUV.
splash
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by splash »

A couple of weeks ago, a house alarm went off in our neighborhood around 3 am or so.  It woke half the neighborhood up and went on for at least 15 minutes, so I called the non-emergency number.  Probably a waste of resources, but it was late, I was tired, and it was fairly clear that no one was home.  A patrol car drove through less than 5 minutes later, so I was happy with the response.

I've generally gotten a decent response when I call the non-emergency number, but the one time I called 911, no one answered.  That time, I was behind a very clearly drunk person.  They ran off the road several times, nearly missed a bridge, and accidentally started to make a turn onto what they thought was a street, but was actually railroad tracks.  I followed them a good mile and a half, before they finally found their house.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Call for anything in the West Plaza and they're generally rather cavalier about things. Though they do have to put up with a lot of idiots running around here.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I've called in to the kc police twice.

Someone tore into my storage unit in my apartment at 8th and broadway. I wanted to make a report just in case. I couldn't remember what was in there but I knew there was some of my personal info. A cop came out in 20 minutes and went door to door to see if anyone noticed anything. I was pretty impressed. This was on a Saturday afternoon.

The second time, my company car was hit by a uhaul parked in front of my apartment (legally). My work requires a on scene police report. People get fired for wrecking their company cars, often they are drunk boozing up clients. I wanted someone to come out so I had proof I didn't do it coming home from the bars or something. No one would come out, so I threw a fit. An officer came out and said I had to walk it in and left.

Pissed me off....