Downtown Dining with Kids

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Downtown Dining with Kids

Post by jimb »

We have our bi-annual dance recital coming up in mid-May at the Musical Hall.  Several of the families get a hotel room downtown and just move in on Friday night and stay until Sunday afternoon.  Usually, we get a group rate at the Crowne Plaza or the Marriott.

What continues to be a problem is trying to find a place to get something to eat after the recital is over on Saturday evening.  It's usually in the neighborhood of 10pm or so, and there are usually several families struggling to find a place they can take (mostly) teenaged children to.  They've been dancing their legs off all night and are pretty hungry.

I know of all sorts of places the adults can go at that time.  Finding places for minors after 10pm has been the struggle.  Can anyone here help out with some family-tolerant (we generally have no little kids) places within a reasonable walk or short drive of the Music Hall area?

Thanks.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Dining with Kids

Post by KCPowercat »

Gordon beirsch, teds, famous daves, chefburger closes at 9 I think, grocery store (closes at 10), bristol (expensive but will take teens fine), los corrales?, 12 baltimore...those are off the top of my head.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

jimb wrote: We have our bi-annual dance recital coming up in mid-May at the Musical Hall.  Several of the families get a hotel room downtown and just move in on Friday night and stay until Sunday afternoon.  Usually, we get a group rate at the Crowne Plaza or the Marriott.

What continues to be a problem is trying to find a place to get something to eat after the recital is over on Saturday evening.  It's usually in the neighborhood of 10pm or so, and there are usually several families struggling to find a place they can take (mostly) teenaged children to.  They've been dancing their legs off all night and are pretty hungry.

I know of all sorts of places the adults can go at that time.  Finding places for minors after 10pm has been the struggle.  Can anyone here help out with some family-tolerant (we generally have no little kids) places within a reasonable walk or short drive of the Music Hall area?

Thanks.
pizza bella
ted's montana grill
any mexican place on SW Blvd - ponak's, tacqueria mexico, margarita's, el patron, etc. (probably the safest bet)
grinders
town topic
denny's
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Denny's?

Really?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GRID wrote: Denny's?

Really?
hey, it's there, it's close, and it's open.  10pm family dining downtown is probably pretty tough unless you go for pizza or mexican.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

The Art of Pizza may close at 10 but i bet if you called them they would try and accommodate you.  Don't know the address, there located across the street from Pizz Bella and just north.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

Please forgive my grammar I messed up the they're :oops: and I don't know how to fix my post.
Last edited by Appraiser on Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Peachtree?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Appraiser wrote: Please forgive my grammer I messed up the they're :oops: and I don't know how to fix my post.
there should be a little 'edit' icon next to your post.  click that
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Midtownkid wrote: there should be a little 'edit' icon next to your post.  click that
And then do it for the post where you misspelled "grammar."  :lol:
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

chrizow wrote: grinders
This one might be iffy... depends on if they are considered a bar or a restaurant.  A lot of bars have to have the under-21 crowd out by a certain time, even if they serve food, or risk their license.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

scooterj wrote: This one might be iffy... depends on if they are considered a bar or a restaurant.  A lot of bars have to have the under-21 crowd out by a certain time, even if they serve food, or risk their license.
I would think Grinders West would be the safer family bet. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I have learned one thing lately...never question Grinders being perfect for anything. Its the sacred cow on kcrag. :)

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i've seen parents bring 6th-12th grade-aged kids in there at night (though before 10pm) recently, which is why i suggested it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: I have learned one thing lately...never question Grinders being perfect for anything. Its the sacred cow on kcrag. :)

I actually complained about Grinders (closing early, etc.) several months ago and my concern was addressed swiftly by ownership. So, feel free to comment how you'd like on Grinders.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote:
I actually complained about Grinders (closing early, etc.) several months ago and my concern was addressed swiftly by ownership. So, feel free to comment how you'd like on Grinders.

Thanks!