KC's premier university?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

KC's premier university?

Post by Spartan65 »

I was just curious what was the consensus "premier university" in Kansas City was, since there really aren't any well-known universities, except for KU about 45 minutes out in Lawrence. BUT in the KC metro area itself.. there's UM-KC, William Jewell, Rockhurst, St. Mary's in Leavenworth, Park University, Avila University, and I dunno what else. So which of these is probably the "premier" college in KC?

Reason I ask, I have a little brother entering into college and he's been spammed enough from Jewell I guess to make him want to apply. Is Liberty even much of a "college town" environment, and what kind of reputation does Jewell have around KC? I realize it's probably not best to judge based on what I've heard of it, which is absolutely nothing. Every community has one good college they're proud of that ranks well but not many outside have heard of it, like how Memphis has Rhodes College, Portland has Reed College, Omaha has Creighton University, OKC has Oklahoma City University, and so on...

I figured this could be an interesting discussion..since beyond KU, not many are aware of the college scene in the Kansas City area.

Sparty
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: KC's premier university?

Post by skim82 »

Well, I can't say any of the Universities you mentioned here in KC are "premier", but I'm willing to bet UMKC is the largest of the bunch.  In fact if you need comparisons, UMKC is to KC as Creighton is to Omaha.  imo.

Not a bad school at all, I'll be graduating this May and have enjoyed my experience there.  Nice, clean, and centrally located campus.  Great faculty, and very safe.  Also, your brother will want to take into consideration what he'll be majoring in.  That makes a huge difference. 
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

My biggest concern for him is that it's probably very boring at Jewell and in surrounding Liberty, MO.. but I could be wrong.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Spartan65 wrote: My biggest concern for him is that it's probably very boring at Jewell and in surrounding Liberty, MO.. but I could be wrong.
If he's interested in a college party scene, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Probably a fine school other than that though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Jewell still has some trappings of a religious school - still debating gay rights to an extent.  The private, or religious school, that has the most public reputation though is Rockhurst  - which is a liberal Jesuit school.  Of course, the only public university is UMKC.  My daughter graduated from Avila and she received a first rate education there.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

William-Jewell is a great school, from what I've heard, and I believe was named a top-value or some other award a couple of years back by U.S. News College Report.  It is right on the historic Liberty square, very quaint, pretty area but I would imagine not the most vibrant college atmosphere, but I really have no idea what the scene there is like.

Rockhurst is fantastic (I'm a recent MBA graduate), though small.  It has a very nice centrally located campus but again, the undergrad party/social scene is fairly conservative from what I gather - great school though, and very good soccer team if that's your thing.

are we spinning free?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Just knowing people that have went to these, I would say umkc or rockhurst for a fuller college experience. Maybe park? 
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

if you want to go to college in the KC area and get the "college experience," go to KU.  period. 

Jewell is a great school, but it doesn't even have the niche appeal of a Reed College.  and yes, Liberty would be a horrendous place to live and go to school. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

As spartan pointed out though, ku really isn't IN KC, which was the question. Sure its the closest but that's not really like ut in austin, etc.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: As spartan pointed out though, ku really isn't IN KC, which was the question. Sure its the closest but that's not really like ut in austin, etc.
neither is Jewell.  of the colleges in the urban core (Rockhurt and UMKC), i am not sure which one is the "premier."  i would assume UMKC since it probably offers more programs and whatnot.  i dont know how much of a "college" scene there is at umkc or rockhurst, but if you live near campus you are in the Plaza "scene" already.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good point. Those I know who have went to rocku make it seem like it has an alright scene, even mentioned rock bars I have never heard of (at the time). I still dream of umkc growing to more of a traditional school.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Jewell undergrad alumn myself.  It is a bit of a small, conservative, Baptist school.  But I still had a pretty good time and good experience despite being an agnostic hell-raiser.  10-15 years ago, Liberty was a pretty sleepy town, completely disconnected from KC, and there were only two bars - neither friendly to college kids.  The population has since doubled and it has basically been swallowed into the KC metro area so I am sure it would be a little different kind of "college town" nowadays.  It is a VERY greek school, with that being the primary social outlet on campus - but it is a much more inclusive, non-intimidating greek community than you see at bigger schools.  As far as academics, they have one of the most interesting honors programs in the region if your brother can get into it.  If you have any specifics feel free to ask or PM. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Guy I used to work with was a KA at "Jewell" and always talked about the frat stuff and it being Robert E. Lee's fraternity. He said they had a blast in Liberty. Granted he is from bumblefuck Missouri.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

Any clue what your brother might want to major in?  And is he really looking for a premier educational experience or do you think he would be more into his experience after class?  Does he want the whole live-on-campus dorm experience or do you think he would want to have an apartment?  Jewell is a well-ranked small liberal arts college, but you are supposed to live in the dorms for the first few years.  It's a baptist school, with everything that goes along with that, but I think pulling away from the Southern Baptist conference. 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

UMKC is the only one in the city has really a university.  The others are all small colleges that changed their names to university as a marketing gimmick.  But even UMKC has less of a college feel than it should, since so few students live on campus.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

To take the long view - what school is going to look best on his resume 10 years from now.  If he leaves the KC area, UMKC may be the only school employers have heard of.  However, a smaller school may provide a better experience. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mlind wrote: To take the long view - what school is going to look best on his resume 10 years from now.  If he leaves the KC area, UMKC may be the only school employers have heard of.  However, a smaller school may provide a better experience. 
Debatable.  Outside of a  hundred mile square radius who knows anything about UMKC?  And with ignorance of both I have serious doubts that an out of town employer is going to put anymore stock in a degree from a regional state school with a long acronym than they do in a degree from an obscure private school. 
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

I'm a UMKC alum from back in the 80s.  It's a good-sized school, but I didn't feel a lot of the "college experience"  They've added a few more dorms, but almost nobody lives on campus.  I commuted in from Independence each day, took my classes, and then left.  I  would say the vast majority of my classmates did the same.  Most were like me - they had to get off campus and get to whatever crappy part-time job they were working so they could afford to pay for the next semester.

I have been reading things that suggest they are trying to make it less of a "commuter" feel.  The Oak Street dorms are a step in the right direction.  The main part of the campus is attractive, there are a lot of students, but not much "scene" - at least not when I was there.  You get mostly the traditional 18-22 year old, full time students during the day, and part time adults in the evening.

Wichita State is trying to make the same changes down there.  I wish both schools success in their efforts.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Debatable.  Outside of a  hundred mile square radius who knows anything about UMKC?  And with ignorance of both I have serious doubts that an out of town employer is going to put anymore stock in a degree from a regional state school with a long acronym than they do in a degree from an obscure private school. 

Just put University of Missouri on the resume. In California, you just put University of California - no mention that it was the campus in Riverside or Merced. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

mlind wrote:
Just put University of Missouri on the resume. In California, you just put University of California - no mention that it was the campus in Riverside or Merced. 
Sounds like resume fraud to me.  If I hired someone thinking they went to Cal and later found out they went to UC Riverside and intentionally misled me in the interview process I would probably fire them on the spot.  That isn't a trivial difference.