Back When Kansas Wanted to Annex KCMO....

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Back When Kansas Wanted to Annex KCMO....

Post by ComandanteCero »

pretty interesting article on the kclibrary website about various movements to annex Kansas City.

http://www.kclibrary.org/kchistory/annexation-wasn-t
In the 1870s, annexation supporters proposed a number of plans, several of which called upon Kansas to "purchase" the city from Missouri.

In 1878, The Kansas City Times began publishing articles in favor of annexation, arguing that the bulk of Kansas City’s trade already took place with towns in Kansas. Most Kansas City residents, according to the paper, considered themselves to be Kansans, regardless of the lines on a map. Furthermore, much of the area’s development was occurring in what would in 1886 become Kansas City, Kansas. The area’s emerging cities would essentially end up as one metropolis, yet the state line spurred economic and political divisions that could potentially impair growth on both sides. The Times articles reasoned that in consideration of Kansas City’s desire to be annexed, Missouri would agree to the plan, provided that it was allowed to retain all tax revenue from Kansas City for a period of 50 years.

This second movement for annexation culminated with the 1879 Kansas Senate resolution. The Kansas House voted in favor of the plan several days later, and the legislature awaited consent from Missouri and the U.S. Congress. It was the first time that the Kansas legislature officially attempted to annex Kansas City. Dozens of Kansas City business leaders and politicians pressed the Missouri legislature to concur with the resolution, but the city was now far more valuable than it had been in 1855 when Missouri was (according to Van Horn) willing to relinquish it. With no real incentive for Missouri to give up Kansas City, the Kansas-Missouri border remained stationary.

Further attempts to annex Kansas City occurred in 1884 and 1899. Throughout this time, Kansas City residents frequently claimed that surveyors failed to account for the changing routes of the Kansas and Missouri Rivers when determining the border. Therefore, the surveyors allegedly placed the Kansas-Missouri border six miles too far to the west in relation to the original Missouri state charter.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Back When Kansas Wanted to Annex KCMO....

Post by trailerkid »

Can't wait to hear Chef's opinion on this...

KC wanted to move to KS and the state of MO was more than ready to disown the city.

The more things change, the more things stay the same...
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

trailerkid wrote: Can't wait to hear Chef's opinion on this...

KC wanted to move to KS and the state of MO was more than ready to disown the city.

The more things change, the more things stay the same...
something seriously wrong with you. i actually complained when you got removed as a mod, shit, even pm'ed you on the matter voicing support. it is becoming clear to me that you are on a paved road to hell with your abilities to start shit now. you have surpassed myself, paintfumes, devin, shit, you are almost with MD now. wont be long before you boys have a competition to see who can get 30 members ignoring them first.

back to my opinion that you so highly covet, what the fuck do i care about some nonsense from 150 years ago? it didnt happen. they wanted slaves back then too, for blacks to use seperate facilities to eat and shit, for women not to vote, and for gays to be publicly executed. this is a time in american history where we abandoned the gallows for the more humane methods of the electric chair and the gas chamber. we were sure a foward thinking society back then.

and i still hate kansas, regardless of this horseshit. but like all nonsense from your side of the state line, you wanted it, ( kansas ) and missouri was not really in favor of it. you have a newspaper read by about 5,000 wealthy to do folks saying kc was in favor of it. amazing how much newspapers have improved in 2 centuries.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Kansas State Motto:

Protecting America from Missouri since the Civil War.

(I think it goes something like that)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

It still would have been a bistate city only the MO side suburbs would probably be the "freeloading JoCo".

I guess it depends on how far KS would have annexed to the east.  If it would have been only the city limits (which were tiny at the time, it probably would not have changed the overall politics of the area much at all, only flipped things around.

The biggest advantage would have been to become the primary city in a state.  If all (or even most) of KC were in KS, the population would dwarf any rural/Wichita interests that now seem to screw a lot of things up in KS.

In MO, the KC area not only loses out to St Louis, but it barely eclipses outstate MO.

Who knows.

I just wish KCMO would have changed its name when KCK became a city, because today, the state of KS really gives KC a horrible image.  If Kansas contained all of Metro KC, especially urban KCMO, maybe its image would be different as well though and it might have done less "stupid" and embarrassing things over the years that have contributed to that image.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Back when Kansas was known as the "Kansas Territory," its borders went so far West that it included present day Denver.  Thanks to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Kansas lost all that land that is now Colorado.

How cool would it have been to have Denver and Kansas City in the same state?  Kansas would have been a lot "cooler."  Although, we would probably be competing with Denver rather than St. Louis.  So, KC would still be overlooked, probably.
KC is the way to be!
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

AllThingsKC wrote: Back when Kansas was known as the "Kansas Territory," its borders went so far West that it included present day Denver.  Thanks to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Kansas lost all that land that is now Colorado.

How cool would it have been to have Denver and Kansas City in the same state?  Kansas would have been a lot "cooler."  Although, we would probably be competing with Denver rather than St. Louis.  So, KC would still be overlooked, probably.
And the border could have gone to the platte. A super state instead of a pinch of americana.
  http://www.kshs.org/publicat/khq/1967/67_1_gower.htm
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

kcdcchef wrote: something seriously wrong with you. i actually complained when you got removed as a mod, shit, even pm'ed you on the matter voicing support. it is becoming clear to me that you are on a paved road to hell with your abilities to start shit now. you have surpassed myself, paintfumes, devin, shit, you are almost with MD now. wont be long before you boys have a competition to see who can get 30 members ignoring them first.

back to my opinion that you so highly covet, what the fuck do i care about some nonsense from 150 years ago? it didnt happen. they wanted slaves back then too, for blacks to use seperate facilities to eat and shit, for women not to vote, and for gays to be publicly executed. this is a time in american history where we abandoned the gallows for the more humane methods of the electric chair and the gas chamber. we were sure a foward thinking society back then.

and i still hate kansas, regardless of this horseshit. but like all nonsense from your side of the state line, you wanted it, ( kansas ) and missouri was not really in favor of it. you have a newspaper read by about 5,000 wealthy to do folks saying kc was in favor of it. amazing how much newspapers have improved in 2 centuries.
:lol:

For lack of a better term...chillax, dude.

I'm not really concerned about people ignoring me. Even Grid + KC(P) have people ignoring them with the current climate of sensitivity on here.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

trailerkid wrote:
I'm not really concerned about people ignoring me. Even Grid + KC(P) have people ignoring them with the current climate of sensitivity on here.
Funny thing about that is that they are likely one of Chef's sockpuppet accounts that he set to ignore people. Yes, I have seen the data firsthand.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Texas once lied to surveyors about the whereabouts of the Red River so as to claim parts of what was Oklahoma. And for years it even worked for them. It's funny how states try and get pieces of other states.

Kansas has a Pittsburgh.
I just love the smell of skyscrapers in the morning...
http://okmet.org / OkMet forums
Keep Tulsa Lame.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

AllThingsKC wrote: Back when Kansas was known as the "Kansas Territory," its borders went so far West that it included present day Denver.  Thanks to the Kansas-Nebraska Act, Kansas lost all that land that is now Colorado.

Actually, I think it was self inflicted.  I have been kicking myself (only the me that lived 150 years ago and was part of the Kansas legislature) over the choosing to give up that land and the land north to the Platte.  They thought it would be ungovernable, weren't looking to the future! 
Spartan65 wrote: Texas once lied to surveyors about the whereabouts of the Red River so as to claim parts of what was Oklahoma. And for years it even worked for them. It's funny how states try and get pieces of other states.
they also took a good chunck of land from Mexico due to their Rio Grande/ Nueces River border dispute.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What are some of these sockpuppet account names?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote: What are some of these sockpuppet account names?
bigwheel, michal1, ckincaidkc, royalloverandy, ffctentman, kcbeast, worldsoffunandy, gutterratinkc, schnizzelnizzelkc, paseotubaplayer, dannylangstrip

if the globals or admins would investigate further there are likely more. the "royalloverandy" is one of accounts that has me on ignore.  :D

photoblog. 

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Spartan65 wrote:
Kansas has a Pittsburgh.

It's actually Pittsburg.
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

Oh. Well, they probably have a lot of trailers there, so that figures.  :lol:
Keep Tulsa Lame.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Spartan65 wrote: Oh. Well, they probably have a lot of trailers there, so that figures.  :lol:
Wait a minute... :)

You're from Oklahoma.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

Tosspot wrote: Kansas State Motto:

Protecting America from Missouri since the Civil War.

(I think it goes something like that)
Mad Magazine once did a fake Kansas license plate where the motto was "Kansas - Gateway to Nebraska"
Spartan65
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Spartan65 »

trailerkid wrote: Wait a minute... :)

You're from Oklahoma.
Well it's not Arkansas, and it's definitely not Texas, even though it's located in the middle.. 8)

But good point. I grew up in a neighborhood 3.12 miles to the nearest trailerpark, so we are practically brothers..and possibly even actual ones.
Keep Tulsa Lame.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I wish all of you could have known the KCK where I grew up in the 1940's-60's.  It was always in KCMO's shadow, but had nice neighborhoods, lovely homes, interesting architecture, good schools, a vibrant downtown with a wonderful Carnegie library, public transit, strong business base, a good-sized middle/upper-middle class and many 'blue color' jobs at the packing plants & automotive & aircraft industries.  Not that it was perfect (de facto segregation, etc.) 

My family moved in 1965 to Denver and I didn't return until 2003.  I was in total shock.  It really defined the Gertrude Stein line - there was no there, there.  My entire childhood had disappeared.  My great-grandparents' house in Strawberry Hill was still there and occupied, but the house in Quindaro where my father grew up was a burned-out shell. I actually drove on streets that weren't even paved anymore.  The most bizarre thing was that I never saw any people, except a drunk walking by the Granada Theater - it was like someone had dropped a neutron bomb. I drove around Wyandotte County Lake on Labor Day weekend and I swear I was the only person there. 

It was really depressing. 

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

I wonder if "JoCo" would have sprung up on the other side of the border in Missouri if  the state line was apprx. at 435, or if the Missouri side would have languished similar to the Illinois side in St. Louis (the latter is what I would guess if the then weathly urban core was in the other state, along with the jobs in KCK). Interesting article, I also wonder if the state of Kansas would have been as willing to allow KC to "run wild" during the first half of the 20th century.
Last edited by warwickland on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.