Habitat Leaving the Crossroads

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Habitat Leaving the Crossroads

Post by KCTigerFan »

Moved to the 119 Center next to North and C&B.  Sadly, the rumor is they are struggling badly. 
Gretz wrote: How big are they and where are they now?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCTigerFan wrote: Moved to the 119 Center next to North and C&B.  Sadly, the rumor is they are struggling badly. 
I wouldn't be surprised if Habitat closed...should've went to space in the P+L retail block. The demo that buys those shoes might shop at West Elm or whatever, but they don't live down there.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Would be funny if they moved back downtown in a few years.  Seems like the 'hip' people they would sell their shoes to don't live out there like you said...but maybe we are wrong?  I imagine SOJOCO high school-ers are their most likely customers out there?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if Habitat closed...should've went to space in the P+L retail block. The demo that buys those shoes might shop at West Elm or whatever, but they don't live down there.
I agree, had the P&L been there when Habitat opened.  The Plaza or Westport seem like other good options for this type of business.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

As I mentioned in here months ago - I don't think Habitat's problem was ever location - the XRoads was as good a place as any.  In my mind I just don't see KC as being a place yet where expensive, independent, clothing boutiques are going to ever be an easy proposition.  People are trained around here to buy their clothing at mainstream chain stores.  At least out of my friends and family, I know very, very few folks who are likely to be inclined to go out of their way to shop for clothes at an independent boutique over more known commodities. 
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

I was wondering about Digital Labrador, actually.  Anyone know how many jobs are moving and where they are moving from?
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I haven't seen the space(s) Nicholson has rehabbed, please pardon the ignorance, but I'm wondering what kind of work was done? You guys are describing the renovations as high quality, I'm just kind of wondering what that entails?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As I mentioned in here months ago - I don't think Habitat's problem was ever location - the XRoads was as good a place as any.  In my mind I just don't see KC as being a place yet where expensive, independent, clothing boutiques are going to ever be an easy proposition.  People are trained around here to buy their clothing at mainstream chain stores.  At least out of my friends and family, I know very, very few folks who are likely to be inclined to go out of their way to shop for clothes at an independent boutique over more known commodities. 
or, more likely, the kind of person who might be inclined to purchase Habitat's wares is also the kind of person who would find these items online.  boutiques like this survive where there is a lot of foot traffic to facilitate random browsing and purchases.  no one is going to make a special trip to Habitat to check out their limited selection of Modern Amusement t-shirts and mid-scale denim. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: I haven't seen the space(s) Nicholson has rehabbed, please pardon the ignorance, but I'm wondering what kind of work was done? You guys are describing the renovations as high quality, I'm just kind of wondering what that entails?
industrial yet artistic. think DWELL.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

chrizow wrote: or, more likely, the kind of person who might be inclined to purchase Habitat's wares is also the kind of person who would find these items online.  boutiques like this survive where there is a lot of foot traffic to facilitate random browsing and purchases.  no one is going to make a special trip to Habitat to check out their limited selection of Modern Amusement t-shirts and mid-scale denim. 

I wouldn't say 'No one'.  I used to go down to the crossroads for an afternoon to go to Habitat, the Pigeon, Shuttlecocks, YJs (or MAC), and Spool.  Now YJs and Spool are the only placed left out of that list.  I also know that my neighbor would also do that too, after I took him once or twice.  My sister also loved going to Habitat (as a destination) when it was in the X-roads.  There just weren't enough people like us I guess...or maybe it hurts business since we both live in DC.  haha
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As I mentioned in here months ago - I don't think Habitat's problem was ever location - the XRoads was as good a place as any.  In my mind I just don't see KC as being a place yet where expensive, independent, clothing boutiques are going to ever be an easy proposition. 
It would help a lot if there was one concentrated location with all of these types of businesses lined up one after the other.  There used to be some of this arrangement in Westport.  It could still work in the Crossroads if the city and businesses would focus on a compact retail district in the core of the neighborhood and limit the non-retail businesses to the surrounding blocks.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Gretz wrote: I was wondering about Digital Labrador, actually.  Anyone know how many jobs are moving and where they are moving from?
Digital Labrador does not have a lot of employees, maybe under a dozen?

But it's the absolute perfect tenant for the building they are in and exactly what the crossroads is all about.

It's an "art" business that gets into First Fridays's etc. They take up a pretty fair amount of space and are a metro destination for photographers and other people in the media business.  But it's not just a gallery; it's a high end business in a cool, creative space that was a vacant warehouse.

They are located at 20th and Washington.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: or, more likely, the kind of person who might be inclined to purchase Habitat's wares is also the kind of person who would find these items online.  boutiques like this survive where there is a lot of foot traffic to facilitate random browsing and purchases.  no one is going to make a special trip to Habitat to check out their limited selection of Modern Amusement t-shirts and mid-scale denim. 

This is a very good observation. I'm not a big shopper of the hipster apparel brands (for lack of a better term), but I keep semi-aware of that world. I get that Habitat wanted to bring new shoe styles to Kansas City, but they aren't new to a savvy shopper. The type of people that shop at Habitat are also heavy online users so stuff like Tretorn, Gola, PF Flyers aren't going to make your shop a destination. They need to diversify and offer more streetwear brands in addition to a wider selection of emerging shoe designers if they intend to be some destination store that stands on its own. Too much middle of the road stuff you could probably get at Nordstrom. Move to a real shopping center with high traffic or begin to give a unique store experience with memorable merchandise.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Ugh... I am extremely upset over Digital Labrador leaving. Up until opening this thread a moment ago I had no idea, but I've been responding to emails this evening from people wanting to purchase photos and I kept saying I use them for prints and whatever else.

Fucking great.... just real REAL fucking great how the momentum the Crossroads once had has totally imploded and now we're going to be left with another vast swath of vacancy and fucking parking lots for Gawd knows how many more years or even decades. Yeah, REAL WAY TO STAY ON THE FUCKING BALL, KANSAS CITY.

Premature property tax multiplication, combined with stupid parking and zoning laws, and we get this. An opportunity that is showing signs of being on the verge of failure. Yeah, EPIC FAIL.

Midtownkid wrote: I hate seeing businesses moving from the X-roads...but I think the area will be fine.  There is still a lot going on there, and it is becoming even more established with the Kemper Museum and the Kemper PAC coming along.  I think we will continue to see it prosper.
Although your sentiment can be appreciated, a couple of philanthropist projects like these aren't going to save the day and keep all things rosy. The Crossroads, as it appears now, is seriously screwed, whether it has its iconic humps on a hill or not.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Would it have been better in the long term to let things happen more slowly?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

mean wrote: Would it have been better in the long term to let things happen more slowly?
What do you mean, mean? I'm not following.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The funny thing is that a lot of people pointed to the Xroads as a shining example of organic development that happens without incentives. Looks like it's time to wheel out the TIF dump truck to 17th and Baltimore...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Tosspot wrote:What do you mean, mean? I'm not following.
I mean could it in retrospect have been more beneficial to the neighborhood in the long term to have been redeveloped over the course of many more years, keeping property values and taxes low while various businesses had time to incubate and grow? Do we have enough information to even make a judgment? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

GRID wrote: Digital Labrador is pulling out of the Crossroads and going to JoCo...

Seems like the Crossroads has petered out before it ever really got a chance to take off.

I don't think we are going back to the way it was (vacant vacant vacant), but the hotness of the area is about as cold as it can get.

Cyclops, you still hanging in there? :)
I had not heard this news. I received an email blast from Digital Labrador on Nov 24th and there was no mention of a move. I'm not sure how a move to JOCO makes any sense for them, but I'm not wearing their shoes either. I'll have to wait for more details. If true, I'm very sorry to hear this. We don't really cross paths very often, but I have met the owners and respect what they have been trying to do.

Our business is doing fine (thanks for asking GRID). We're doing pretty good actually, and I cannot imagine a better place to be located for what we do than in the Crossroads. But we are also a service company with very little retail presence. My clients are long time clients and we usually do good in a down economy because our clients, ad agencies are less inclined to head to the coasts when budgets tighten up. We are also an event space and people like to party :)

I'm not prepared to toss dirt on the Crossroads quite yet. One thing I've learned after 20+ years in biz is that there are going to always be peaks and valleys. This whole area just went through an amazing period of growth. Now it's a tough economy, a bazaar mayor situation, not the best time to be getting loans for small entrepreneurs, and face it, some of these new business concepts just don't work and probably wouldn't in the best of times.

I say be patient, don't over react, and keep in mind baby steps...
the only thing for sure is change.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: The funny thing is that a lot of people pointed to the Xroads as a shining example of organic development that happens without incentives. Looks like it's time to wheel out the TIF dump truck to 17th and Baltimore...
There are businesses in tax-subsidized developments that are going out of business too. Its a rough time.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag