Let's Get AppleBee's Downtown

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

They are out of space at their current Overland Park headquarters, lets get them into downtown. Seems like this should be something KCMO would be interested in.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory5.html
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm against any scavaging on either side of the state line. Applebee's as a company would be great for downtown but I hope this doesn't turn into bidding war between states. Each state put a competitive bid up, if Applebee's starts playing one state against the other, just get out of it.

Remember, One KC baby!!!
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

This article is interesting; it does give credibility to the thread of the Overland Park Tower in the Rumor Topic.
It was mentioned that Applebee’s was one of their potential companies for locating to the proposed building.
As far as relocating, like KCPowercat said, I hope it does not become a major competition. There are other companies elsewhere to bring here instead of fighting over ones that are already in the metro.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

exactly....OP should concentrate on keeping Applebees if they look outside the metro (which doesn't sound like they will) but overall, we need to concentrate on NEW companies.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I never really thought of it that way. I don't want a bidding war to begin, but at the same time I would rather have the business downtown than in OP. We really should make sure they don't want to leave the area. Remember the original HQ was in Atlanta, so its not beyond them to jump ship on a metro area.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Leave Applebee's in Jo Co...their whole essence revolves around areas like Johnson County. They are definitely not a brand ready for the urban core.
harviss
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by harviss »

I'm all for a unified Kansas City, but to say that a "bidding war" should be avoided is a bit naive. Everything is a bidding war. A company (let's say Sprint for example) will locate wherever they get the best deat -- at least the companies that stay in business and thrive. If downtown KC has to undercut Overland Park, then do it. We all know that there is not much else yet to bring them downtown. Maybe after downtown regains some fervor that would change, but downtown really needs to concentrate on filling some of the empty buildings.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I could see that a move for Applebee's downtown could be a plus. It is a nationally know houshold name. Perhaps a flagship restaurant near KC Live would be cool.
I am sure that competition will go, that is the jobs of the cities and the people that represent their business communities.
It sometimes seems that tax incentives do not really make a difference in a situation like Greater KC. If they moved to Downtown, it probably would not make many people change where they currently live. The current Applebee's headquarters is almost at the Missouri/Kansas state line.
I would rather see us spend these tax incentives on new sources of employment and tax revenue.
What is better for the company should count, not what corporate welfare is given to these companies. Look how AMR screwed KCMO after the commitments made over the Overhaul Center at KCI.
Actually, I think downtown would be a great place for Applebee's. JOCO would not "fold up" if they left.

gil
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... aily8.html

Applebee's selects Kessinger/Hunter for HQ search

Kessinger/Hunter & Co. LC will advise Applebee's International Inc. in its search for a new headquarters, a spokeswoman for the Overland Park-based company said Monday.

Laurie Ellison said she didn't know when a decision would be made. In April, Ellison said a move was several years away.

Applebee's (Nasdaq: APPB) has run out of room in its current headquarters at 4551 W. 107th St. and leased space in a neighboring building.

About 400 people work at Applebee's headquarters. The company runs a chain of casual dining restaurants and ranks No. 12 on The Business Journal's list of the Top 25 area public companies.

Greg Swetnam, who will oversee Kessinger/Hunter's representation of Applebee's, could not be reached for comment.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

I could totally see a large applebees downtown, multistory perhaps, close on bordering on KC Live!. It could be full of Kansas City memoriabilia on the walls and stuff commerorating Kansas City Basketball and sports and traditions. It could be a true reflection of the city and its community. It would be great, lets contact applebees and their real estate company and suggest it

kcteen
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Holy crap, I had no idea they were actually moving. Now they really could come downtown. Sweet.

Sadly, I'd never go to their restaurant even if there was one downtown. They have gone horribly downhill and I don't do chains anyway.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

also, their carryout would be great for residents within walking distance. the carry out meals are pretty good and reasonable. remember too, this is a chain--but a local chain.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

It doesn't matter to me if Applebee's comes downtown or not. I don't see them any different if they stay in OP and KS-- their home.

It'd be cool if they did a special themed Applebee's in/near the arena. A basketball themed or jazz themed Applebee's would be kinda cool. Have Applebee's run concessions of the Sprint Center with Applebee's Express locations.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

400+ workers would go a long way in filling up some of the vacant office space downtown. Slap an applebee's sign on one of the high rises as an incentive. Great exposure for them.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm totally fine with bringing Applebee’s Downtown. The tide is turning and now KCMO can't do what JoCo has been doing for thirty years? I think when you start seeing more companies move east rather than west, you will all of the sudden see the KS side asking for a coalition against it.

Till then, KCMO has to keep playing hardball.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

There's plenty of room in 1KC Place, right? I wonder if they'd be interested in it?
SonicBoi
New York Life
New York Life

Post by SonicBoi »

Technically, Applebee's didn't move here from Atlanta. The either company or the concept was purchased by local franchisees. So it kinda sorta moved here.
And at least 20 floors are open in 1KCP... I know first hand.
SonicBoi
1 Samuel 18:3-4: And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

I don't know how much space AppleBees needs, but lets look around town. First off where in Overland Park is there a building with enough room for them? Is there enough room in corporate woods? Do you think they would build a new facility, or are they more interested in leasing space? Since the article points toward them "looking" you have to think they don't want to build a HQ. Maybe they could move into the old Sprint corporate HQ in Westwood. I don't know if that facility is too large for them though, plus I believe Sprint still uses it.

Of course there are other possibilities. Remember the article said the move was a few years off. What about the current H&R Block HQ? Isn't it near the plaza? I can imagine a restaurant business liking a location such as that.

KCK IS BACK!!!!
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Sprint just pulled out of the Westwood location and put it on the market. I am not sure if it has been sold yet, but most of the teams that worked there have been relocated. It would be a possibility, but I'm not sure how much bigger it is than the location on Roe now.

I'm sure Corporate Woods has the space. I know of several companies that have drastically downsized their presence there.

I agree. Give them a logo in the skyline and bring them downtown. Give them a flagship restaurant on the street level of their building. They need to make something of their presence in the city.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

C Woods has a vacany rate close to Downtown's. It's approaching 25%.

The only area of JoCo that is really doing well is South Creek which I have a hard time calling Class A space.