DETROIT. QUESTIONS?

Do a trip report here....go to another city and want to relate it to what KC is doing right or could do better? Give us a summary in here.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

DETROIT. QUESTIONS?

Post by warwickland »

i know i am always having questions on things of this or that. now,

detroit?

what is an angle, if you care?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DETROIT. QUESTIONS?

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

warwickland wrote: i know i am always having questions on things of this or that. now,

detroit?

what is an angle, if you care?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/angle

angle:  (noun) - the space within two lines or three or more planes diverging from a common point, or within two planes diverging from a common line.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

A newer version of StL, more industrialized, sadder, crazier, scarier.

I'd live there. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

trailerkid wrote: A newer version of StL, more industrialized, sadder, crazier, scarier.

I'd live there. 
In general it is the largest metro I've never visited, other than Los Angeles. I'd like to stay downtown, and learn more about some neighborhoods and some good looking urban commercial strips (via google earth), but am also interested in Hamtramk and Royal Oak. It just blows my mind how endless the street grids are. I also want to change my distant idea of what the city is like - which feels like a fever.
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Detroit does have some pretty cool inner-ring suburbs that look like you're still living in the 1950s. My dad grew up in one of them.

I don't think you could convince me to live in the actual city of Detroit though. Ann Arbor is really nice.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Bring a gun. Has some very nice suburbs though.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

Detroit is unfortunately a city that was starting to see somewhat of a renewal before the economic crisis came full swing.  The historic Book-Cadillac hotel just reopened this year after sitting vacant for over 20 years.  The downtown residential market is practically non-existent, which is unfortunate.

I'm not sure what kind of specific information you're looking for.  There are plenty of cities and townships around Detroit that have significant historic value as well (old Birmingham, Royal Oak, Northville for a few examples).  Downtown Detroit is busy on the weekends with athletics (the Tigers, Lions and Red Wings all play downtown) and shows (there are a lot of theaters and venues downtown), but there's also a mass exodus to the suburbs when those events end.

Like previous posters have mentioned, it really is a continuous street grid for many miles outside the city.  The suburbs are fairly densely packed. 

If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

blackbird wrote: If you have more specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
If you were, with ALL options on the table, to sell your soul to the City of Detroit as a young person...where would you live and where would you drink?

Thank you for your response so far...
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Some thoughts..

- I used to travel there a lot for business and never had single issue with downtown Detroit. This included drunken late night bar hopping. Random violence can happen anywhere.

- I spent an afternoon in Royal Oak and it's downtown kind of reminded me of downtown Lawrence/Mass St. Pretty vibrant area. You can get to downtown pretty quickly from RO. Here's a cheesy video from their website: http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/media/RoyalOak.wmv

- Ann Arbor is nearby (about 45 minutes) and a great town.

- My parents both grew up off of Mack Ave in Grosse Pointe just north of the city. Nice little community. Lot's of the housing stock reminds me of Brookside area.

-  Great summer trips can be had up north ... Traverse City, Mackinac Island, Cherry Fest.

- If I was single and had a solid career opportunity, I'd go for it.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

warwickland wrote: If you were, with ALL options on the table, to sell your soul to the City of Detroit as a young person...where would you live and where would you drink?

Thank you for your response so far...
I would both live and drink in either Ferndale/Royal Oak or Ann Arbor.  Both places have a lot of variety in terms of bars and restaurants and have a pretty vibrant younger community.  Royal Oak/Ferndale would put you closer to downtown (right down Woodward).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

No offense to Detroit because I think it's ill personally, but I wouldn't make a dedicated trip there unless you are doing some sort of scholarly research about post-industrialism or visiting a friend.