KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by Mhudson »

This doesn't have to do with KC in TV or Movies, but I thought it was pretty random so I'll share.  I was just flipping through the new "Outside" magazine, and there was a section reviewing GPS systems.  Almost all of the systems had kansas city streets on the screens.  Just a random observation.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Sae a replay of a SNL sketch the other night where some dude was playing basketball against Lebron James and laid down some smack about how he had played high school ball for the SM West Vikings. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Mhudson wrote: This doesn't have to do with KC in TV or Movies, but I thought it was pretty random so I'll share.  I was just flipping through the new "Outside" magazine, and there was a section reviewing GPS systems.  Almost all of the systems had kansas city streets on the screens.  Just a random observation.
Yeah, Garmin has been running a full page print ad in lots of national magazines lately that has a picture of some dude standing in front of the USBank building on Barney Allis Plaza.  I was reading The Economist last week and did a double take. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Sae a replay of a SNL sketch the other night where some dude was playing basketball against Lebron James and laid down some smack about how he had played high school ball for the SM West Vikings. 
Yea. He actually did go to SM West and he works Kansas City or Overland Park in a lot of his sketches.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah, Garmin has been running a full page print ad in lots of national magazines lately that has a picture of some dude standing in front of the USBank building on Barney Allis Plaza.  I was reading The Economist last week and did a double take. 
What surprised me most is that these weren't even all garmin units, either way its cool to see the connection, even if its something small
Teacher
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Teacher »

Aren't we forgetting books? I only skimmed this board so actually I'm not sure.

I recently read "An American Tragedy" by Theodore Dreiser (1925), which was based on a true story. It's set in the early 1900s and the first part takes place in Kansas City. Clyde, the main character, gets a job as a bell-hop at the Green-Davidson Hotel, which in the book at least was a really big deal. It was really cool reading over "Stroud's at the corner of 14th and Baltimore" and especially when there's a car accident coming back from a day trip to Excelsior Springs. If I were still in grad school I'd have to find some way of doing more historical research on all the places mentioned in the book.

Apparently the real story had nothing to do with Kansas City, and most of the book takes place in upstate New York anyway. I wouldn't actually recommend the book unless you really enjoy heavy, repetitive, drab books that go on for 800+ pages. It is listed on the many lists of 100 Best Novels Written in English though and has something to say about how society helps to form its criminals.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

While I was in Kohls the other day looking for a fathers day present, they announced on the intercom that you could sign up to be entered in a raffle to be a guest at a party that will be host to Throwdown with Bobby Flay. They said the event would take place on June 20th in Kansas City.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There's a United Way ad running with Brian Waters of the KC Chiefs. He shows some kids around Arrowhead, then takes them to the Jazz Museum at 18th and Vine.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Not sure if this was brought up but The Lookout has been on cable lately, a thriller based around KC area (but shot in Canada as usual).  It has Blvd Beer all over it.  An above average thriller at that...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427470/
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

ignatius wrote: Not sure if this was brought up but The Lookout has been on cable lately, a thriller based around KC area (but shot in Canada as usual).  It has Blvd Beer all over it.  An above average thriller at that...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0427470/
I saw that!  They were a bit confused though, the kid lived in rural Kansas but played in the state championship against Raytown!
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by phxcat »

grovester wrote: I saw that!  They were a bit confused though, the kid lived in rural Kansas but played in the state championship against Raytown!
Yeah, I remember someone in Facts of Life having gone to Truman High School in Kansas City Kansas.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

grovester wrote: I saw that!  They were a bit confused though, the kid lived in rural Kansas but played in the state championship against Raytown!
It should have been confusing enough that they were playing hockey in Kansas City.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

there's a contestant from olathe on this season of HGTV's design star. she'll be voted off soon because she's annoying.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Yesterday, SciFi showed the movie, "Asteroid." - Which is a movie about an asteriod coming to Earth, set to hit Kansas City.  So, they evauate the KC area.  The asteroid hits The Freeman Reservoir in Downtown Kansas City, flooding the now ghost town of a city.  Only I-285 remains open in Kansas City.  After the Kansas City Military Base allows people back into the city, the citizens of KC are back and celebrating the 4th of July in their houses only to find out that thousands more asteroids are coming in 27 minutes and a "big" asteroid hits Dallas.  Once Dallas gets destroyed, the fire fighters in Kansas City go down to help.

While they mention real KC suburbs like Overland Park, Liberty, and Gladstone, they show shots of Dowtown Denver and call it Kansas City.  They also mention fake intersections like "5th & Jackson" and "3rd and Clover."  They also show fake radio stations.

Some info about the movie... http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue39/screen.html
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

So you're criticizing a movie in which an asteroid hits the earth for not being historically accurate?  :lol:

AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCMax wrote: So you're criticizing a movie in which an asteroid hits the earth for not being historically accurate?  :lol:
LOL.  No.  I'm saying that if they're not going to get their facts right, why can't it be something like, "Thousands of Kansas Citians chose to stay in Kansas City to celebrate the Royals winning the World Series in 4 games over the St. Louis Yankees."   - or - "They started allowing people to return to Kansas City.  But, now we find out that an asteroid is headed for Dallas, the same city where the Kansas City Chiefs will be playing the Kansas City Rams in the Super Bowl."
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

That was actually an NBC original movie that they aired on a Sunday night ten or eleven years ago.  My family used to have a Sunday night tradition of heading over to my grandmother's for dinner and then just hanging around for a few hours afterward; we saw that movie "premiere" and I still distinctly remember everyone having a pretty good time with that movie's fake KC geography.  At the time I was mostly just excited that KC was gonna be a prominent location in the movie, but then when we actually saw it I had mixed feelings about it.  Not to mention that, not surprisingly, the movie itself is just downright awful.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

phuqueue wrote: That was actually an NBC original movie that they aired on a Sunday night ten or eleven years ago.
Yep!  I remember that.  At that time, you could order the movie on VHS.  We ordered it and have a copy.  We only watch the first part since that's when KC is mention/shown most.

Also, I remember Kelly Urich on Mix 93.3 talking about how infactual the movie was about KC.  At the time, the new phone book (Southwestern Bell, I believe) came out with a map of KC with all of the attractions in the wrong places.  So, I joked that maybe the producers used that map when they were filming the movie.
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

FYI:

David Cook will be on a rerun episode of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno tonight.

(I know how David Cook Fever has hit everyone on this forum.)   :lol:
Last edited by AllThingsKC on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC is the way to be!
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

on extreme makeover home edition just now, they visited Kansas City Speedway.

MY HOW kc HAS GROWN!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!