GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Maitre D wrote:
Cleveland has outscored their opponents though.  Their record isn't indicative of a team that's doing that.   Should be a winning team.
Yeah but look at their mounting injuries.  You don't actually think they are going to keep Sabathia do you?  With him gone and Carmona hobbled don't count on that run differential staying in the black for long. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah but look at their mounting injuries.  You don't actually think they are going to keep Sabathia do you?  With him gone and Carmona hobbled don't count on that run differential staying in the black for long. 
Yes, they'll trade CC at the deadline.  Yes, they'll likely finish 4th or maybe even last in the division.   

But they don't stink.  And they have some really nice pieces going into next year, if they get healthy.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Mhudson wrote: You mean 9-1 in their last 10
You are correct. My apologies.

Here is their record by day

Monday      4-3 .571
Tuesday      5-7 .416
Wednesday  6-5 .545
Thursday    4-9 .307
Friday        3-8 .250
Saturday    5-7 .416
Sunday      8-4 .666 

They like Sundays and hate Fridays.
Last edited by Ez Street on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Maitre D wrote: Yes, they'll trade CC at the deadline.   Yes, they'll likely finish 4th or maybe even last in the division.   

But they don't stink.  And they have some really nice pieces going into next year, if they get healthy.
Can't you just agree that the Royals are about the same?  Sure, Indians have proven hitters, pitchers, etc.  But the Royals are getting to be that way, just younger.  I can't think of a team that would complain if Soria, Greinke, or Guillen (among maybe a couple others) were on their team.  We just don't get the coverage those teams get.  For once just be happy with the hometown team going 9-1 in their last 10 instead of getting down on them.  They go out there to win, and thats what they've been doing lately.
jlbomega
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by jlbomega »

Mhudson wrote: Can't you just agree that the Royals are about the same? 
MD can't agree with anyone, and even if he did he would argue a different point just because he has nothing better to do.  The Indians have a lot of nice pieces, but they were supposed to be a contender the past three seasons.  Barring a major turn around they will end up not being a contender in two of the past three seasons.  The Indians really are not much different than the Royals... both teams have a lot of young pieces that have not lived up to expectation. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Mhudson wrote: For once just be happy with the hometown team going 9-1 in their last 10 instead of getting down on them.  They go out there to win, and thats what they've been doing lately.
I don't know how anyone couldn't be happy with the Royals right now; anyone with reasonable expectations that is.  This team is playing good baseball and winning games the right way.  They are getting fairly solid starting pitching (Hochevar and Davies are suspect), the bats have been somewhat inconsistent, but pretty solid over the past two weeks.  The middle relief is stellar with Nunez and Mahay and our closer is one of the best in the game.  Moore is building this team the right way.  Young, solid pitching.  We do need more bats to contend, however.  Hopefully Aviles can stay hot. 

With all of that said, we are 8 games under .500 and 8 games out of first place.  We've won 4 straight series.  And we've been doing it, again, with solid pitching and good offense.  Not too many fluke wins in that stretch.  Naysayers can make excuses for why other teams could be better, but those same excuses could be made for the Royals.  Remember that 12 game losing streak?  Fluke.  We win even 3-4 of those games and we're sitting at 4 under .500 and right in the middle of the AL Central.

There are 18 games until the allstar break.  We're 8 under.  If we keep knocking the ball around behind our pitching, I look for us to be 4-5 under by the break.  I don't think this is wishful thinking. 
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

I don't know about all the pessimism toward the Indians.  They're not doing great this year, but like MD pointed out, they do have a +14 run differential (compared to KC's -47), and that's even in spite of Sabathia struggling through April to the tune of a 7.76 ERA.  The Royals got pretty unlucky with their Pythagorean expectation for last season, and that's what's happening to the Indians right now too.  Based on their run differential, the Indians should be 40-37 right now, five games better than their actual record (and 2.5 games out of first place).  And I'd say their young position players are far ahead of the Royals, although if Gordon and Butler both end up being what everyone hopes they'll be and if DeJesus can keep hitting like he has been indefinitely and if Teahen returns to 2006 form and if Buck can hit 20+ home runs a year and on and on with the ifs, or if the Royals can replace any of those guys with someone who can do those things, then they'll start closing the gap with the Indians.  I don't think it's true at all that the Royals and Indians are "about the same" right now, but the Royals should be aiming to do what the Indians have been doing, and preferably to do it even better.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

I hate to jinx anything, but the Indians are currently down 3 in the bottom of the 8th.  I won't say anything about the Royals until the game is over! 
ddw334umkc
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ddw334umkc »

Mhudson wrote: I hate to jinx anything, but the Indians are currently down 3 in the bottom of the 8th.  I won't say anything about the Royals until the game is over! 

The Royals won and the Indians lost.  We are now one game over Cleveland.
"Let's get it!"
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

ddw334umkc wrote:
The Royals won and the Indians lost.  We are now one game over Cleveland.
Half a game over.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Hi, Michael.
royalsinkcmo wrote: Do we play Pittsburgh or DC this year to have more chances to win more I-70 series'?
No.
KC is the way to be!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KansasCityCraka wrote: Half a game over.
It kind of sucks that the Royals are off tomorrow and the Indians play.  GO GIANTS!!!!
KC is the way to be!
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

AllThingsKC wrote: It kind of sucks that the Royals are off tomorrow and the Indians play.  GO GIANTS!!!!
The worst that will happen is we'll be tied going into Friday's series.  I'm pretty stoked, never thought I'd say it, but GO GIANTS!  Wow, its fun being a fan of a winning (recently) team!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Mhudson wrote: The worst that will happen is we'll be tied going into Friday's series.  I'm pretty stoked, never thought I'd say it, but GO GIANTS!  Wow, its fun being a fan of a winning (recently) team!
I know what you mean.  I got used to rooting AGAINST the Giants.

In any event, these Turd Birds suck!!!  Not only did they let another loss get away from them tonight, they fell out of last place!  Stupid Turd Birds!!!!
GO
KC is the way to be!
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

Well, a few days ago I told KC-wildcat to temper his expectations when he called for the Royals to sweep the Rockies and take at least two of three from the Giants.  I guess that I stand corrected here.  Hopefully the Royals can take the weekend series against the Cardinals too -- and hopefully this will be the spark they need to get their asses in gear against AL opponents, too.  They were a game under .500 in their first 43 games, so they have plenty of potential to not be awful even against the AL, but they haven't consistently done it yet.  It's gonna be really disappointing if this 12-3 record against the NL just gives way to another 4-19 or whatever horrible stretch of games they can conjure up against the AL.  But before we even worry about that, let's see a series win against the Cards.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Watching this team every day, they really don't seem like the 12-game losing streak type of team we've grown used to. We actually have guys who can pitch strikes! And there are several guys on the roster capable of batting in runs! For the first time since I can remember, it was actually surprising that they lost that many games in a row, and I will be surprised if they come close to that bad of a run again this year.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

Royals are now 36 - 43.

At this time last year we were 31 - 46.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

voltopt wrote: Relax... its a long season.  We arn't even halfway through yet.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

phuqueue wrote: Well, a few days ago I told KC-wildcat to temper his expectations when he called for the Royals to sweep the Rockies and take at least two of three from the Giants.  I guess that I stand corrected here.  Hopefully the Royals can take the weekend series against the Cardinals too -- and hopefully this will be the spark they need to get their asses in gear against AL opponents, too.  They were a game under .500 in their first 43 games, so they have plenty of potential to not be awful even against the AL, but they haven't consistently done it yet.  It's gonna be really disappointing if this 12-3 record against the NL just gives way to another 4-19 or whatever horrible stretch of games they can conjure up against the AL.  But before we even worry about that, let's see a series win against the Cards.

Maybe it's time for Max to finally admit defeat on the whole, 'The NL-AL thing don't mean a thing"....thing.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

???? I never said the AL and NL are exactly alike. My argument was that sports changes awfully quickly. Remember when the AL Central was a joke while the NL Central was sending two teams to the playoffs? It seemed like a smart idea that the Royals stayed in the AL. Making long-term decisions based on short-term trends is foolish.

Besides, they're turd birds! They can't win even if you put them in the MINOR LEAGUES! LOL LMFAO!! OMG!!!111
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag