Closed Bars and Restaurants

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Closed Bars and Restaurants

Post by DaveKCMO »

i have personally cheered the demise of some of these places and won't apologize for it. people are voting the same way with their dollars. most of these places were low-rent hold-outs that were not competitive with new offerings (or just very badly executed... see paddy's). adapt or die.

i also won't miss SUVs, cassettes, and bag phones.

Image = TANNER'S
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

KCPowercat wrote: well I will predict all of these closed locations don't sit empty for YEARS.
Drafter's closed in 2006, and hasn't even had the dust washed off.

The Phoenix closed in 2007, and the alarm is still going off.

Maybe these are isolated incidents, but nobody appears to be rushing back into these places to reopen them, despite the fact that there are lots of moneyed residents close by. In light of that latter fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the problem lies with dealing with Kansas City.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

How many bars and restaurants does downtown need?

Between the river and crown center there are a lot of sit-down places and drinking holes. Almost too many in my opinion. It would take months just to eat at every restaurant in the downtown area. There needs to be more counter-service restaurants, neighborhood retail like convenience stores, dry cleaning, coffee shops, doctors' offices, corner banks, etc. 

No one misses the places that closed. P. Ott's and Tanner's? Why is no one sad? They sucked. Life goes on. When places start to close that people actually patronized or get nostalgic about I will get concerned.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

The Phoenix was pretty well-liked.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

trailerkid wrote: How many bars and restaurants does downtown need?

Between the river and crown center there are a lot of sit-down places and drinking holes. Almost too many in my opinion. It would take months just to eat at every restaurant in the downtown area. There needs to be more counter-service restaurants, neighborhood retail like convenience stores, dry cleaning, coffee shops, doctors' offices, corner banks, etc. 

No one misses the places that closed. P. Ott's and Tanner's? Why is no one sad? They sucked. Life goes on. When places start to close that people actually patronized or get nostalgic about I will get concerned.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote: How many bars and restaurants does downtown need?

As someone who lives downtown, I'm a bit sad. While the food was mediocre, it was cheaper and better than places such as McFadden's. Sure, I can blame myself too...I've been eating out at the P&L because it's new...but I still enjoy those days where I can eat and have a beer for $10.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The wrap place on Grand is closed downtown.....can't remember the name of it.  The chipotle knockoff.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: The wrap place on Grand is closed downtown.....can't remember the name of it.  The chipotle knockoff.
"all wrapped up"?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

elextendo wrote: I think Shiraz is closed or closing, sign says building FOR SALE..
according to our server last night, business is fine and the building is just for sale (repped by the nicholson group).
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

I heard he is retiring Alle?(the owner)maybe a rumor..
P&L Free since 2008
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Other closed Bars/Restaurants:

Cactus Jack's
Pretzl's
Humphrey's
La Mediterinie
Log Cabin
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Is 7 still open?  Haven't been by there in a while. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bahua wrote: Drafter's closed in 2006, and hasn't even had the dust washed off.

The Phoenix closed in 2007, and the alarm is still going off.
Drafters = F'd up building ownership

Phoenix = Litigation
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: I thought it was the smoking ban?  no wait economy?

I'd love to see the sales pre & post smoking ban around this town.   The owner at Spivey's in Lenexa says that the ban is really hurting his place.   I can't see any way imaginable that he's the only one feeling the effects of the Smoking Inquisition.

There's a reason the boats wanted this exemption.  One day, the voters will clue into it.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Maitre D wrote:
I'd love to see the sales pre & post smoking ban around this town.   The owner at Spivey's in Lenexa says that the ban is really hurting his place.   I can't see any way imaginable that he's the only one feeling the effects of the Smoking Inquisition.

There's a reason the boats wanted this exemption.   One day, the voters will clue into it.

Zoo had 3 customers Friday night.  Normally on a Friday there would be a steady base of regulars + several spurts of 10-15 people at a time.  And Tuesday night they closed at 10:30... normally on Tuesdays they have enough customers they stay open until 12:30-1:00.

Shooter's had 6 customers Saturday afternoon for lunch.  Normally they have about 30.

I saw 4 customers at Stables after work Friday.  Normally that place is half full immediately after work.

Caddyshack had decent business last Friday night but much of it was on the patio (except for during the rain).
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I have to wonder about the Bulldog rumors - I walk by it usually at least a couple nights a week and it has been a long time since I have seen more than a small handful of people inside.  Perhaps they are still doing a good late night/weekend business.  But their weeknight evening business looks comatose. 
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I have to wonder about the Bulldog rumors - I walk by it usually at least a couple nights a week and it has been a long time since I have seen more than a small handful of people inside.  Perhaps they are still doing a good late night/weekend business.  But their weeknight evening business looks comatose. 
Perhaps if it didn't smell like my grandpas pool room after having all his buddies over for a Pall Mall nonfilter party then they would get my business.  The place is disgusting!  The food was decent but I'd go in and the art theme would be dead bodies or murdered puppies, the music would be way too loud for a dinner conversation and the place reeked of smoke. 
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by rosedalian »

I was amazed a couple weeks to go into Fric-n-Frac a week ago Saturday for lunch and the place was packed!  Granted, who doesn't love $1.85 tacos, but it didn't seem to be slow at all.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Fric n' Frac has a lot of young business.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

scooterj wrote:
Zoo had 3 customers Friday night.  Normally on a Friday there would be a steady base of regulars + several spurts of 10-15 people at a time.  And Tuesday night they closed at 10:30... normally on Tuesdays they have enough customers they stay open until 12:30-1:00.

Shooter's had 6 customers Saturday afternoon for lunch.  Normally they have about 30.

I saw 4 customers at Stables after work Friday.  Normally that place is half full immediately after work.

Caddyshack had decent business last Friday night but much of it was on the patio (except for during the rain).
It's sad the regulars that supported these places, drop it like an old hat.  Obviously these aren't mainstream bars and they depend on regular business from a very small niche....sad.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc