Midtownkid's Week in LA: Downton

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Midtownkid's Week in LA: Downton

Post by Midtownkid »

Just got back from a week in LA and Palm Springs.  Wow, I was really surprised.  LA has amazing weather...but the city itself left a lot to be desired.  Most of us on here would hate LA.  I visited most of the major neighborhoods: Beverly Hills, Downtown, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Malibu, Santa Monica, and Venice Beach.  I saw a lot of amazing art deco, spanish, and modern architecture, but I also saw a lot of UGLY buildings.  The entire city is in gridlock in most of the time.  You have to drive almost everywhere.  People actually look down on walking from place to place as 'something poor people do.' 

LA looks much better on TV.  It has some great nodes of buildings, but they are connected with ugly strips.  As far as the built environment is concerned, KC has a lot to be thankful for.  In LA some of the most expensive and trendy places are next to really ugly places or in ugly structures themselves.  Beverly Hills, with a few exceptions is architecturally UGLY.  Ward Parkway is way better as far as the houses go.  The trees and plants are beautiful, but the houses are mostly from the 50-80s along with some McMansions. 

This house is in BEVERLY HILLS and with in walking distance of RODEO DRIVE!!!  It is so ugly...and it's not alone.

Don't get me wrong.  The trip was awesome.  The weather is unbeatable and a lot of the people seemed nice (and good looking).  A lot of the architecture was cool, too...it just isn't an urbanite's city.  I have tons of pictures.  If anyone wants to see some, or some of particular areas, let me know and I'll post them.  I'm tired now and don't want to post them if no one is too interested...
Last edited by Midtownkid on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Midtownkid's Week in LA

Post by Midtownkid »

Oh yeah, I tried Pink Berry.  It was pretty good, but not amazing...basically just soft serve yogurt with fresh fruit placed on top.  In and Out was pretty good, but again, mostly Hype.  (Winsteds is just as good if not better)  Now Sprinkles was really amazing.  I know everyone has their own trendy cupcake places, but this really was amazing! (It's location, being near Rodeo, was fun to go to also)
Last edited by Midtownkid on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
nightotter
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by nightotter »

nice write up. I'll be in LA in mid-August, my first trip. I am looking forward to it.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the pics you took.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

interesting. i don't agree with your selection for ugliest house, but i think we're all very distracted by that hideous chrysler new yorker in the drive.

LA is a great place to visit if you have friends there who know where to go. otherwise, it is too spread out and "pocket-y" for my tastes, which makes walking it a chore (and believe me, i tried!).
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

DaveKCMO wrote: interesting. i don't agree with your selection for ugliest house, but i think we're all very distracted by that hideous chrysler new yorker in the drive.

LA is a great place to visit if you have friends there who know where to go. otherwise, it is too spread out and "pocket-y" for my tastes, which makes walking it a chore (and believe me, i tried!).
I agree...

L.A. is gridlocked most of the time too.. Pinkberry is amazing! don't knock.. and In and Out is addicting.  but just IMO. haha. 

BTW, Beverly Hills is nice, but I think you might have missed out on the nicest neighborhoods in L.A. which are more of the Brentwood, Holmby Hills, Malibu areas.  Beverly Hills is more well known, but not as nice overall.  But hey, maybe next time.
supastudio
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by supastudio »

DaveKCMO wrote: interesting. i don't agree with your selection for ugliest house, but i think we're all very distracted by that hideous chrysler new yorker in the drive.

LA pretty much demonstrates what most forum members hate about sprawl. As for California goes, San Francisco would be one of the best pedestrian friendly cities out there. San Diego is similar to LA but, nicer in my opinion.  I have friends and family in all three cities, and get invited to go visit every year. Lets just say, my schedule usually opens up when getting invited to SF and SD, while my schedule seems to get very busy when my cousin calls from LA!  :D
"Architecture is to be experienced by moving through it rather than looking at it."
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I did go with a friend who knows LA pretty well and we met up w/ his friends who live in LA.  I also mapped out LA, splitting it into districts, and researched all the places I wanted to see there.  I mean, we saw some pretty cool individual establishments...LA is good with interiors and individual destinations, it's the overall layout (or lack there of) that sucks.  I may have researched too much, making me expect too much and imagine it to be even better.  Malibu was nice, very beautiful.  But the houses I saw were just below my expectations.  The houses crammed to the pacific side of the PCH were interesting, and the ones I could see in the hills were modern and interesting...just different that I imagined.  I think some of the best houses were hidden, away from the PCH.  We drove away from it and up into the cliffs for a bit, but what we saw still didn't meet my expectations.  I think the problem is that I like East Coast type cities and appreciate older architecture more.  San Fran is way more my type of city!  I've been there many times and love it.  If only it have the weather of LA...

I'll post some pics...I really wanted to, just too tired lastnight.  I'm having trouble though.  Photobucket is taking too long!  Anyone know some good, fast uploading sites.  A problem may be that I have 2MB pics....
Last edited by Midtownkid on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Midtownkid's Week in LA *pictures added*

Post by Midtownkid »

Here are some pictures of my 'downtown day'.  There downtown is starting to wake up, but wow...it is behind!  Even ours is coming along faster.  There is a lot of potential though.

First went to the historic art deco library for a FREE 1230 tour.  This building was almost torn down in 1993!!!  I can't imagine.  The free tour is a good idea for anyone interested in old buildings.

Next checked out the Biltmore Hotel and it's awesome lobby.  (you may recognize the lobby from Independence Day, president's wife stayed here...I may just be a nerd...haha)

Later checked out their old theater district.  It is in a shambles, but full of awesome buildings.  A few lofts are transforming some of these buildings:

The Beautiful Eastern Columbia building, now lofts

Next we walked down to the Bradbery Building, an amazing 1880s building.  You may recognize it from Blade Runner...

Next we headed to the Civic Center:

LA Times and it's weird 1970s addition

Calitrans, a modern behemoth.

Their Beautiful City Hall.  It's now 'earthquake proof.'

The dilapidated 'Hall of Justice'

Next walked up to Disney Hall.  LA Times was running a story about how it is only 5 years old and starting to deteriorate badly...may have been a bit dramatic

Feet were getting really tired by this time...but headed on to the Pueblo and Union Station area.

Their Union Station was known as the 'last great train station.'

Their Beautiful Post Office

Last two pictures are of the 'Pueblo' or the original LA settlement.  Def cool to see a bit of old LA...they were filming something for ABC here, so it was hard to enjoy, but still cool.

I have a ton more pics from all different areas of LA...I'll upload them over the next few days.  Enjoy!! 
Last edited by Midtownkid on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Midtownkid's Week in LA *pictures added*

Post by DaveKCMO »

Midtownkid wrote: Next walked up to Disney Hall.  LA Times was running a story about how it is only 5 years old and starting to deteriorate badly...may have been a bit dramatic
gehry = fail