Mi Cocina Closes

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mi Cocina Closes

Post by mean »

We need a Lou Malnati's.

Also, it's Uno. Just Uno. Do you shop at Wal-Mart's?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

As a one-time Chicagoan, I would actually patronize a Lou Malnati's on the Plaza (moreso than Uno; hell, I didn't even patronize that in Chicago itself).

As it is, there are two places I eat with anything resembling frequency on the Plaza, and both are bars. Most of my stand-alone restaurants of choice are more outta my neighborhood.
Mhudson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Mhudson »

I know this is off the Mi Cocina subject, but one thing I never understood about Uno Pizzeria is its not even Chicago-style pizza outside of Chicago.  Its just a deeper pan pizza.  A Giorgiano's would definitely satisfy me though...I was never a big fan of Lou Malnati's and it was only a block from my old house!  Just not my taste I guess.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Mhudson wrote: I know this is off the Mi Cocina subject, but one thing I never understood about Uno Pizzeria is its not even Chicago-style pizza outside of Chicago.  Its just a deeper pan pizza.  A Giorgiano's would definitely satisfy me though...I was never a big fan of Lou Malnati's and it was only a block from my old house!  Just not my taste I guess.
They could replace it with the Dish out of Liberty. 
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

It's Pizzeria Uno, and Giordano's.

Also, I think Tarantino's makes much better Chicago-style than the dish, and uses much tastier ingredients, especially the meats. The Dish does however have a focus on beer, which is nice.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

bahua wrote: It's Pizzeria Uno, and Giordano's.

Also, I think Tarantino's makes much better Chicago-style than the dish, and uses much tastier ingredients, especially the meats. The Dish does however have a focus on beer, which is nice.
I too like Tarantino's  - I just picture The Dish would be a bit more natural fit for a second location on the plaza - in this hypothetical/rumor where Uno really is closing and must be replaced by a Chicago style Pizza restaurant. 
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bahua wrote: It's Pizzeria Uno
There is one Pizzeria Uno, located in Chicago.  There is also a Pizzeria Due, located not far from Pizzeria Uno.  Both of these have pretty decent Chicago-style deep dish, if you like that style.

The other chain locations spread throughout are called Uno Chicago Grill, and they serve a somewhat different menu than the two Chicago stalwarts that date back to the middle of last century.

Giordano's, incidentally, serves a stuffed pizza, with a top layer of crust, rather than a traditional Chicago-style deep dish.

This has nothing to do with Mi Cocina.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

AJoD wrote: The other chain locations spread throughout are called Uno Chicago Grill, and they serve a somewhat different menu than the two Chicago stalwarts that date back to the middle of last century.
Yeah, I noticed a couple years ago that they changed the signs. I wonder why they did.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

bahua wrote: Yeah, I noticed a couple years ago that they changed the signs. I wonder why they did.
I think they didn't want to be pigeonholed as a pizza joint, especially a heavy, cheesy, deep dish, casserole-like, pizza joint.

In fact, it's been named America's healthiest chain restaurant by Health Magazine.  That's an easier sell as a grill than a pizzeria.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Latin addition

Blair Hurst is increasing his area restaurant holdings by adding the former Mi Cocina spot to his roster.

Hurst plans to open Blue Agave, a Latin-influenced concept, in the space at 614 W. 48th St. in early January. Cuisine will range from southwest U.S. to Mexican to the Caribbean.

It also will have outdoor seating.

Since his Baja 600 down the block is a similar concept, Hurst said, it will “rapidly” change.

As for his long-awaited English pub, Jack Gage American Tavern at 5031 Main St., construction proved more complex than planned, so the project was slowed a bit. But Hurst hopes to open it this fall.

Hurst also took over the former KC Masterpiece Barbecue & Grill in Overland Park in early 2006.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag