Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by heatherkay »

Not sure that this merits a separate thread yet (it's still "coming soon"), but I saw a sign today that Silk Road Travellers is moving into one of the street-level retail spots at 500 Delaware (http://silkroadtravelers.com/).  Looks like a good fit for the area, which is starving for other stuff to do other than eat or buy food.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we ate at delaware cafe yesterday (didn't find a thread for it). it was amazing! i can't believe they're only open 11-2 M-F. sandwiches, salads, soups and a daily pizza and pasta... and a free cookie at the end of the meal!
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

DaveKCMO wrote: i can't believe they're only open 11-2 M-F.
That's exactly why I have lived a block away from it for 2 years and have yet to try it. Bogus hours.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: That's exactly why I have lived a block away from it for 2 years and have yet to try it. Bogus hours.
OK, guess somebody has got to get the news out.  The Delaware Market Cafe is under new ownership, as of the past few weeks.  They have applied for a liquor license.  They will expand into dinner, breakfast and weekend hours. (hot damn! now we're talking)

Their menu will reflect few changes initially.  They state that for now they want to focus on improving what comes out of the kitchen and then introduce additions/changes over time.

Support your locals!
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Wow, that's great news!
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

If this is another remarketing of the City Market this would make about the 4th or 5th time since the late 80's.  And from what I gather from the article they still do not know what to do with this resource.  Given the makeover of the surrounding area it would appear that the best use would be businesses that cater to the locals along with the farmer's market for the wider area.  Throw in a few restaurants and you just might make the area a success. 

Discounts Unlimited: Crappy hours, surly help, unreliable merchandise. What's not to like?

If you want to walk from your home to a Dollar Store, move to a neighborhood where a Dollar Store is likely to locate. 

As to a c-store in the RM, ask Tucker Graves how he did at Garrett's, unfortunately. There are a little more than 700 housing units in the River Market, and just over a thousand residents.  If this constituted enough market for a convenience store, the marketplace would put one there.

River Market residents have an incredible number of eating/shopping/hanging choices. I most miss the Cup and Saucer---and I wish the City Market had good produce during the week. 
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yeah, I wish that City Market had better produce too during the week.  The permanent stalls often put out low-quality goods--usually with rotting portions buried in the carton.  It's like they buy up anything that no one else wants, and try and sell it to the public.

I pretty much gave up trying to buy strawberries and blueberries there, since most turns moldy the next day. Some of it's moldy to begin with.  The motto of these stalls should be: "Buy and eat it today because tomorrow you'll be throwing it out."

The produce needs to be fresher and there needs to be a greater variety during the week.

The City Market should be throwing out the low-quality produce vendors that sell a lot of crap.
There is no fifth destination.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

loftguy wrote: OK, guess somebody has got to get the news out.  The Delaware Market Cafe is under new ownership, as of the past few weeks.  They have applied for a liquor license.  They will expand into dinner, breakfast and weekend hours. (hot damn! now we're talking)

Their menu will reflect few changes initially.  They state that for now they want to focus on improving what comes out of the kitchen and then introduce additions/changes over time.

Support your locals!
I was hoping that would happen with the construction going on there. Great news.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

FangKC wrote: Yeah, I wish that City Market had better produce too during the week.  The permanent stalls often put out low-quality goods--usually with rotting portions buried in the carton.  It's like they buy up anything that no one else wants, and try and sell it to the public.

I pretty much gave up trying to buy strawberries and blueberries there, since most turns moldy the next day. Some of it's moldy to begin with.  The motto of these stalls should be: "Buy and eat it today because tomorrow you'll be throwing it out."

The produce needs to be fresher and there needs to be a greater variety during the week.

The City Market should be throwing out the low-quality produce vendors that sell a lot of crap.
This isn't universally the case. You get to know which vendors are good for which things from experience. It is very easy to tell the condition of the produce anyway. Obviously the summer is the best, though, with fresh produce from local farmers.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

staubio wrote: This isn't universally the case. You get to know which vendors are good for which things from experience. It is very easy to tell the condition of the produce anyway. Obviously the summer is the best, though, with fresh produce from local farmers.
Yeah, I haven't had a problem in a long time. I'm not saying it should be this way, but you just have to go down there with the idea of getting fruit rather than a specific kind and just picking up stuff that's in good condition.

And, really, the only major problem I've had in the Market was getting peaches from a vendor in the farmer's market that made my girlfriend throw up.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

towncow wrote: As to a c-store in the RM, ask Tucker Graves how he did at Garrett's, unfortunately. There are a little more than 700 housing units in the River Market, and just over a thousand residents.  If this constituted enough market for a convenience store, the marketplace would put one there.
He moved his operation to the back of a building on what was then a deserted "street" (actually a dirt road with an active rail line down the center of it) across from a smattering of boarded up empty buildings with virtually no signage.  Until he did that, his business was great.  After he did that, no one could find it.  I didn't even know it existed for the first year I lived in the River Market, and by the time I did finally figure out where it was, it was closed within a few weeks.  Most of the people I knew in the RM at that time had no idea it was there.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Garrett would have done better at 3rd and Grand where the Asian market is now.

Actually, he would have done even better if he'd had several continuous stalls combined into one grocery market on the east side of the City Market where the Steamboat Arabia is.  That location would have had some parking and been visible.
There is no fifth destination.
RiverMarketDweller
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by RiverMarketDweller »

heatherkay wrote: Not sure that this merits a separate thread yet (it's still "coming soon"), but I saw a sign today that Silk Road Travellers is moving into one of the street-level retail spots at 500 Delaware (http://silkroadtravelers.com/).  Looks like a good fit for the area, which is starving for other stuff to do other than eat or buy food.
Pam, one of the co-owners, is great. She lives in my building and tells some of the best stories especially about the time she spent living in China. (they still have a house there)  The price of the furniture is not cheap but these are pieces you own for a lifetime which will make up for it and she can tell you all about each piece.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

The key focus in the long term should be to develop the surface parking lots in the area.  Their is enough business and residents in the 6 blocks or so that make up the city market to warrant developing those lots.  Look at the lot directly west of the market on the north end of 5th and you could back into the sloping wall perfectly with a 2-4 story parking garage.  Have street level retail on the 5th street side and leave room on the backend (west side) side of the market for deliveries and special vehicles.  Hide the garage like they do in parts of downtown (library garage, 10th and central) and the plaza with murals and public art.  This would open up the other lots to development because they would be no longer needed.  You know their are developers that would move in a heart beat to put in condos, offices, a hotel etc.  Plus if one consider what is in the pipeline in the area with the bridgeworks completion, the green condos, the 2nd and Wyandotte development, and many others, this area will only be more active in the near future. This seems like the most obvious and sure fire way to develop the RM in the long term.  Currently these blocks leave it feeling very cold and impersonal.  If you want a depressing experience walk around the rivermarket at 7 p.m. on a Sunday and their is not ONE operation open and it feels like an absolute ghost town.  And the surface parking only enhances the coldness and feeling of slowness further.   
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

RM is the most accessible urban neighborhood for redevelopment. The demo they need to further exploit is young, urban, professionals like Portland has done with the Pearl District. I'm not a big fan of the RM, but it has the right building stock, cleared lots, and location to become "the place to live" for young professionals. A lot more infill needs to happen that focuses on building more modern homes and businesses. Another case where the city needs to work with developers to plan something more than another city hodgepodge.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

kc-vino wrote: The key focus in the long term should be to develop the surface parking lots in the area.  Their is enough business and residents in the 6 blocks or so that make up the city market to warrant developing those lots.  Look at the lot directly west of the market on the north end of 5th and you could back into the sloping wall perfectly with a 2-4 story parking garage.  Have street level retail on the 5th street side and leave room on the backend (west side) side of the market for deliveries and special vehicles. 
And, how about room for a cafe and/or restaurant on the north side on the 4th street pathway, facing City Market park. I can't imagine how popular that park would be to hang out if there were a couple restaurants surrounding it. The coffeehouse opening up on that side would be a nice start.
kc-vino
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kc-vino »

Their is a new gardening store just west of Dos Hombres called "Green Aches" I believe.  Does anybody have any information on this place?  An extension of Planters? 

Separate but related....what is above Restaurant Supply and the building directly south of the RS building.  This is prime redevelopment space. 
Put your money where your mouth is...live downtown.  Get out of the car and walk, shop, and play in the city.  Don't bring a suburban attitude/lifestyle to the city, rather be apart of changing the urban fabric for the better.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

kc-vino wrote: Their is a new gardening store just west of Dos Hombres called "Green Aches" I believe.  Does anybody have any information on this place?  An extension of Planters? 

Separate but related....what is above Restaurant Supply and the building directly south of the RS building.  This is prime redevelopment space. 
The Green Spot.  Separate from Planter's, more "organic".  The two companies have referred biz to one another prior to the opening of Green Spot in the RiverMarket.

Index Restaurant Supply warehouses throughout their bldg and have no desire to change.

The bldg on the corner, 429 Main, is owned by an individual who has a residence on top and private warehousing in the rest of the building. Also has zero interest in selling, developing, etc...
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Also Vintiques will re-open on Saturday, May 10th. In the City Market.
400 Grand Blvd.  Suite 426  (corner of Third St., and Grand Blvd.)
Hours:  Thursday & Friday 10-6  Saturday 8-5, Sunday 10-3 They used to be over just west of Broadway about 26th street.

www.vintiqueskc.com
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

trailerkid wrote: RM is the most accessible urban neighborhood for redevelopment. The demo they need to further exploit is young, urban, professionals like Portland has done with the Pearl District. I'm not a big fan of the RM, but it has the right building stock, cleared lots, and location to become "the place to live" for young professionals. A lot more infill needs to happen that focuses on building more modern homes and businesses. Another case where the city needs to work with developers to plan something more than another city hodgepodge.
Totally agree. I kinda wish you could take all the businesses on 39th Street and move them to RM. Nothing against 39th, but that's the kinda vibe I wish RM had. And RM has a better physical landscape I think than 39th to accommodate such a district.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag